Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I went out to the grocery store and bought some fruit and sprite bottle, and setup my lights and fired away :) Here are the results, comments welcomed!

Matthew

474142196_b115f33de8_b.jpg

474179033_48d5da44c3_b.jpg

474017013_2fe79391f4_b.jpg

474022874_130891a396_b.jpg

473960413_2f1335b351_b.jpg

Slideshow all of my photos can be seen HERE

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I went out to the grocery store and bought some fruit and sprite bottle, and setup my lights and fired away :) Here are the results, comments welcomed!

Matthew

~images~~

Slideshow all of my photos can be seen HERE

Hey, you're Matthew Clark Photography? I'm a big fan! Love the second shot.

What kind of lights do you use? If you'd be as kind as to show us a lighting diagram, I'd be ever so grateful.

Best,
wmmk

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
Man, i Love your pics, i look at them every day on flickr.. the sprite bottle is almost reminds me of one of the default backgrounds for the macs

Great pictures

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
awesome pictures.

i'd love to crop and resize the sprite bottle for a background image. keep up the good work.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Just a couple of comments- The Sprite bottle is good, but the OOF area and the line of drops at the top bother me a bit. The line naturally leads the eye right over to the OOF area where there's nothing to resolve. If you crop the image about square, then you have the large drops near the center, and a diagonal line of them moving off to the upper right, where it dwindles, but isn't out of focus- I like that composition more, though if the DoF was deeper, the original composition might work a little better.

With the groups strawberries, I think having something nearer the foreground OOF would help give the eye a bit more interest, and the images a bit more depth. Most Western folks read left-to-right, and in this case, the focal point of the image is over on the right at the "end" and if we try to go back to the beginning, we're left with something that doesn't resolve. It may simply be that flipping the image "fixes" the composition though.

The lighting is great, and overall the images are nice, those are just the things I'd do to improve them.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
wow they're very nice. I thought you wrote sprite bottle and meant spray bottle, but then i got it. ;)
I love them all, but wish the first one was in focus all the way across so I could use it as a wp.

noaccess

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
Absolutely gorgeous :). And that goes for all the other pics I've seen on Flickr.
Keep up the good work!

I'll try to adjust the first image (of the Sprite bottle) and set it as a desktop background, if you don't mind, that is. :)

ribbonthecat

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Chicago, IL
Very nice shots, especially the second one.

I was shooting earlier today, and I realized that I would really like a macro lens. Does anybody have any suggestions? I shoot with a Nikon D70.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Very nice shots, especially the second one.

I was shooting earlier today, and I realized that I would really like a macro lens. Does anybody have any suggestions? I shoot with a Nikon D70.

Tamron 90mm SP or whatever they're calling it these days, the old one is awesome, the new one is supposed to be even better.

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I want to say THANK YOU for all the wonderful comments and suggestions, I am still learning everyday! All I can tell myself is to keep shooting!

but here are some new studio shots from Friday:

474789727_3f035987bc_b.jpg

474854982_35728d6d23_b.jpg

I plan to take more this week, any ideas of what I should take photos of? Suggest!!

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I'm curious. Is there an intent behind them? They're properly exposed strawberries, but is there anything more to the shots? My questions come from seeing a lot of photos all of the time, but without something that lets me know a photo is definitely a "insert your name here" photo, it begins to run together as simply stock imagery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.