Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
I get the point it's at the same price without the cable as the previous psu with the fused cable, but this one has a major advantage over the previous PSU.

You can't have it both ways, they either ship it without for x bucks or you ship it with for x+y bucks. You seem to want x+y for x bucks and Apple aren't in the business of selling you something at the price you want, never have been, never will be.

What I can tell you is that they'll be selling a lot less of the PSU's for this version of the macbook than they ever have for the previous versions because it's as two parts and most sales for previous chargers will have been for failed cables, maybe this is a factor in the pricing of the new charger.

No its not x price
X price was previous brick with a fused cable
So the new brick without a cable should have been either sold at X-Y price (y being price of cable) or include the cable in the box

I again am super glad the cable is detachable from brick, but that does not mean should pull such a stunt off

sn00p

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
No its not x price
X price was previous brick with a fused cable
So the new brick without a cable should have been either sold at X-Y price (y being price of cable) or include the cable in the box

I again am super glad the cable is detachable from brick, but that does not mean should pull such a stunt off

And the new macbook pro costs more than the old macbook pro, you can't really compare the cost of one thing to another.

Like I said, they'll be selling way less of the chargers this time around that they have for previous generations, this may or may not have a factor in the pricing for all we know.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
What if your charger isnt replacement, what if you want to keep 2 separate charger. The move to make the brick and cable detachable is great, so if your cable breaks (the usual case ) you dont need a new brick and just buy a cable to replace it. But charging 79$ for the charger and then not including a cable is the most dick move you can do. Its not like the charger is cheap so yah it dosnt make sense to add in the cable, its already 79$.

And why add 20-30$ when if you bought the cable separately it would cost 19$.
Having both charger and cable for 79$ is perfectly reasonable demand

But what if you don't? I can see the old charger is at $79, so maybe the new charger actually costs more to make, so if they was to include the cable, it would be $99 or whatever?

This way, those who don't need to keep to separate chargers, save $20.

Now if you are arguing that these chargers cost too much, I am not here to debate that point.

monkeydax

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
I would imagine there will be soon. Up until now (or rather in the nearby future) there wasn't any need for them.
Yeah that's true! Will probably take some time. But interesting that MBP users can now consider generic replacements for their power adapters.

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
The Extension that came with older MBPs should still work with the new MBPs, right?

I got two full charging kits right now and I would like to Keep one set with my MBP 2013 while using the power Extension from second kit to plug it into the new 87 W charger. That should work, right?

grassright

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2014
What if some one wants two chargers for home and office use?
I did make a post about people useless complaining, but what you are doing here, is aimlessly trying to defend something that is wrong.

then just buy another $19 cable along with the charger, which is still cheaper than $99.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The Extension that came with older MBPs should still work with the new MBPs, right?

I got two full charging kits right now and I would like to Keep one set with my MBP 2013 while using the power Extension from second kit to plug it into the new 87 W charger. That should work, right?

Yes, the plug is the same. I'll be keeping mine.

Although, it will look weird having a dirty six-year-old cable plugged into a pristine adaptor.

GoodOne

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
Yes, the plug is the same. I'll be keeping mine.

Although, it will look weird having a dirty six-year-old cable plugged into a pristine adaptor.

I'll use it at home in my living room behind the desk so it won't matter.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Good lord the price gouging is out of control.

$80 for a power brick and they can't even toss in a cable!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.