Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Hi,

I’m not Steven Spielberg but have done the odd projects in iMovie etc and would like to eventually progress to FCP. However I’d like to ask a few questions regarding the capability of the new Apple Silicon Macs.

1. Firstly, Apple claims on its site that these new chips can stream multiple streams of 8K, I think the Ultra can do 22 streams Pro res, I believe the Max is half that so around 10-11 streams. But what does this mean exactly? Does it just mean it could play 22 separate 8K videos all at once? If so why is that worth advertising? Who’s going to be able to watch 22 videos all at once? Or is it just to advertise the bandwidth/power it can produce?

2. Secondly, on a timeline I’ve seen people put (layer?) videos on top or underneath each other, a bit like when you put an audio track underneath it. Why would you do that? As you can only watch one video at a time right?

Sorry if they are strange or weird questions, just trying to understand.

Thanks

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Quote:
"But what does this mean exactly? Does it just mean it could play 22 separate 8K videos all at once?

...on a timeline I’ve seen people put (layer?) videos on top or underneath each other, a bit like when you put an audio track underneath it. Why would you do that?"

In simple editing if you cross dissolve (mix) between shots, that is "playing 2 streams at once.'

If you use green-screen to film a person, then edit the green out and 'composite' (replace) a different background behind them, that is "playing 2 streams at once.'

If you dissolve between 2 green-screen + background composite shots, that is playing 4 streams at once - whilst the dissolve is happening.

If you make a movie that simulates a Zoom conference call, where multiple people are joining in, say 12 people - all on screen in a group composite shot, then that's using 12 streams at once.

If all 12 people are shot green-screen, and have video backgrounds behind them, than that is using 24 streams of video to produce that shot.

On the timeline you are probably using up to 24 video tracks to lay out all the different mini-images that make up the whole picture.

Normally only the top layer on the timeline is output to the final video, but complex editing software like Final Cut allows you to make any layer (or part of it) 'transparent' (called an alpha-channel) to allow lower tracks to be visible in just the right place.

If you have heard of 'B roll', that's where an interview is put on the lowest video track, and put the 'cut-aways' (shots of what is being talked about) on the next rack above.
That is the simplest use of the timeline tracks, but if you are editing professionally it soon get much more complicated really quickly. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: scouser75

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Quote:
"But what does this mean exactly? Does it just mean it could play 22 separate 8K videos all at once?

...on a timeline I’ve seen people put (layer?) videos on top or underneath each other, a bit like when you put an audio track underneath it. Why would you do that?"

In simple editing if you cross dissolve (mix) between shots, that is "playing 2 streams at once.'

If you use green-screen to film a person, then edit the green out and 'composite' (replace) a different background behind them, that is "playing 2 streams at once.'

If you dissolve between 2 green-screen + background composite shots, that is playing 4 streams at once - whilst the dissolve is happening.

If you make a movie that simulates a Zoom conference call, where multiple people are joining in, say 12 people - all on screen in a group composite shot, then that's using 12 streams at once.

If all 12 people are shot green-screen, and have video backgrounds behind them, than that is using 24 streams of video to produce that shot.

On the timeline you are probably using up to 24 video tracks to lay out all the different mini-images that make up the whole picture.

Normally only the top layer on the timeline is output to the final video, but complex editing software like Final Cut allows you to make any layer (or part of it) 'transparent' (called an alpha-channel) to allow lower tracks to be visible in just the right place.

If you have heard of 'B roll', that's where an interview is put on the lowest video track, and put the 'cut-aways' (shots of what is being talked about) on the next rack above.
That is the simplest use of the timeline tracks, but if you are editing professionally it soon get much more complicated really quickly. :)
That’s great. Thanks for that detailed response with examples. That makes a lot more sense now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.