Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
We purchased from Yogabed when we moved into our house 2 years ago. They seemed to get good reviews, at a good price, and I love the zip off mattress cover. That feature is great. I recommend them to anyone who is looking for a new mattress. I'm sure all the companies you mentioned are pretty similar.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Has anyone here ever bought a mattress online from Casper, Leesa, Lull, Tuft & Needle, or any of these new 'hip' mattress companies?

Some of them have lots of great Amazon reviews and do pretty well in Consumer Reports, beating traditional brands like Stearns & Foster, Sealy, etc. Just wary of buying a mattress sight unseen, even with their free return policies.
Some discussion of this kind of thing at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/new-mattress.1984613/ that might perhaps be of some help.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I can't imagine doing it. my wife and I have to test beds out we like a firm bed and need to see how it feels. though I wish we could buy online but they look way to soft for us.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
My biggest gripe is that you have to be really diligent because the major brands (not specialty) release a few mattresses but it's called something different at every store and most of the time the specs are same but the descriptions (specs) aren't 100% in alignment.

Reactions: steve knight

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Has anyone here ever bought a mattress online from Casper, Leesa, Lull, Tuft & Needle, or any of these new 'hip' mattress companies?

Some of them have lots of great Amazon reviews and do pretty well in Consumer Reports, beating traditional brands like Stearns & Foster, Sealy, etc. Just wary of buying a mattress sight unseen, even with their free return policies.

I would never buy a mattress online no matter what their reviews are or the price. You need to test the various mattresses to find the best one for you.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO

Bought a Casper and love it. However, we drove to a nearby West Elm to "try it out" https://casper.com/west-elm. The fact that it came with a 100 day trial made it seem like a less risky prospect than buying through a dedicated mattress store that would not refund your money. The biggest issue is finding a place for the "old" mattress in case we decided to return the Casper before the 100 days were up. Related, is disposing of the old mattress. Many local recycling sites will take it for a small charge.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Thanks for all of the replies.

After reading dozens of articles, perusing several comparison websites, and wading through countless reviews, I pulled the trigger on Brooklyn Bedding and their #BestMattressEver.

They've been around for 20+ years, own their own factory, have a nice balance of quality/value, make a traditional/latex hybrid, offer a 120-night trial, and have a 10-year warranty.

I know this is an older thread, but how do you like the mattress? I am looking for a new one as the one we have is done after about 10 years. Nice run, but our backs are killing us right now.

It has been a few months for you so I was curious if you like it still.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I know this is an older thread, but how do you like the mattress? I am looking for a new one as the one we have is done after about 10 years. Nice run, but our backs are killing us right now.

It has been a few months for you so I was curious if you like it still.

We like it quite a bit. The wife has thanked me several times for insisting that we spring for a new mattress.

I did put a breathable cover on it to make it a bit more plush, but I don't think it makes much difference.

It isn't too hot, it has nice support, and it had no off-putting odors. My only nit to pick is that I sometimes wish it were a bit softer. However, I have spent too much time on our cushy living room sofa because of a newborn.

Overall, I'd recommend and would buy again. Besides, it's a risk free purchase.

Reactions: rhett7660

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
We love it, have had it for about a week now. We also really like the pillows they sent us! So far so good!!!
Great. Glad to hear it. Personal recommendations for others always make me a bit nervous.

The pillows are nice but too full for me though. I'm considering removing some of the filling though.

goose <3

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2018
Hello. I had Casper and returned it. I was tempted by all that advertisement about it and decided to give it a try. It was such a hot hell for New Mexico that I had to return it almost immediately
About reviews - did you know that Casper now is an owner of sleepopolis and mattressclarity? They even have this info in disclaimer. And if you check web archive version of those websites before and after the purchase you will see the huge difference in casper rating (spoiler - it increased)
For this reason I am quite sceptical when I see reviews where Casper has a first place in rating. About other ones from your list. On the stage of researched I looked through lots of buying guides and narrowed choice to 3 main - TN, Leesa and Eve (for it's stunning design mostly:))
Then here I found that TN doesn't fit me because it is too firm for me (I am side sleeper) and Leesa is one of the perfect choices for my sleeping style and it has cooling avena foam. Eve was okay too but I decided to sacrifice design before functionality. And finally I received what I needed.
I hope my experience will help you.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I can say, the Brooklyn Bedding "Best Mattress Ever" is still going strong in our household. Love it still and still using the pillows. We did take some of the padding out, but overall we are really pleased with it! Absolutely no complaints!

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I can say, the Brooklyn Bedding "Best Mattress Ever" is still going strong in our household. Love it still and still using the pillows. We did take some of the padding out, but overall we are really pleased with it! Absolutely no complaints!
Same here, actually. Currently in a rental as we renovate a newly purchased home, and we’re really missing our Brooklyn Bedding.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
About 4 years ago bought a firm Latex Bliss brand mattress, 100% latex, and it’s still wonderful. However, I’m not sure if that specific company still exists.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
About 4 years ago bought a firm Latex Bliss brand mattress, 100% latex, and it’s still wonderful. However, I’m not sure if that specific company still exists.

100% Latex!>!!?!? Why do I have visions of you sleeping on character from "Pulp Fiction" known as the Gimp!? I kid of course.

Does it get hot? It would seem Latex would be very hot to sleep on.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
100% Latex!>!!?!? Why do I have visions of you sleeping on character from "Pulp Fiction" known as the Gimp!? I kid of course.

Does it get hot? It would seem Latex would be very hot to sleep on.
Latex is superior to foam, because it stays cool. Those foam mattresses are the ones that get hot, requiring those little bits of cool material (forget the name) to moderate their temps.

Mattress solutions that typically sleep cooler are all natural latex rubber mattresses. Their pinhole cores a natural result of the manufacturing process can increase mattress airflow significantly.
https://www.stlbeds.com/mattress-that-stays-cool/

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Latex is superior to foam, because it stays cool. Those foam mattresses are the ones that get hot, requiring those little bits of cool material (forget the name) to moderate their temps.

Mattress solutions that typically sleep cooler are all natural latex rubber mattresses. Their pinhole cores a natural result of the manufacturing process can increase mattress airflow significantly.
https://www.stlbeds.com/mattress-that-stays-cool/

Oh! That is good to know!

Matersson

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2018
Detroit
Having purchased a new mattress for heavy people in this link, last year I ultimately ended up going with one from a local furniture store mostly due to their delivery and pickup offers and a sale they had going on in addition to paying the tax on it. It wasn't one of the brands that was mentioned earlier so I can't be of much help with those unfortunately.

Not having bought a mattress in quite some time until last year I was surprised and disappointed that the mattresses (at least ones with coils) are no longer double-sided where they can be flipped over every few months or so to prolong their life and avoid worn out spots.

In occasion of double-sided mattresses, which brand do you speak about ?? I just did not pay attention to this nuance before.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I have loved my memory-foam mattress from day one. It took maybe 1-3 more months to replace all pillows in bed to memory-fram too. Wow, the change from down to these are almost bigger.

Memory-foam all the way, I simply love it and have made my sleep deeper and even more restful :)

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Don't skimp on pillows, got some bamboo material, foam cubed pillows, they're _so_ nice.

I buy bulk buckwheat hulls and make my own pillows. I won’t use anything else and highly recommend it especially to someone with neck issues.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In occasion of double-sided mattresses, which brand do you speak about ?? I just did not pay attention to this nuance before.
Most of the mattresses I've had before (purchased prior to 2005 or so) were double-sided essentially.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.