Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
I'd stay away from the D80. It remains one of Nikon's worst DSLRs, partly because the metering system is flawed. It is biased toward the active autofocus sensor, which I think is unique among all Nikon DSLRs. They rightly junked that for the D90. The D70s is a hidden gem, well built and possessing the full 1005 pixel color meter found in the F5/6 and all their pro DSLRs.

He's the Glenn Beck of interweb photography advice.

Terrific analogy and probably the best one I've read. Also a great summation of Mr. Rockwell.
agreed in all aspects. I just bought my sister in law a used D70s with a brand new 18-55 VR kit lens and WOW... the pictures that come out of that camera are REALLY good.. better than the Olympus E510 that I started with...It's "only" 6 mpixels but those 6 mpixels REALLY deliver...

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I'm not surprised. The D70 and its minor revision, the D70s, really opened things up for a lot of people.

Speaking of the D70s, I just found a hilarious photo of one:

4196322381_8fa832fe5a_o.jpg

Also:

http://flickriver.com/search/D70s/interesting/

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I was in a similar situation to you a few years ago and I can tell you my experience if it helps.

I initially wanted to "get my feet wet" and really learn how to become a photographer. Almost any DSLR will allow you to do this. Understanding the interplay between ISO, aperture, shutter speed and how to use white balance, frame rates, etc etc to make a beautiful picture is something that DSLRs offer which *most* point and shoots don't, which really is the difference. Now, if you want to be technical, yes, the newer models will do many of these things better (better high ISO, faster frame rate, maybe allow 1/8000 instead of 1/4000 sec shutter speed) but these are really just technical details at the beginning. I truly appreciate now that a great picture can be taken with a point and shoot by a good photographer while a bad photographer can't make a good picture with the best DSLR now matter how hard they try. It's ALL about understanding you camera, lens, and light.

So, I bought an XSi to learn all this and now it is a little old for me and I want to upgrade to either a 5d Mark II or 7D. However, now I really do understand what aspects those cameras offer which my XSi doesn't, which, to be perfectly honest, most people do not when they buy a DSLR. There's really nothing sadder than using a DSLR in P or Green circle mode all the time sorry to say.

My advice: buy an XSi or similar, it really is a LOT of camera for the money, and if you get hooked, you can always upgrade.

One note: if you want video (which you may not think you do now, but really may when you're on vacation), get a TL series camera.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hi everyone, i thought i would ask for some advice.

I'm starting to get really interested in photography as a hobby. Currently i have a really nice point-and-shoot (Canon PowerShot SX210 IS) but am really thinking about stepping up to a DSLR. I've picked up a couple old film SLR's and they have really captivated me. One is a Yashica TL-Electro with three lenses (28mm, 50mm, 128mm) and the other is a Canon EOS Rebel (the original film one) with the kit 35-80mm lens.

OK, enough background. Like i said, i would like to step up to digital for the instant gratification of knowing whether or not what you're trying is actually improving your shots and also, the time and cost of film processing is driving me nuts. I am kind of partial to Canon cameras since i already have the one Rebel and the 35-80mm lens, and my aunt has several pieces of Canon equipment that i could borrow. However, I am not entirely locked into the brand, since i have a whopping $35 tied up in Canon SLR equipment.

I don't want to spend a whole lot of money, basically as little as possible to get a decent camera. If buying new, I have been looking at the Canon EOS Rebel XS at around $500-$550 for the kit. I have also been checking eBay, Craigslist, and the B&H Used Store for this and other models. Currently, there is a Rebel XTS (350D) in the B&H store for $239 and a Rebel XS (1000D) for $400 (kit lens on each).

Basically, for me, a very amateur photographer not looking to spend a lot of cash, would the older DSLR's be good enough for half the price, or should i just pony up and drop the money on a decent newer model?

One more quick question, Would the 18-55 IS lens be worth the $100 extra or would i be ok just using the 35-80mm lens that i already have?

Thanks for any advice.

You're shooting film now, so going with an older camera body really isn't going to change your exposure equation much if you're shooting color. Frankly, unless you're shooting in crappy lighting where you're not allowed to change it shooting above ISO 400 is something you can completely avoid for years (I only just started going above 640 this month.)

If you get an older DLSR, you'll be paying much less- and frankly until you've owned one long enough to figure out what you want feature-wise, it's the best deal you can make because it's not likely to drop in price by more than 30% in the next year or two.

You should also use the lens you have until you have a need to upgrade. One of the older bodies will not show as much degradation as a newer body, and you'll be dealing with a crop factor body for the first time, so you'll want to figure out what focal lengths you like as well as if you're going to want to jump to a larger sensor in the future.

Personally, I'd advise you to go Canon since you can potentially borrow things there. The Yashica mount is dead as far as non-adapters go, and you can get an EOS adapter to use on a Digital Rebel body.

Don't worry about the menu system, it's more than likely you won't be changing settings that often anyway, and the ones you do will help you to figure out what you want in the way of dedicated buttons on your next camera.

Paul

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I can't imagine not going above 400, or just hitting 640. I'm regularly shooting at 6400-10,000, sometimes more. ISO 200/400 isn't a place I visit often.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Thanks to all

Thanks to everyone who replied. The advice and personal experiences really have helped.

I think I would probably go with a Rebel XS (1000D) from the Canon Refurb store to try to balance the quality/price scale. Now the only issue is convincing the boss (aka my wife). In the mean time, B & H has a used Rebel XTS (350D) for cheap. I could probably get that to use with my current lens and once I have used it enough to convince her that I'm serious about photography, I could upgrade to newer and greener pastures.

It's not an issue of affording the nicer, newer ones, but convincing her that it's worth it.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
If i were you (and if you are intent of buying an older Rebel body), is to buy an older 20/30D. 20Ds run about $200-250, 30Ds about $50 more. They will be a better choice I think. They are easier to navigate the menus as well as change settings due to the control dial and other dedicated buttons. Plus the dedicated LCD is much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.