Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will there be new Mac Pro computers announced at WWDC 2016?

• Total voters

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I want to clarify my yes vote.
The new MP will be a modest speed and spec bump.
It will not be a new or improved chassis or PS.
It will be thinner and lighter.
It will ship at the end of September.
It will be twice as expensive as a comparably performing DIY box from Newegg.

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
I'm suddenly tempted to chuck a potato at my 5,1 while it's running full tilt to see what happens :D

Now that literally made me chuckle a little!
[doublepost=1462495574][/doublepost]
I want to clarify my yes vote.
The new MP will be a modest speed and spec bump.
It will not be a new or improved chassis or PS.
It will be thinner and lighter.
It will ship at the end of September.
It will be twice as expensive as a comparably performing DIY box from Newegg.

Did you contradict yourself there? "It will not be a new or improved chassis" - "It will be thinner and lighter"...? Did I miss something?

Reactions: Jax44

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Now that literally made me chuckle a little!
[doublepost=1462495574][/doublepost]

Did you contradict yourself there? "It will not be a new or improved chassis" - "It will be thinner and lighter"...? Did I miss something?

It was apparently too little humor. :D

I should have gone with a thinner and lighter Jony Ive Signature Rose Gold Mac Semi-Pro.
Btw, whose idea was the trash can, uh, design?

Reactions: pat500000

NostromoUK

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Keeping my fingers crossed....this will decide whether I stick with Mac or go the way of the Workstation :eek:

Reactions: Aldaris

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
Yup. Don't make me type it again, I'm scaring myself :D

For work, the ignored, overpriced MacPros and underpowered iMacs are just not fit for pro video editing.

The nMP is seriously not enough power for you? I own 2 of them and think they are great. Granted the GPU and CPU are a little outdated, but they are still very powerful.

Reactions: NostromoUK

NostromoUK

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
They are powerful enough, but as you say, Apple have neglected them ..and the lure of amazing hardware, a lot cheaper is seducing me.

If however, Apple updates the MP in the coming months ..I will buy, buy, buy.

Reactions: accentaudio

Melodist

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2015
The nMP is seriously not enough power for you? I own 2 of them and think they are great. Granted the GPU and CPU are a little outdated, but they are still very powerful.

You must have loved the design and low carbon footprint, because these are the only two things the nMP has had to offer so far.

Reactions: ssgbryan

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
You must have loved the design and low carbon footprint, because these are the only two things the nMP has had to offer so far.

I don't agree with that at all. Yes, the specs are outdated, but it is still a very powerful machine. When it was first released it was VERY powerful. It is just lagging behind the times is all. Typical Apple.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Today new GeForce cards are going to be announced. I will make a prediction on a limb and say that they will work in the cMP with the web driver, but just like the 9 series it will not be native support. It will run in a compatibility mode (UDA) and that means not all the benefits will be seen and some quirks will still exist, especially if Nvidia doesn't fix all the glitches that have been appearing recently.

Reactions: ssgbryan

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
There will probably be a spec bump, expect new CPUs and probably new GPUs and thunderbolt 3.

Doubt the design will change though.

edit:
if it doesn't happen at WWDC, it will be before the end of the year. Suspect an update will probably be announced at WWDC even if they have nothing to ship yet (i.e., new spec released with availability on X date).

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
Today new GeForce cards are going to be announced. I will make a prediction on a limb and say that they will work in the cMP with the web driver, but just like the 9 series it will not be native support. It will run in a compatibility mode (UDA) and that means not all the benefits will be seen and some quirks will still exist, especially if Nvidia doesn't fix all the glitches that have been appearing recently.

Uh, wayyyyyyy off topic lol.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I don't agree with that at all. Yes, the specs are outdated, but it is still a very powerful machine. When it was first released it was VERY powerful. It is just lagging behind the times is all. Typical Apple.

As a "new generation Mac" (back in 2013), I don't think so.

The Maxed out nMP CPU is more or less the same performance as the dual X5690 cMP. How can we call that powerful if it's performance is almost the same as the last generation Mac? And the performance that a 2009 Machine can achieve?

That dual D700 performance can also be matched by installing 2x 7970 in the cMP (6G VRAM 7970 exist back in 2012, and which is cheaper than the D700).

There was few posts back in 2013 about how they made a cMP that match the nMP's performance but with only 1/3 of the cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.