Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunnlight99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2023
Hi everyone!

So I got a new MacBook Air M1 8 gb, macOS Big Sur, a week ago and I have already been experiencing some performance issues that I didn't expect to see at all. As soon as I turned it on, I immediately upgraded to Ventura.
Issues:
1) Sometimes when launching applications, a beach ball appears, for example, once this happened when opening the App Store and Adobe Lightroom.
2) When I tried to open the Customize Toolbar in Safari, the beach ball appeared and the computer completely freezed, I had to restart it using the Power button.
3) When I wanted to open the Details tab (which is next to the network name) in the Wi-Fi settings, it did not open it immediately, but after a minute.

After all that, I decided to clean the entire disk and downgrade from Ventura to Monterey, hoping that something would change. And after getting the whole disk cleared, I started installing Monterey. And this is where the real fun begins... I got the beach ball while I was waiting for the Monterey Terms and Conditions to pop up on my screen. It couldn't load this long text with terms and conditions right away. The beach ball was spinning for 5 seconds. I was truly shocked. I have an assumption that the problem is not with the Ventura itself (since at that moment the disk was completely empty) but the problem is with the laptop itself.
I really feel confused and don't know what to do. I'm thinking about taking it back to the store and getting the same macbook instead, but I can't be sure that the next mac won't have similar problems. I really need your advice.

Last edited:

furmonster

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2022
I've got one like this (in a corporate "fleet" of a few dozen), sadly out of warranty.

Send it back now and get another.

Reactions: StoneJack

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yeah this could be the rare bad one. What method did you use to wipe and re-install Monterey?

One thing…you said "Adobe Lightroom" and also "I immediately upgraded to Ventura". Can it be ascertained that you migrated your user account(s), applications and settings from a prior Mac or Time Machine backup before upgrading? Just wondering how Lightroom got on there.

Next…a Mac that has just been migrated will have to spend some time indexing for Spotlight which can muck up the works.

But something does seem off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.