Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
I can't wait. Now I'm glad I didn't sell my D40 to get a D80 and a 50 1.8 lens.

Honestly, and this is purely my own opinion so don't flame me for it. But I dont think a single lens would have been enough for me to keep the D40 as my sole DSLR. The D80/D90 can move you much further than the limited D40. HOWEVER, that being said, I do plan on keeping my D40 for IR shots, which the D80 does not do well.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Honestly, and this is purely my own opinion so don't flame me for it. But I dont think a single lens would have been enough for me to keep the D40 as my sole DSLR. The D80/D90 can move you much further than the limited D40. HOWEVER, that being said, I do plan on keeping my D40 for IR shots, which the D80 does not do well.

How exactly do you think the D40 is limited?

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
How exactly do you think the D40 is limited?

Menu use is limited in my mind, especially after owning a D300. Quickly changing settings on a D40 is more difficult than doing it on a more advanced camera. There's also the ISO limitation. My D300 looks good through ISO 1600, whereas the D40 shows obvious noise at that level.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Menu use is limited in my mind, especially after owning a D300. Quickly changing settings on a D40 is more difficult than doing it on a more advanced camera. There's also the ISO limitation. My D300 looks good through ISO 1600, whereas the D40 shows obvious noise at that level.

Yes, I'd echo all that -- especially about changing settings, it's so annoying having to use menus all the time -- in addition to the only 3 autofocus points and no top LCD. Both of which I'm loving on my new D90 even though I've had it in my hands less than 12 hours.

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
The D90 isn't a lot better menu wise from the other consumer level Nikons. While it is a little better, you still don't have close to the buttons the Pro level D300 and up have which allows them to change on the fly. This is a big thing I hate about my D90. You still have to go into the menu to change a lot of things and it is a pain to do so when you are out in the field. There are other things( I want a more solid body-- I don't like the feel of the plastic D90-- feel kind of cheap to me--my opinion--plus other things the D300 does/has). The D90 is a nice consumer grade camera, but I wish I didn't buy it and got the D300 instead initially. I tried to save a few bucks, but I have regretted for a while now. I'm looking to sell it for a D300 soon.

I don't need the camera police on here telling me why I'm wrong which happens all the time when someone wants to upgrade a body or get into a new dslr for the first time. Buy better lenses and not a better body. Buy a tripod. Buy a book. It gets old. I will buy whatever I want.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
The D90 isn't a lot better menu wise from the other consumer level Nikons. While it is a little better, you still don't have close to the buttons the Pro level D300 and up have which allows them to change on the fly. This is a big thing I hate about my D90. You still have to go into the menu to change a lot of things and it is a pain to do so when you are out in the field. There are other things( I want a more solid body-- I don't like the feel of the plastic D90-- feel kind of cheap to me--my opinion--plus other things the D300 does/has). The D90 is a nice consumer grade camera, but I wish I didn't buy it and got the D300 instead initially. I tried to save a few bucks, but I have regretted for a while now. I'm looking to sell it for a D300 soon.

I don't need the camera police on here telling me why I'm wrong which happens all the time when someone wants to upgrade a body or get into a new dslr for the first time. Buy better lenses and not a better body. Buy a tripod. Buy a book. It gets old. I will buy whatever I want.

You should do a swap with Abstract ;)
Bear in mind there are rumours flying around that the D400 is imminent, so I'd hold fire on a D300 unless you get a great deal.

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
You should do a swap with Abstract ;)
Bear in mind there are rumours flying around that the D400 is imminent, so I'd hold fire on a D300 unless you get a great deal.

Yeah I have been keeping up with the rumors. Some say it is the rumor guys trying to get hits to their sites and some say it might happen. I will wait a few weeks until PMA. I don't see it happening though, but ya never know and I can save some money if it happens.

hector

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Cheltenham, UK

The D40 is limited compared to the D300 you say?
Nikon really need to buck their ideas up, this is simply unacceptable... :rolleyes:

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
The D40 is limited compared to the D300 you say?
Nikon really need to buck their ideas up, this is simply unacceptable... :rolleyes:

Well, as Mac users we're taught to expect something different. Look at the MacBook: bigger, heavier, and more functional than the MacBook Air, but less expensive! It's exactly the opposite with dSLRs! :p

nuwomb

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
might get this at some point. it would be nice with my d40x that I want to convert to infrared.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007

*CAMERAPOLICE*

The trick is to get an Nikon FM, every setting is right there, solid body, will last as long as you. Fantastic quality.

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Dammit Nikon. Why didn't you release that last summer? Then I wouldn't have bought the Sigma 30mm f1.4 :( Sigh oh well. I'll be getting a D90 soon anyways :) Can't stand my D40 soon.

dL

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The D90 isn't a lot better menu wise from the other consumer level Nikons. While it is a little better, you still don't have close to the buttons the Pro level D300 and up have which allows them to change on the fly. This is a big thing I hate about my D90. You still have to go into the menu to change a lot of things and it is a pain to do so when you are out in the field.

Which settings? :confused:

The advantage of the D300 over the D80/D90 are the "dedicated" buttons on the body to change settings rather than having 2 buttons perform the same task (e.g. ISO and zoom-out on the D90). You can perform the same (or similar) changes on the D90's body as you can on a D300. However, from a design standpoint, the D300's controls are a definite advantage because it simplifies things.

