Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
You can see different aspects of the issue in different apps. On maps the rotation gesture works 6 out of 10 times, for example.

On games like Asphalt 8 I select touch the sides of the screen to move the car to the left or right, and during the race sometimes the car loses control and crashes to the wall after I touch to move to one side. It's a slight touch, but the game thinks I'm still touching the screen and the car continues to the right or left until it crashes to a wall.

On Dead Trigger I saw problems too when moving around the camera while also walking around (when the tablet is sitting on a soft surface like the couch. On XDA they call it the grounding problem).

Sometimes also the screen freezes for a free seconds when using the Swype keyboard.

All this started to happen when updated to the latest version.

This app may help you find your answer:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rn.yamtt&hl=en

I'm going to do a few tests with it myself.

EDIT: Couldn't find any issues with my Nexus 7. If you don't either, it may just be those apps...?

ajumbaje

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2005
VA
there a good pouch that I could fit a nexus 7 with a poetic slimline in? when I had my ipad, I had the smart cover with a timbuk2 plush case.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
there a good pouch that I could fit a nexus 7 with a poetic slimline in? when I had my ipad, I had the smart cover with a timbuk2 plush case.

Go on eBay and look. I got a tpu case for $4.99 and have a smart cover case for $14.00 shipped from Japan that should be arriving today. Tpu case fits perfect.

There are plenty of pouches also, just search 7" tablet pouches and a bunch come up. I also ordered a carry pouch for my N7 for $8.00 that fits the tablet and charger and has a detachable strap. I always get my accessories from eBay.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Got my Nillkin Smart Cover today. If any of you guys like smart covers check them out on eBay. $14.00 shipped, love how the screen automatically wakes/sleeps. Adds a sleek look to the already sleek N7. :D

Last edited:

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I am pretty impressed by the battery life. My N7 has been on for 1 day, 19 hours, screen has been on for 7 hours, 2 minutes and I still have 21%. This is with heavy app downloads, heavy surfing (posting on here), lots of YouTube videos, lots of gameplay (angry birds, dumb ways to die, dead trigger), lots of music streaming on Pandora. This is my first tablet so I have nothing to compare it to, but I am nothing but satisfied with this product. I think one of my favorite things is it's size. So easy to grab and go and extremely comfortable in the hand.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
This app may help you find your answer:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rn.yamtt&hl=en

I'm going to do a few tests with it myself.

EDIT: Couldn't find any issues with my Nexus 7. If you don't either, it may just be those apps...?

Try this:

Put the Nexus 7 flat on two surfaces: a soft one like your couch and a solid one like a table.

Then try doing stuff like playing games, moving around menus, etc.

Just found out that on a solid surface the screen registers only 50% of touches. Really bad.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Try this:

Put the Nexus 7 flat on two surfaces: a soft one like your couch and a solid one like a table.

Just found out that on a solid surface the screen registers only 50% of touches. Really bad.

I'll test it out. But why would that be? Why would the surface affect the touch screen aversely?

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'll test it out. But why would that be? Why would the surface affect the touch screen aversely?

Don't know, but many people on XDA also have this weird issue. They call it the "grounding issue".

Try playing 'Dead Trigger' with the tablet flat on a table and then also flat on the couch. Try moving the camera and the guy at the same time and see if sometimes the movements are not registered.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Try this:

Mine seems to work the same no matter what the surface. I find it works best and most accurate in the hand but it registers my touches both on my couch and coffee table.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Anyone root and use cyanogen mod on the new N7? I have the toolkit and have my N7 unlocked and rooted but I've heard that stock Android is the best experience and a custom ROM such as CM isn't necessary on the N7. Maybe I should wait for 4.4?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Don't know, but many people on XDA also have this weird issue. They call it the "grounding issue".

Try playing 'Dead Trigger' with the tablet flat on a table and then also flat on the couch. Try moving the camera and the guy at the same time and see if sometimes the movements are not registered.

I played Dead Trigger 2 for a few minutes on my table -- hard surface. No problems.

I tried it again on my bed -- soft surface. No problems there.

Not sure what's going on. :T

If you haven't already (I don't remember what you did actually...) I'd seriously exchange your device.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Thinking of selling my 2012 N7 for the new one. Is it worth it? Is there a big jump from the old nexus?

