Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The wife and I are finally "springing" for a new mattress. Intrigued by all of the new companies in the market. After reading reviews from Sleepopolis and SleepSherpa, I've narrowed it down to a few contenders in the $500-$900 range.
  • Tuft & Needle
  • Casper
  • Brooklyn Bedding
  • Ghost bed
  • Leesa
  • Lull
Any input or feedback? Anyone have firsthand experience with these?

Thanks.

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I would think you should go to a store and try them out - everyone is different and what might suit me, may not be comfortable to you

Thanks for the feedback.

I have gone to local furniture stores, and we've decided to try out one of the new styles of factory-direct, foam mattresses. They offer less bloated middleman mark-up. However, these companies typically aren't available in stores, so trying them out in that way isn't feasible. All of the companies list above do have warranties (typically 10-years) and trial periods anywhere from 30-120 days, risk free.

Just seeing if anyone else had pulled the trigger and had firsthand experience.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Having purchased a new mattress last year I ultimately ended up going with one from a local furniture store mostly due to their delivery and pickup offers and a sale they had going on in addition to paying the tax on it. It wasn't one of the brands that was mentioned earlier so I can't be of much help with those unfortunately.

Not having bought a mattress in quite some time until last year I was surprised and disappointed that the mattresses (at least ones with coils) are no longer double-sided where they can be flipped over every few months or so to prolong their life and avoid worn out spots.

Reactions: willmtaylor

dmunz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Mattress shopping is about the only thing worse than buying a used car... There is no way to comparison shop and even if you do, the stores are all owned by the same people.

FWIW
DLM

Reactions: A.Goldberg

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I purchased a Yogabed mattress about 15 months ago, so while I can't comment on the specific brands you've chosen to focus on, and obviously can't compare, I have mail ordered a mattress and can say that I do love my Yogabed. Good luck with your purchase.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
We recently scored a nice Stearns and Foster, isolated springs, hybrid memory foam layers, pretty swell.

Don't skimp on pillows, got some bamboo material, foam cubed pillows, they're _so_ nice.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
We recently scored a nice Stearns and Foster, isolated springs, hybrid memory foam layers, pretty swell.

Don't skimp on pillows, got some bamboo material, foam cubed pillows, they're _so_ nice.
Pretty pricey too.

Thanks for the pillow advice though.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CT37L0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've purchase three of these (master bedroom, guest bedroom, and sold one to a relative when I moved across the country). I've been very happy with it. I also had a guest come over and they liked it so much they bought one for their home.

Stating the obvious, everyone has their own preference when it comes to mattresses. I prefer these memory foam mattresses for the "soft firmness". The top 2 inch layer of memory foam offers some soft comfort without a "sinking" feeling, while the other 10 inches of the mattress is a more firm material offering strong support. I feel like my bones/frame are being supported and almost "suspended" while my muscles get a more relaxing support. Haha, it's hard to explain. Either way, I'm a fan of these mattresses, and I'm willing to guess that most memory foam mattresses offer a similar experience.

For what it's worth, I used to have pretty consistent back pain and discomfort quite often, and since switching to this type of mattress my back pain has all but vanished.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Pretty pricey too.

Thanks for the pillow advice though.

It was a touch on the pricey side, but we used our previous mattress for a long time, and figured if this one gets a typical life cycle, it's not all that much per year.

The new pillow were a good score, from Amazon, there's made in the USA variants for 3x the price, but I wasn't sure about them, so I went with the imported version as kind of a test (definitely going to get more).

FWIW, this is the pillow:

https://amzn.com/B01DD8UH8A

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
However, these companies typically aren't available in stores, so trying them out in that way isn't feasible.
Understood, but mattresses are one of those things that is difficult buying blind. Yeah most if not all of those you listed offer an unconditional money back guarantee but those folks are counting on human nature, as its a pain in the neck to something like that returned (even if they handle it all). They're counting on that it will be good enough, so the consumer won't be bothered enough to proceed with a return.

I have a Tempur-Pedic memory mattress now going on 10 years. Its been great and still holding up. I went to a furniture store that has a great reputation and they helped us figure out what fits our needs the most. I agree many other retailers make it harder, but you can find a retailer that will without pushing you to a particularly expensive model.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Understood, but mattresses are one of those things that is difficult buying blind. Yeah most if not all of those you listed offer an unconditional money back guarantee but those folks are counting on human nature, as its a pain in the neck to something like that returned (even if they handle it all). They're counting on that it will be good enough, so the consumer won't be bothered enough to proceed with a return.

I have a Tempur-Pedic memory mattress now going on 10 years. Its been great and still holding up. I went to a furniture store that has a great reputation and they helped us figure out what fits our needs the most. I agree many other retailers make it harder, but you can find a retailer that will without pushing you to a particularly expensive model.
All great points.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012

I had the opposite experience. I moved from a traditional mattress that was probably 15 years old to a Sleep Number and couldn't be happier. I went from visiting a Chiropractor as often as twice a month to having not been in over a year, maybe closer to 2 years (I've had my mattress 3 years now). It has done WONDERS for my back. The Sleep Number has a 20-year warranty so if you keep it that long the cost amortizes over a longer period making it a better value compared to a comparably-priced traditional mattress.

On the pillows, I have similar ones, bought from, of all places, Neweggflash.com In fact, here's the listing from that sale 2-Pack: Ultimate Bamboo Memory Foam Pillow Queen – NeweggFlash.com Yes, it was a year ago but I LOVE them.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
The wife and I are finally "springing" for a new mattress. Intrigued by all of the new companies in the market. After reading reviews from Sleepopolis and SleepSherpa, I've narrowed it down to a few contenders in the $500-$900 range.
  • Tuft & Needle
  • Casper
  • Brooklyn Bedding
  • Ghost bed
  • Leesa
  • Lull
Any input or feedback? Anyone have firsthand experience with these?

Thanks.
I personally got a tuft and needle mattress and I feel like it was worth the price. my sleep changed overnight :)D) and I couldn't be more satisfied with it. But I do agree if you have the ability you should try them out before you purchase one.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Thanks for all of the replies.

After reading dozens of articles, perusing several comparison websites, and wading through countless reviews, I pulled the trigger on Brooklyn Bedding and their #BestMattressEver.

They've been around for 20+ years, own their own factory, have a nice balance of quality/value, make a traditional/latex hybrid, offer a 120-night trial, and have a 10-year warranty.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Has anyone here ever bought a mattress online from Casper, Leesa, Lull, Tuft & Needle, or any of these new 'hip' mattress companies?

Some of them have lots of great Amazon reviews and do pretty well in Consumer Reports, beating traditional brands like Stearns & Foster, Sealy, etc. Just wary of buying a mattress sight unseen, even with their free return policies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.