Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
First off let me say I know hardly anything about cameras, but I would really like to get into it. I take lots of pictures with my point n'shoot and I am getting pretty sick of that thing... I want more control than what my existing camera (Kodak easyshare) offers. I am even more lost when it comes to lenses. I have no idea what I am looking at when it comes to glass.

Looking at Canon and Nikon... Not sure if it is a good idea to get the kit or buy the body seperate and buy a different lens.

I will say that I am a college student and am on a limited budget. So I would like to have 1 lens that I could use for everything for the time being. (I am having to sell some of my older toys on ebay to be able to afford this camera).

D40 is out because I would like to be able to work with more MP than that. (A lot of the time I find my self cropping and image way down and I want the quality to still be there.)

XTi seems pretty nice. A lot of people seem to like it.

D60? Don't know much about it??

I guess my budget is around $600, although I wouldn't mind going cheaper.

Dell had a XTi Kit for under $500 a few weeks ago that I missed. If that comes around again is that something I want to buy?

Any help is appreciated!

tony-in-japan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Saitama, Japan
Just posted this on another thread, but here is a good recommendation...

To offer you options other than the typical Canon or Nikon, there will be an new Olympus E-420 released in May. It is the smallest DSLR in the world (and very light too) with 10MP, Live View and Dust Reduction. Also, it fits in nicely within your budget. I think it is the best value DSLR available with the lens kit (apparently the kit lens is excellent).

Just ordered mine and am looking forward to using it. (Was a previous Canon Rebel XT user, but have just auctioned it.)

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Nikon D60 looks nice, but it does not have a built-in focus drive motor. But it looks like it has a nice lens

Canon XTi looks nice, but it is supposed to have a crappy lens..

I am so confused and have no idea what I am talking about!!!!!!!!!

tony-in-japan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Saitama, Japan
Small isn't generally the thing people look for when buying a DSLR

Maybe I’m in the minority, but the number of times I have got pictures back from my Point-and-Shoot and was disappointed with the image quality MULTIPLIED by the number of times I avoided taking my DSLR out because of the size and weight is evidence for my personal need for a compact DSLR.

I don’t know... maybe that ‘small pocket-rocket’ thought-construct is subconsciously linked to my inner desire for a 12" Macbook Pro!? Should I seek a therapist or have hope for next tuesday?

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Maybe I’m in the minority, but the number of times I have got pictures back from my Point-and-Shoot and was disappointed with the image quality MULTIPLIED by the number of times I avoided taking my DSLR out because of the size and weight is evidence for my personal need for a compact DSLR.

I don’t know... maybe that ‘small pocket-rocket’ thought-construct is subconsciously linked to my inner desire for a 12" Macbook Pro!? Should I seek a therapist or have hope for next tuesday?

You may want to start a new thread because I can see this going off on a BIG tangent.

I definitely want a normal size DSLR. And I definitely want it to be a Canon or Nikon.

You are referring to the kit lens yes? You can find the XTi without a lens, just the body only and purchase the lens of your choice for your first lens.

Ya, the kit lens. I know there are plenty of nice lenses out there for the camera.

Is it true that the D60 has a good kit lens?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Is it true that the D60 has a good kit lens?

Can't speak for the Nikon, but I agree, I don't like the kit lens that comes with the canon. I ended up getting two 30D (body only), one for me and one for the wife. The lenses I ended up getting for them right away was the EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens. They can be had for under a $100 bucks. Great little lens.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I definitely want a normal size DSLR. And I definitely want it to be a Canon or Nikon.

Care to explain why that's the case? Not that there's anything wrong with it (and of course I'm not demanding that your justify your decision with me) it's just that by dismissing Sony, Olympus, and Pentax, you're missing out on a lot of unique features and very high quality cameras. Those aren't the only two worth looking into you know!

You could have a weather sealed DSLR for less than the D60 is going to cost you, or you could have a tiny tiny Olympus that you could fit in your jacket pocket. You could have what's arguably the best implementation of live-view in a DSLR so far, as well as an articulating LCD screen.

Just think about it, (this is a Mac forum, we're known for being different).

SLC

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Then maybe the new Olympus with the 25mm pancake lens is for you. You get a dSLR sensor in a "smallish" body and small lens.

Sure, you lose zoom, but you could always use your foot zoom.

ft

tony-in-japan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Saitama, Japan
Then maybe the new Olympus with the 25mm pancake lens is for you. You get a dSLR sensor in a "smallish" body and small lens.

Sure, you lose zoom, but you could always use your foot zoom.

ft

Thanks for the recommendation (it has already been ordered a few days ago!!) :).

