Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
You contradicted yourself. You said buy the mini, then you say buy the pro. Make up your mind!

No I didn’t I said DON’T buy the trash can Pro, nothing contradictory about it in the slightest.
The older cheese grater Pro can be upgraded and matches and beats the trash can Pro, but it involves a lot of fiddling, however I’d believe the new Mini with a decent EGPU could also possibly beat the trash can’t apron in performance. Although I haven’t seen any comparisons to back it up.

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
We had four 2013 mac pros at work. They were in steady use for over a three year period. Really nice machines to use. Only one continues to work anymore (mostly works, has intermittent glitches here and there)

Talk about a cold shower...
So far I'm under the impression that it affects older machines (mine was manufactured this June). I've also raised the fan speed slightly from 800 to 1000 rpm. Apart from that I'm just crossing my fingers.

Btw. I suppose we will know in a year or two the verdict on long term durability regarding the Mini if it's really running hot as reported.

Joestanxx

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2018
We had four 2013 mac pros at work. They were in steady use for over a three year period. Really nice machines to use. Only one continues to work anymore (mostly works, has intermittent glitches here and there), the other three quit working due to video card issues (failed outside applecare warranty window). Really expensive to replace proprietary video cards out of warranty. That, and the USB 3 ports never worked with USB 3 external disks properly, something to do with the Intel xeon chipset. Personally wouldn't buy one again.
No problems with usb 3 external disk here. Running 2 sprat raid enclosures

lundholmxo

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2019
Hi - jumping in here. I am also in the market of a new Mac. My current Mac is a 13" Macbook Pro (2016 with 4 thunderbolt ports). Why I need a new Mac is to have stationary workstation connected to my 32" Samsung 4K monitor.

Not doing video editing or gaming. My primary work is UI design in Sketch and frontend coding with Microsoft Visual Studio Code. And then lots of Youtube.

I've always wanted a Mac Pro 6.1 on my desk.

Is the D300/D500 GPU better than the Mac Mini 2018 (Intel UHD Graphics 630)?

And will you be able to use 4K 60hz in Mac Pro 6.1 via Mini Display port -> DisplayPort?

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Hi - jumping in here. I am also in the market of a new Mac. My current Mac is a 13" Macbook Pro (2016 with 4 thunderbolt ports). Why I need a new Mac is to have stationary workstation connected to my 32" Samsung 4K monitor.

Not doing video editing or gaming. My primary work is UI design in Sketch and frontend coding with Microsoft Visual Studio Code. And then lots of Youtube.

I've always wanted a Mac Pro 6.1 on my desk.

Is the D300/D500 GPU better than the Mac Mini 2018 (Intel UHD Graphics 630)?

And will you be able to use 4K 60hz in Mac Pro 6.1 via Mini Display port -> DisplayPort?
According to Geekbench, the D300/500 GPU is 4-5x performance of UHD630:

According to everymac, 4K is possible using the TB2 ports:
1573737374869.png

But I would suggest posting in the MacPro forum for advice/confirmation.
At what price can you get a used MP 6.1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.