Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richgoga

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
How do you think the 1,1 will fare?

Just for you, I thought I'd have a look. See the attachment.

The answer to your question, for this specific benchmark that pushes cpu and gpu, is... Quite well actually. 1.3 fps difference to a 2010 Pro. I'll take that.

To preempt your next arguments, no I won't test a GTX680 even though I do have one and no I won't test any other benchmarks. It's pointless.

Do newer Mac Pro models outperform a 2006? Of course, in every case. Is it by a massive margin? Not always.

But, have a recap of your last few posts pastrychef... I thought you were talking about iMacs?

Like I tell my kids, it really is OK to be wrong sometimes.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Reactions: Ultracyclist

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
And where are the results for the other tests?

Btw, didn't you say your card is heavily overclocked? So you need a heavy overclock to perform 1.3fps worse...

Last edited:

richgoga

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
And where are the results for the other tests?

Btw, didn't you say your card is heavily overclocked? So you need a heavy overclock to perform 1.3fps worse...

Do you even read posts that don't pander to your opinions?

To preempt your next arguments, no I won't test a GTX680 even though I do have one and no I won't test any other benchmarks. It's pointless.

Do newer Mac Pro models outperform a 2006? Of course, in every case. Is it by a massive margin? Not always.

And yes, it's overclocked. Your point is? I could run the test again and come out 1.3fps higher. Do you understand what "margin of error" means?

Fact is, my FREE 2006 Mac Pro that I've put no more than £150 into performs as well as a 2010 Mac Pro for my needs.

Like I said, I'm sure a 5,1 will outrun a 1,1 every time. Big surprise. iMacs, or anything else Apple... Not so much.

It wont last forever, but it sure is lasting longer than your MacBook or Mac mini will. Is that the real issue here?

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
So if I upgrade my CPU to the 3GHz Quad Core, do I update the firmware before or after they are installed? After that, the ram is upgradeable to 64GB? So 8GB in each of the 8 slots then? Is it the same frequency ram as stock?

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Do you even read posts that don't pander to your opinions?

And yes, it's overclocked. Your point is? I could run the test again and come out 1.3fps higher. Do you understand what "margin of error" means?

Fact is, my FREE 2006 Mac Pro that I've put no more than £150 into performs as well as a 2010 Mac Pro for my needs.

Like I said, I'm sure a 5,1 will outrun a 1,1 every time. Big surprise. iMacs, or anything else Apple... Not so much.

It wont last forever, but it sure is lasting longer than your MacBook or Mac mini will. Is that the real issue here?

Of all the tests they did, you conveniently chose the one where there was little to no differentiation between any of the machines. Then, you did so with a heavily overclocked card. Convenient.

What's this about my MacBook and Mac mini?
[doublepost=1461194283][/doublepost]
So if I upgrade my CPU to the 3GHz Quad Core, do I update the firmware before or after they are installed? After that, the ram is upgradeable to 64GB? So 8GB in each of the 8 slots then? Is it the same frequency ram as stock?

Upgrade firmware before the CPU swap.

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
I was leaving the discussion with @pasterychef, because its pointless... (and of topic)

You'll do the firmware upgrade before (do it from a 10.7 partition this way you don't need to disable SIP) Yes 64BG is indeed 8gb per slot. IMHO I won't go beyond 32GB price wise its very expensive.

KEEP ROCKING THE 1,1!!!

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Don't let to get brainwashed by benchmarks unless it's all you do with your MP.
And it's OK to do what other people wouldn't do. Feel what you want, not what other people would want you to feel about your MP. It helps to stay sane.

richgoga

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
Of all the tests they did, you conveniently chose the one where there was little to no differentiation between any of the machines. Then, you did so with a heavily overclocked card. Convenient.

Right... Like I'm going to waste time (and money, in some cases) to keep proving you wrong.

The only thing those benchmarks show are that a 5,1>4,1>3,1 in every case. So yes, you can expect a 2,1 to underperform. Figuring that out is hardly rocket science (or, is it?).

Show me Valley benchmarks, Extreme preset, for non-Pro machines.... you know, like the iMacs you were talking about. Better yet, show me the solid 60fps, High settings Fallout 4 on a non-Pro.

The point you keep intentionally missing is that it's not just about performance (synthetic performance, in your arguments), it's about price vs performance. For only £150, my Pro smashes console performance and is still closer to the rest of Apple's offerings than a ten year old machine has any right to be.

I was leaving the discussion with @pasterychef, because its pointless... (and of topic)
KEEP ROCKING THE 1,1!!!

Well said!

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Right... Like I'm going to waste time (and money, in some cases) to keep proving you wrong.

The only thing those benchmarks show are that a 5,1>4,1>3,1 in every case. So yes, you can expect a 2,1 to underperform. Figuring that out is hardly rocket science (or, is it?).

Holy smokes! I think you've got it! That's been my point all along!!