The one thing I wish is that the ISO button on my D300 was moved to the left of the LCD, or that a duplicate button was placed there. When you're ready to shoot, and are holding the camera properly, it's easier to press the ISO button on top without moving your left hand a lot and taking your eyes off the viewfinder or letting go of your lens with your left hand. On a D70/D70s/D50/D80/D40/D60/D90, you just pull your hand back and hit it with your thumb. On a D300/D700/D3/D3x, you pull your hand back and rotate it a bit to press the ISO button with your index finger.

Otherwise, the D300's controls are better, although I don't know if the number of settings that can be changed on a D300 is all that different than on a D90.

inhand02.jpg

inhand2.jpg

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Which settings? :confused:

The advantage of the D300 over the D80/D90 are the dedicated buttons on the body to change settings rather than having 2 buttons perform the same task (e.g. ISO). Most of the settings you can change on the body of a D300 can be changed on a D90 just as easily. However, from a design standpoint, the D300's controls are a definite advantage.

The one thing I wish is that the ISO button on my D300 was moved to the left of the LCD, or that a duplicate button was placed there. When you're ready to shoot, and are holding the camera properly, it's easier to press the ISO button on top without moving your left hand a lot and taking your eyes off the viewfinder or letting go of your lens with your left hand. On a D70/D70s/D50/D80/D40/D60/D90, you just pull your hand back and hit it with your thumb. On a D300/D700/D3/D3x, you pull your hand back and rotate it a bit to press the ISO button with your index finger.

Otherwise, the D300's controls are better, although I don't know if the number of settings that can be changed on a D300 is all that different than on a D90.

inhand02.jpg

inhand2.jpg

It is worth it to me. Someone posted this on dpreview and I will post it here.

Quote from Digital Review, D90 and D300 comparison:

-The Nikon D90 offers 12-bit image processing compared to the Nikon D300 were 12-bit or 14-bit can be selected; internal full 16-bit.

-Nikon D90 Body is made of polycarbonate versus the Nikon D300 which is made of rugged magnesium alloy and features enhanced weather seal protection.

-The D300 provides faster start up (0.13 sec) and minimal shutter lag (45ms) compared to the D90 (0.15 sec start up and 65ms shutter lag).

-The D300 offers phase-difference detection Auto Focus in "Tripod shooting mode" (not available on D90).

-The D90 incorporates a 420-pixel RGB sensor for metering compared to the Nikon D300 with a higher end 1,005-pixel RGB sensor. Leveraging the data provided by the1,005-pixel RGB Matrix Meter, the Scene Recognition System in the Nikon D300 provides more precise subject identification, optimizing autofocus, exposure and white balance detection.

-D300 offers both a CPU and AI exposure meter coupling to support metering with older type Nikkor lenses.

-The Nikon D90 features 11 focus points versus the Nikon D300 with a broader AF coverage with 51 focus points.

-The Nikon D300 uses a faster AF module (CAM 3500DX) and offers 15 cross type sensors, Fine AF adjustment is possible on the D300 to match the lens in use.

-Viewfinder frame coverage of approx.96% with the D90 compared to 100% coverage with the Nikon D300.

-The D90 offers Continuous shooting at approx. 4.5 fps versus approx. 6 fps with the D300. The D300 can shoot at up to 8fps with the optional MB-D10 vertical battery grip accessory.

-The D300 offers a greater degree of customization total of 48 custom settings.

That being said I like the additional options/benefits/settings or whatever you want to call it of the D300. It is my choice and I have made it. It does have more settings as I said. Now we can argue what the definition of setting is, but in my opinion the D300 is worth the additional money.

To those that keep repeating it is the same sensor. It isn't the same. Like someone said in another thread, it is "urban myth."

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I know, it's getting intolerable. I stopped reading the Nikon/Canon lens discussion thread. Too many people have issues with the concept of "opinion", and enjoy passing their opinion off as fact. Stop comparing your e-penises, people.

Anyway, we're talking about a lens here, not the D300 vs. D90, as much fun as that is.

The 35mm is apparently now available for pre-order; I'd be interested to know if anyone here has placed an order and when you expect to get it.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Anyone else starting to just laugh when reading these threads? I just can't participate any longer.

Yes, I can't believe some of the retards here actually trying to justify that a D40 is limited in TAKING PICTURES.... but whatever, that's why you go from the D40 to the D700 and continue taking crap images.

Seriously, this 35mm has already been ordered by yours truly, been looking for an AF-S DX version of the 50 for a good while, and it's finally here. I plan on using my D2xs and D2 series bodies for a while yet, until the D4 and D800, and even after that the partner in crime will still be making magic with her D90 and D90 replacement.

Personally, I am looking for a used D40 now that I can strap a cheap standard AF-S on the front of it that's below 50mm and is small as hell. I know this thing will get used more often that not.

And as a side note, if you aren't getting good image quality with any D2 series Nikon bodies (including the D40) with JPEG settings, ISO800 and below YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. Check your exposure and your skill and stop blaming the camera.

You are supposed to be a SHOOTER, stop using the technology as a crutch.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
And as a side note, if you aren't getting good image quality with any D2 series Nikon bodies (including the D40) with JPEG settings, ISO800 and below YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG. Check your exposure and your skill and stop blaming the camera.

You are supposed to be a SHOOTER, stop using the technology as a crutch.

You've made me cry now. I'm tearing (as in, droplets of tear) on my keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.