Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Here are some pics of the new scion we just got for my wife.

Attachments

• IMG_1234.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1236.jpg
    IMG_1236.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 234

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
Good looking car. How do you both like it?

My question is, why is Toyota making the Scion under a completely different brand name? (I would imagine that it the same great Toyota quality).

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
both current models are actually based on cars already in japan and under the toyota brand, those being the xa which is known as the ist and the xb known as the bb. the reason toyota has repackaged these cars under the new scion name is that toyota is trying to target a younger audience and figures show that they have not been successful even with the matrix at getting that audience to drive toyotas.

medea

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
sorry

To answer your first question, we both love the car. It gets great gas mileage, is fun to drive, is comfortable and was a great deal considering it comes standard with air conditioning, power everything, cd player, anti-lock brakes etc.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
So toyota makes those. My mom works for them, I'm surprised she hadn't said something to me. I like the b version.

The interior looks very similar to the matrix. If it's anything like the matrix, you'll love it in town, but any more than 8 hours on the highway is another story.

Congrats on a smart buy!!!

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I own the Xa as well. Being a VW driver all my life, I was a little turned off by the Xa's lack of power, but overall it's a great car (especially for the price!).

- narco

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
narco said:
I own the Xa as well. Being a VW driver all my life, I was a little turned off by the Xa's lack of power, but overall it's a great car (especially for the price!).

I noticed the lower power ratings when looking at them on toyota's website a few weeks ago. I'm kinda interested in the coupe that hasn't been released yet. The lease on my Matrix XRS ends next May, so I may have an option or two from which to choose. ;)

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
i like the looks of the xb, but the lack of power has me turned off as well.
i have to buy a car in the summer and right now i am considering a honda element, scion xb, mazda 3...and some other.
right now i am leaning towards the element.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.