Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
The new Razer Blade Stealth costs $1,599. The new Macbook Pro costs $1,799. The new Razer Blade has a 4K display and a 512 GB SSD. The new Macbook Pro has a QHD display and 256 GB SSD. The Stealth has a 7th generation dual core i7 clocked at 2.7 Ghz. The Macbook Pro has a 6th generation dual core i5 clocked at 2.9 Ghz. The Stealth has 16 GB of RAM. The Macbook Pro has 8 GB. The Stealth has Intel HD 620 Graphics. The Macbook Pro has Intel Iris 550 graphics. The Stealth has two USB 3.0 type A and one thunderbolt 3 capable USB type c port. The macbook pro has 4 thunderbolt 3 capable usb type c ports. The Stealth has a touchscreen. The Macbook Pro has a 'touchbar'. The Stealth has a 1080p webcam. The Macbook Pro has a 720p webcam. The Stealth weighs 2.84 lbs and is 0.52" thick. The Macbook Pro weighs 3.02 lbs and is 0.59" thick.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The Razer Blade Stealth is a very impressive machine. It gave me hope that Apple could build a thinner and lighter MacBook Air since the Blade Stealth has a 12.5" display, but frankly this is a bit more technologically impressive than the new MacBook Pro for its size, touch bar notwithstanding.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
If Windows was that buggy a lot of companies wouldn't be using to run professional software like...

OrCAD used by Intel
CATIA used by Tesla
Solidworks used by DJI
ANSYS structural analysis that Apple should've used to foresee the iPhone 6 bending issue

Also, it wouldn't be the premier gaming platform.

Reactions: Ghost31 and apolloa

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
The GPU in that Razer Blade Stealth offers worse performance than LAST year's 13" MBP. This year's is at least 50% faster. Will have to look into the CPU, I haven't seen that one before.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
The razers are very nice and they did a great job. I completely expect a company like razer to come in at a better price point for spec value. Is their ecosystem and user experience comparable to apples? Probably not. Still hard for a lot of people to quantify but Apple does nail the user experience better than everyone else right now. Whether that's worth the price you pay is up to you.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
This is a poor comparison. Razer Blade has horrendous battery life. Macbook Pro is definitely better. Cost to Value, Macbook Pro definitely wins out in this comparison.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Completely different CPU and GPU class. The MBP destroys it in both.

No it does not, the Razer uses the latest CPU and as for graphics, you can get the Razer Core which is its break out box that holds desktop graphics cards, how about a thin light laptop on the road and when at home it can use a graphics card that will 'Destroy' the graphics of ANY Apple computer, Nvidia Ti anyone? You could put a 1070 in it and destroy the new MacBook.

digitalm3

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2014
SoCal
Everything looks good on paper but it would be nice to see side by side comparison.

Could be my searching skills but i'm not finding hits for either on geekbench yet.

** Found something:

Razor Blade Steath (Kaby)
Intel Core i7-7500U @ 2.90 GHz
Multi-Core Geekbench 4 Score: avg 8000

Closest Match:

Macbook Pro 2015 (Broadwell)
Intel Core i7-5557U @ 3.10 GHz
Multi-Core Geekbench 4 Score: avg 7500

Doesn't seem that far apart for the MacBook Pro being 1 year old and 2 CPU generations behind. I will admit I'm not totally sure what i'm searching for so please correct me if i'm wrong :)

Adding links to results:
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/856058
https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/877895

Last edited:
Reactions: Analog Kid

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
This is a poor comparison. Razer Blade has horrendous battery life. Macbook Pro is definitely better. Cost to Value, Macbook Pro definitely wins out in this comparison.

Battery life alone isn't a useful metric. A more useful metric is work done per battery unit. For 10-bit 60fps 4K h265 or VP9 video decoding the 7th gen Intel CPU with full hardware acceleration would destroy the 6th gen on both performance and battery life since it has to resort to software decoding which taxes the CPU, drains the battery and video playback still isn't smooth.

Last edited:

Sully

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
On specs alone, the Stealth looks like a great machine. But, before you buy it, research it on Reddit. There are a few reports of issues with the computer and horrible customer service. It was enough to make me think twice.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
No it does not, the Razer uses the latest CPU and as for graphics, you can get the Razer Core which is its break out box that holds desktop graphics cards, how about a thin light laptop on the road and when at home it can use a graphics card that will 'Destroy' the graphics of ANY Apple computer, Nvidia Ti anyone? You could put a 1070 in it and destroy the new MacBook.

Standalone the MacBook GPU destroys it. Gonna look like quite a fool trying to whip out an external GPU on a plane or bus. As for razer core, it uses TB3 which the new MBP has as well. Nothing to stop it from working with the MBP, or a better non-razer product for that matter. Core has had a rough go so far with poor build quality and compatibility problems even with their own laptops.

Reactions: Sully

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Standalone the MacBook GPU destroys it. Gonna look like quite a fool trying to whip out an external GPU on a plane or bus. As for razer core, it uses TB3 which the new MBP has as well. Nothing to stop it from working with the MBP, or a better non-razer product for that matter. Core has had a rough go so far with poor build quality and compatibility problems even with their own laptops.

Nothing to stop the Razer core working with the MacBook EXCEPT The fact it's an Apple laptop and is NOT supported. You made a ridiculous comment there.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Doubt it, boot camp uses Apple drivers.
Boot camp allows you to run windows, it doesn't depend on Apple drivers. Windows 10 has native support for TB3, it's not Apple proprietary. Folks are already using eGPU enclosures over TB2 in bootcamp on older macbooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.