Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrostyF

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2018
Western Canada
A 14nm hot Vega 20 inside a 15” MBP with a 14nm Intel i7 or i9 is. A recipe for disaster. Two 14nm chips.
A well configured 15” MBP with Vega 20 will cost $3,000 roughly.

I’d rather spend $1,500 on a 13” MBP and $1,500 building a Gaming PC.
Or $2,000 on a new 13” MBP with 8th Gen Intel and $1,000 on an iPad Pro.

But dumping $3,000 into a 15” MBP with Vega 20 is a big fail.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
8BE83883-6182-42CF-8D20-EDE22F31A0F2.jpeg
I get the OP's frustration. I am in the same boat. I would have purchased the upgrade or waited until it was available if I had known it was coming. I get that tech is always on the move, but just two months after I bought my MBP maxed out seems like a bit of an insult. They must have know it was coming, I doubt they just woke up one morning two months after the refresh and said ok time for a bump. Those who would like to have waited and bought the Vega upgrade, which would be relatively few could have waited and the vast majority would be able to buy the refreshed version. Now I either have to buy the eGPU or lose lots of money trading this one in or just watch as those who were lucky enough not to have jumped in at the refresh enjoy the computer I would like to have had. I knew there would be a bump but historically, I think they are much further apart and I chose not to wait for what would have been the normal refresh period based on past practice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.