Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Just wondering if I can set up my Macbook to use TouchID to open the Macbook regardless if it had been turned off or sleeping more than 48 hours. It's a little annoying to keep entering the password -- especially when my lowly Gateway laptop allows me to login in using my fingerprint.

Is there any setting that will allow me to do this?

TIA

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Just wondering if I can set up my Macbook to use TouchID to open the Macbook regardless if it had been turned off or sleeping more than 48 hours. It's a little annoying to keep entering the password -- especially when my lowly Gateway laptop allows me to login in using my fingerprint.

Is there any setting that will allow me to do this?

TIA
No. After a certain period of time, the Mac will ask for a password. It will not be fingerprint always, although it’s fingerprint most of the time. Once on startup and once every 48 hours, you’ll need to enter your password.

Reactions: brgjoe and NoBoMac

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
^This. And after about 6.5 days if a passcode has not been entered.

• The user hasn’t unlocked their device for more than 48 hours.
  • The user hasn’t used their passcode or password to unlock their device for 156 hours (six and a half days)

Reactions: brgjoe

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
In case you didn't know, if you have an Apple Watch you can set it up to unlock your Mac most of the time when waking the Mac from sleep. The proximity of your unlocked watch is then enough to unlock the Mac.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
In case you didn't know, if you have an Apple Watch you can set it up to unlock your Mac most of the time when waking the Mac from sleep. The proximity of your unlocked watch is then enough to unlock the Mac.
That also won't work after a reboot - but it is handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.