Apologies to the Original Poster for diverting this thread... :eek:

Okay, so you are sticking with Canon or Nikon. The lens kit I got with my original Rebel XT was, in my opinion, very average in quality. I am not sure if this is the same kit lens supplied with the XTi (most probably).

My advice is that you should focus more attention on the lenses rather than the body. The Canon and Nikon bodies of the same range are pretty much similar in standard, but the quality of your images would drastically improve depending on the quality of lenses you get. It depends on what kind of shooting you would be doing (close-up? portrait? Landscape? Street photography? etc). Do you need a regular zoom? Would a prime lens (no zoom) work for you as this kind of lens would generally produce higher quality images.

If you want to keep to a budget then go for a kit lens. If you are seeking higher quality, then go for just a body and do your research on lenses to find one very good lens suitable for your type of photography.

I hope that helps!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Okay, so you are sticking with Canon or Nikon. The lens kit I got with my original Rebel XT was, in my opinion, very average in quality. I am not sure if this is the same kit lens supplied with the XTi (most probably).

You're correct about the XTi's kit lens. It's the same one that comes with the XT. However, with Canon, you can buy the Rebels as body-only and pair it with whatever lens you want.

I went that route and got the XTi with the 18-55 IS lens (the same one that comes with the XSi kit).

ft

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
D40 is out because I would like to be able to work with more MP than that. (A lot of the time I find my self cropping and image way down and I want the quality to still be there.)

Learn to shoot it well-framed initially and you won't have that problem. While there are going to be times that you need to crop, if you have to consistently, then either (a) you're too far away, (b) you need a longer lens, or (c) you're not spending enough time doing composition.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Learn to shoot it well-framed initially and you won't have that problem. While there are going to be times that you need to crop, if you have to consistently, then either (a) you're too far away, (b) you need a longer lens, or (c) you're not spending enough time doing composition.

After some looking at prices, I may consider the D40 after all.

Looks like I can get one with a Kit Lens for sub $400.

What do you guys think of this camera and the lens it comes with in the kit?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
After some looking at prices, I may consider the D40 after all.

Looks like I can get one with a Kit Lens for sub $400.

What do you guys think of this camera and the lens it comes with in the kit?

Before you give any info to the vendor selling the D40 kit for less than $400, you might want to research them.

I have a feeling that they're not legit.

Legit places sell the D40 kit (new) for about $450 to $500. Refurbs for less.

I've never seen a legit, new D40 kit for less than $400.

Just be careful.

ft

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Before you give any info to the vendor selling the D40 kit for less than $400, you might want to research them.

I have a feeling that they're not legit.

Legit places sell the D40 kit (new) for about $450 to $500. Refurbs for less.

I've never seen a legit, new D40 kit for less than $400.

Just be careful.

ft

Thanks for the heads up, but I am talking about Amazon.. I know what you mean about those sketchy camera sites. I won't go anywhere near them!

The D40 kit is $474
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1209055412&sr=1-1

Then I can pick up this lens for $215
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000O161X0/ref=nosim/slickdeals

Total is 689. Then there is a $100 instant rebate that brings the total to 589.

Then I can sell that lens for $200 on ebay. This brings the total for the kit to 389.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
How is the kit lens on the D40?

Is it crap? It doesn't have image stabilization does it?

I'm a Canon guy, so I can't answer. But when I was choosing between Nikon and Canon, many of the reviews I read say that the 18-55 kit lens is very good. It doesn't have VR, but if you have steady hands, it's not really needed (at least at the 18 end).

Check out KenRockwell's site. He's a nikon guy and has a review of all sorts of Nikon lenses.

Also, there's a reivew of the 18-55 VR lens at dpreview.com

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
How is the kit lens on the D40?

Is it crap? It doesn't have image stabilization does it?

I've got two friends with D40s with kit lenses, and I've never seen anything particularly bad with the lens that was due to the lens and not the photographer, but I haven't evaluated it as I would one for work I was selling.

IMO, VR is overrated for most shooting situations. About the only times I think it's a deal-maker are birds in flight and shooting from a moving platform, outside of that there may be event-related cases where it's very useful. I own one lens with VR (80-400,) and it's pretty-much out on permanent loan. I don't even get it to shoot BIF shots, as I'd rather shoot with my 400 prime.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
So do you guys think that the D40 is a good camera kit for $389 for a SLR newbie?

Or should I pony up the extra cash and buy the xti which is $589? ($200 more)

D40 is looking better and better to me for that price tag. Hell some point and shoots cost more that that D40 kit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.