Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xeller

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
I have the Kindle Fire HDX 7" and the big plus for me is the form factor/hardware. If the person is going to use it mainly for reading and wants a color screen go with the Kindle.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I have the Kindle Fire HDX 7" and the big plus for me is the form factor/hardware. If the person is going to use it mainly for reading and wants a color screen go with the Kindle.

This doesn't make much sense. The Nexus is narrower and lighter using the same resolution on identical size display. Both can access the Kindle Store. Only reading advantage I see for the Kindle is access to the Owner's Lending library. If comfort holding the device is your primary concern, wouldn't the Nexus actually make more sense?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
It is almost impossible to dismiss the issue regarding the screen display on the 7" HDX that is not an issue on the 8.9". Not sure how prevalent it is but buyer beware I suppose if it is aplenty.

It was so obvious on the display model at BB that one cannot miss it if their unit does have it.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
Both are great tablets for sure. My wife has the 7 HDX and two guys at work have The Nexus 7's so I have spent a decent amount of time with both.

The only advantage I feel the HDX has are the special offers. Those alone make the HDX worth owning: I bought Madden 25 for the PS3 for $5, a kindle Paperwhite for $20, and a Keurig coffee machine for $20. All in the first month of owning one. The HDX basically pays for itself and then some just because of the money you save on the sales because of owning one.

Overall I like the Nexus 7 better though. I find it to be much more comfortable to hold than the HDX. Although the HDX runs just as fast and smooth as the Nexus, I really don't like the OS on the HDX, while I absolutely love stock Android. Lastly, I hate that the Google Play Store is not on the Kindle tablets, I hate it.

----------

It is almost impossible to dismiss the issue regarding the screen display on the 7" HDX that is not an issue on the 8.9". Not sure how prevalent it is but buyer beware I suppose if it is aplenty.

It was so obvious on the display model at BB that one cannot miss it if their unit does have it.

Maybe we got lucky with our HDX 7, but we have to look really hard to see the blue/purple around the edge of the screen. It's there but it is so small and faint that with normal use we never notice it all. My wife and I are very picky about things like this but it has been totally a non issue for us.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Love my Nexus 7.

Just installed a custom kernel with double tap to wake feature.

Awesome.

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
Both are great tablets for sure. My wife has the 7 HDX and two guys at work have The Nexus 7's so I have spent a decent amount of time with both.

The only advantage I feel the HDX has are the special offers. Those alone make the HDX worth owning: I bought Madden 25 for the PS3 for $5, a kindle Paperwhite for $20, and a Keurig coffee machine for $20. All in the first month of owning one. The HDX basically pays for itself and then some just because of the money you save on the sales because of owning one.

Overall I like the Nexus 7 better though. I find it to be much more comfortable to hold than the HDX. Although the HDX runs just as fast and smooth as the Nexus, I really don't like the OS on the HDX, while I absolutely love stock Android. Lastly, I hate that the Google Play Store is not on the Kindle tablets, I hate it.

A Paperwhite for $20 and a Keurig for $20?? How is that possible?

And how smooth of a transition is it from iOS(7) devices to Android in your opinion?

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
A Paperwhite for $20 and a Keurig for $20?? How is that possible?

And how smooth of a transition is it from iOS(7) devices to Android in your opinion?

Trust me the deals are incredible, and are exclusive to Kindle tablet owners I believe. They have one or two of these deals per week and every deal is at least 80% off that I have seen. This deals aren't seen on the Amazon site either, only on the tablet (they show up on your lock screen and you can sign up for text and email alerts also).

My wife went from exclusively using ios for years to the HDX and she found it fairly easy to learn. First time I played with it I couldn't find anything on the tablet, but within 30 minutes of playing around with it I was pretty comfortable using it. I use more Android than ios myself, but the OS on the Kindle tablets looks nothing like any other Android device at all. If I didn't know any better I wouldn't even think it was Android at all because it is so different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.