Show me Valley benchmarks, Extreme preset, for non-Pro machines.... you know, like the iMacs you were talking about. Better yet, show me the solid 60fps, High settings Fallout 4 on a non-Pro.

Unfortunately, most of the benchmarks for the current iMac were done in 5K. However, here are a few that compare it to a Radeon HD 7950 in a 5,1:

Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 5.15.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 5.15.22 AM.png

Source: http://barefeats.com/imac5k20.html

Telling me your frame rates in Fallout 4 without giving any settings is useless. For all I know, you have all eye candy turned off.

The point you keep intentionally missing is that it's not just about performance (synthetic performance, in your arguments), it's about price vs performance. For only £150, my Pro smashes console performance and is still closer to the rest of Apple's offerings than a ten year old machine has any right to be.

Well said!

If you scroll up, you'll see that I said the 3,1s are a much better value.

fhenry

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
the 1,1 is almost free and still perform well. Very cheap cpu/ram upgrade other upgrades could be use in a another computer in the future. The 3,1 has a lot of problems with the power management and see bad performance with gpu and a bug with 64 bg of ram...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/post-your-gpu-bench-mac-pro-2006-2007.1685478/

Look at my topic with real gpu bench for open cl and unigine.

For sure some game will be cpu limited but for open cl/ cuda we barely can't see any difference in rendering ...

Last edited:

richgoga

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2013
Holy smokes! I think you've got it! That's been my point all along!!

Really?! Are you sure?!

The only brand new Mac that you can get with 5400 RPM hard drive is the iMac. I have a hard time believing a 1,1 will feel quicker than that.

Telling me your frame rates in Fallout 4 without giving any settings is useless. For all I know, you have all eye candy turned off.

Again, reading helps. I added bold for you:

Better yet, show me the solid 60fps, High settings Fallout 4

If you scroll up, you'll see that I said the 3,1s are a much better value.

Again, Are you sure?! Well known problems with a 3,1. I've seen fhenry's thread before. You've been a member of MR a lot longer than I have...

the 1,1 is almost free and still perform well. Very cheap cpu/ram upgrade other upgrades could be use in a another computer in the future. The 3,1 has a lot of problems with the power management and see bad performance with gpu and a bug with 64 bg of ram...

For sure some game will be cpu limited but for open cl/ cuda we barely can't see any difference in rendering ...

Other things I say to my kids is to know your facts and to say what you mean mean what you say.

You're not doing so well. Feel free to PM me if you need more help...

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/post-your-gpu-bench-mac-pro-2006-2007.1685478/

Please elaborate on power management and GPU. I've read about the issue with 64GB.

In that thread, all unigine tests were done in medium preset. The barefeats.com tests were done in extreme preset making for an impossible comparison.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
So if I upgrade my CPU to the 3GHz Quad Core, do I update the firmware before or after they are installed?
Before or after, it doesn't matter. In fact, the only issue you'll run into on the stock firmware is the CPUs will be identified as "3 GHz Unknown".
After that, the ram is upgradeable to 64GB? So 8GB in each of the 8 slots then? Is it the same frequency ram as stock?
Yes, see this thread: 64GB RAM in 2006 Mac Pro (2,1)

fhenry

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
Wow. That was an interesting read. Thanks for the link. Fortunately, at the end of the thread, the issue seemed to have been resolved with OS X 10.10.x.
Yes a very long story, there is also some issue with a 680 gtx in slot 1, there is a topic about in mr forum.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
I'm having a graphical issue with Chrome browser under 10.7.5. Certain websites are flashing repeatedly in odd spots. Sometimes it may be the scroll bar, banners, forum titles, etc. This doesn't occur anywhere else on the system or in Safari browser.

In contrast, my 2006 iMac is also running 10.7.5 and Chrome browser (presumably same version as it is discontinued) is fine on there.

Heard it may be due to graphic acceleration being enabled?

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Try taking a screenshot when these graphical glitches appear. If your screenshot does not show the same glitches, then it's probably the video card dying.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Hard to tell from screenshots,, since they flicker so rapidly. Some screenshots show the glitches, while others don't. Why would it only happen in Chrome and no where else on the system?

chipandegg

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
UK
I'm having a graphical issue with Chrome browser under 10.7.5. Certain websites are flashing repeatedly in odd spots. Sometimes it may be the scroll bar, banners, forum titles, etc. This doesn't occur anywhere else on the system or in Safari browser.

In contrast, my 2006 iMac is also running 10.7.5 and Chrome browser (presumably same version as it is discontinued) is fine on there.

Heard it may be due to graphic acceleration being enabled?
Just reading the thread, same Mac Pro here and 10.7.5 and the same issue with chrome (which I don't use a lot, more Firefox) makes it unusable really. Other than the the Mac Pro is running great though I am wondering what to get next.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 30, 2015
Broadcom BCM94360CD BCM4360CD 802.11ac mini PCI-E WiFi WLAN Bluetooth 4.0 Card

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.