From everything I have read, it seems like a massive difference.

I own both a 2011 Nexus 7 and a 2013 Nexus 7. I bought the 2013 as a replacement after I cracked the screen on the 2011, but then I fixed the 2011, so both are still working.

The difference between them is considerable. The 2013 is a big improvement. I loved my 2011 N7, but I only ever reach for it if I can't find the 2013 N7.

Thinner, lighter, narrower (which makes it FAR easier to hold in your hand), better sound (2 speakers), faster & smoother operation, a notification light and even a camera (which i don't use much, but is nice to have as an option).

Then there is the 1080 screen. Is it worth an upgrade? Yes, I think it is.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I played Dead Trigger 2 for a few minutes on my table -- hard surface. No problems.

I tried it again on my bed -- soft surface. No problems there.

Not sure what's going on. :T

If you haven't already (I don't remember what you did actually...) I'd seriously exchange your device.

I exchanged once. I've got until tomorrow to change the new one. I was thinking of waiting until 4.4 to see if Google releases a definite fix.

When was your nexus 7 built? Mine in August and previous one in July.

I actually didn't have this problems with the device the first day, when I was on the previous software version J I think. I updated the next day to Q and then this bug appeared again.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I exchanged once. I've got until tomorrow to change the new one. I was thinking of waiting until 4.4 to see if Google releases a definite fix.

When was your nexus 7 built? Mine in August and previous one in July.

Mine was built in August. I think you should try to exchange again because my touch screen is 100% fine. Especially if tomorrow is your last day.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
How do i find out?

On the box. You will see it says "made in China" and date it was built. Mine says 08/13. August.

Maybe yours was made in 09 and they fixed the issue by then.

Im trying to decide now if I exchange the tablet tomorrow, which is my last day to do so. If I do I dont think I will buy another one. I would buy an iPad Mini 2, but I just dont like iOS.

Google has a lot of issue with the Nexus line. My previous Nexus 10 had reboots, freezes and a problem with the GPU. Those weren't resolved until 4.3, more than 6 months later. I could deal with some reboots and freezes, but I cant with the touchscreen problem on these Nexus 7.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
On the box. You will see it says "made in China" and date it was built. Mine says 08/13. August.

Im trying to decide now if I exchange the tablet tomorrow, which is my last day to do so. If I do I dont think I will buy another one. I would buy an iPad Mini 2, but I just dont like iOS.

Google has a lot of issue with the Nexus line. My previous Nexus 10 had reboots, freezes and a problem with the GPU. Those weren't resolved until 4.3, more than 6 months later. I could deal with some reboots and freezes, but I cant with the touchscreen problem on these Nexus 7.

I would try one more time and then if it gives you issues get something else. Again, my N7 was built 08/2013 too, and can honestly say it's perfect.

I had to go through two N7's though before getting a perfect one. First one wouldn't wirelessly charge, second one had a weird power button that wasn't very springy which made it hard to press. The one I have now is perfect. No touchscreen issues, wireless charging works great, all buttons fine. Third time was a charm in my case.

I really love the N7 that's why I kept exchanging it for a new one, I felt I was bound to get one that was perfect and I finally did. The device itself is sound, well built and feels durable but it's made by a company that doesnt have the best quality control (Asus). But again, the Nexus 7 is near perfect in my opinion, I can't put it down. I would have maybe got a first gen. iPad mini if I decided not to keep the N7, since now the price lowered to $299. But either way I couldn't pass up the N7 for it's price, specs and sheer performance and because it feels so comfortable in the hand with the ability to palm it. It's a killer tablet for such an entry level price.

Last edited:

ajumbaje

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2005
VA

I want to say mine was july or august. Dont think I have a lemon...yet. Would I go through where I bought it or asus?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

I'll check when I get home. It's unfortunate you can't find a unit that works. If you've exchanged once already and don't want to again, 100% understandable. Google deserves to lose a customer if they can't get it right. After going through issues with three or four Nexus 4's earlier this year, I gave up, too.

At the same time, it sucks you have to downgrade, as you feel, to iOS.

It could just be that large batch that your store got (what store are you exchanging it at anyway?). You could try your luck at another store or from the Play Store.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'll check when I get home. It's unfortunate you can't find a unit that works. If you've exchanged once already and don't want to again, 100% understandable. Google deserves to lose a customer if they can't get it right. After going through issues with three or four Nexus 4's earlier this year, I gave up, too.

At the same time, it sucks you have to downgrade, as you feel, to iOS.

It could just be that large batch that your store got (what store are you exchanging it at anyway?). You could try your luck at another store or from the Play Store.

Yeah, it really sucks. I love this tablet. Its the best one out there for me. I really dont want to buy a different one.

Both Nexus 7 I've tried are actually from two different stores. I had some serious trouble when I went to exchange the first one to the store I bought it in. I told them about the touchscreen issue and they didnt believe me. I had to spent almost 30 minutes there explaining everything to them. I got angry and told them I wanted to return it directly. So much trouble for wanting an exchange...

Also, Google Play doesnt ship to were I live, so I cant try that route.

That's why I dont want to go through all the hassle again. Just return it and see what happens with 4.4 and maybe in the next months.

Maybe I could buy the Mini 2 and in the next couple of months sell it and buy the Nexus 7 again if I hear good reports that the issue has been fixed. I use a tablet daily and cant be without one for months waiting for Google or Asus to release a fix.

And I seriously dont like iOS, but Im sure the Mini 2 wont have so much problems. I dont see another Android tablet as good as the Nexus 7: price, materials (I love the back material), updates, stock experience, 32GB option, full HD screen, etc.

Again, Google should do better with their Nexus line.

Will decide in the next couple of hours what to do. If I keep the Nexus 7 hoping for a fix (be it 4.4 or whatever) I could end up with a defective unit that I cant sell in the future.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, it really sucks. I love this tablet. Its the best one out there for me. I really dont want to buy a different one.

Both Nexus 7 I've tried are actually from two different stores. I had some serious trouble when I went to exchange the first one to the store I bought it in. I told them about the touchscreen issue and they didnt believe me. I had to spent almost 30 minutes there explaining everything to them. I got angry and told them I wanted to return it directly. So much trouble for wanting an exchange...

That's why I dont want to go through all the hassle again. Just return it and see what happens with 4.4 and maybe in the next months.

Maybe I could buy the Mini 2 and in the next couple of months sell it and buy the Nexus 7 again if I hear good reports that the issue has been fixed. I use a tablet daily and cant be without one for months waiting for Google or Asus to release a fix.

And I seriously dont like iOS, but Im sure the Mini 2 wont have so much problems. I dont see another Android tablet as good as the Nexus 7: price, materials (I love the back material), updates, stock experience, 32GB option, full HD screen, etc.

Will decide in the next couple of hours what to do. If I keep the Nexus 7 hoping for a fix (be it 4.4 or whatever) I could end up with a defective unit that I cant sell in the future.

Indeed. Do what you must. I'm sure the Mini 2 will be nice, regardless.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA

That's exactly how I felt, it really sucked to get a defective unit, but I had my heart set on owning the N7. But if you truly don't want to worry about getting one with an issue, then just get whatever you want. Or simply return it for your money back and make your decision later.

And like you said, Google should work on the quality. The N7 is solid, and built great and feels durable, even saw a few drop tests on YouTube and it withstood a lot. But again, the problem is the quality control because its made by Asus. It's a great device when there are no defects. Luckily, my third one is perfect and I can enjoy it the way the N7 is meant to be enjoyed.

I am looking forward to seeing what 4.4 will bring and how well the 7 will run it. And like you said, maybe it could bring a solution to issues that you and some others say they are having with the touch screen.

Do what you want though. Both Nexus 7 and iPad mini are great devices. Definitely the top two tablets in the "small tablet category". Also, you can maybe wait for LG's 8.3" G-pad that will be selling soon. I believe it is $350 though.

Last edited:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Well...

Just made two videos with my SGS3 showing the problem if I decide to return it tomorrow. That way I can show it to the store guys.

Im uploading it to YouTube so you guys can see it. This is the "grounding" issue, when the tablet is flat on a surface, but I've also experienced different issues with the touchscreen when holding it with my hands, like when playing games.

Maybe I could go for the LG G Pad 8.3... Ugh... why this has to happen...

EDIT: Uploaded the video to YouTube. Search for "Nexus 7 problem" with filter last hour or last 24 hours.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.