Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeilders

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2013
I would like to use the NRC app on my runs. I tried to set it up on my Apple Watch 4 so I could leave my phone at home and just use the watch and my AirPods while I run. I can hear the NRC lady give me my 1/2 mile splits but I can’t get my music to play from the app. Am I missing a setting or is this not a feature of the app?

TIA

GoHerd15

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2018
this isnt going to answer your question, but its a bit mind boggling how limited that Nike Run app is. You cant see the splits from your phone if you use Nike Run unless you go into the Nike App. Thats crazy. You also do not have the ability to put the nike run complication on any of the new watch faces. Crazy. It wouldnt surprise me if the music istn working. It feels that little to no development is going into this app since its implementation.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I'm on an S2 and the Nike complication has always been usable on every watch face. I just made a Fire watch face and was able to put in the NRC complication. I don't have access that that cool new face for the S4's.

Reactions: japanime

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
Have had the Nike watch since the beginning and have never been able to play music from a playlist through the app, even though one is selected in the Nike app. I just play one of my synced playlists that are on my watch directly.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
The Nike app has never, ever worked properly on my Series 2 Nike-branded Apple Watch. Trying to use it only led to frustration. I still use one of the Nike faces on my watch, but I don't even bother with the app itself.

Reactions: Fozziebear71

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Another here where the Nike app barely works. They actually removed the feature for S0 users to be able to use their phone for GPS, so you could no longer use it for maps. Every update they take features away.

Nike S3 here. Music never worked for me. Now I use the default Workout app and sync using HeathFit to Strava.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Same here. The app is hit or miss most of the time in terms of working properly. I start a run on iPhone and it may or may not open on Apple Watch even though its already setup. Very inconsistent behavior and Nike support is not actually helpful even though they do respond. Just fix the app!

Magnificent

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2018
I had a workout with my watch series 4 but my workout does not seen on Nike run club app. How can I sync it to the app?

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I had a workout with my watch series 4 but my workout does not seen on Nike run club app. How can I sync it to the app?

You have to use the NRC app to record the workout, not the standard Apple Workout app. Unlike other apps, NRC does not support importing or exporting of app data. If it supported exporting to Strava, I'd use it immediately.

Magnificent

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2018
You have to use the NRC app to record the workout, not the standard Apple Workout app. Unlike other apps, NRC does not support importing or exporting of app data. If it supported exporting to Strava, I'd use it immediately.
I have done my work out only with my watch by using NRC app to record my workout but even I tried to sync it several times I could not manage.
And unfortunately, I can't find any support page or somewhere else to learn about it.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I think you're asking about getting your run-workout to show up on NRC, but using a different app to record the run ... correct?

If so, here's how you can do it, although it's a multipart process, that involves multiple apps and 3rd party accounts.

Let's say you want to use the Apple Workout app to record your run.

1. Start a run and record it using Apple Workout.
2. Upon completion, use RunGap or Healthfit to transfer the run data from the iPhone to GarminConnect.
2a. To do this using RunGap, you'll need to pay for a 3-month subscription (called SwagBag). It costs $2.
2b. To do this using HealthFit, you'll have to pay for the app (one time fee of $4 ... I think).
2c. You'll need to sign up for a free Garmin Connect account.
2d. From within the NikeRunClub app on the iPhone, you'l have to link your new GarminConnect account to NRC.
3. When you transfer your data from iPhone to GarminConnect, it'll automatically transfer it to NRC.

Or alternatively, you could just record your run using the NRC app, but I personally don't recommend it due to the many many many many bugs that litter the app. (note - I haven't used NRC in a long time, so they may have fixed the bugs ... but I doubt it)

Alternate #2 - I use iSmoothRun to record my runs. iSR can export directly to GarminConnect, so you can bypass the cost of RunGap or HealthFit. iSR does cost $4. I use RunGap and pay the $2 for a 3-month subscription if I need it, otherwise I let it lapse.
[doublepost=1547748210][/doublepost]
I have done my work out only with my watch by using NRC app to record my workout but even I tried to sync it several times I could not manage.
And unfortunately, I can't find any support page or somewhere else to learn about it.
Hmm. This is odd. If you used the NRC app on the AppleWatch, it should just show up in the NRC iPhone app. The AW and the iPhone apps are linked.

I would try restarting both the AW and the iPhone first.

If that doesn't work, I would log out and log back in on NRC-iPhone.

Lastly, I'd delete NRC on the iPhone and reinstall it. Then log back in.

If you're looking for Nike Support, use Facebook. They pretty much ignore anything that's not on the FB page.

Magnificent

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2018
I think you're asking about getting your run-workout to show up on NRC, but using a different app to record the run ... correct?

If so, here's how you can do it, although it's a multipart process, that involves multiple apps and 3rd party accounts.

Let's say you want to use the Apple Workout app to record your run.

1. Start a run and record it using Apple Workout.
2. Upon completion, use RunGap or Healthfit to transfer the run data from the iPhone to GarminConnect.
2a. To do this using RunGap, you'll need to pay for a 3-month subscription (called SwagBag). It costs $2.
2b. To do this using HealthFit, you'll have to pay for the app (one time fee of $4 ... I think).
2c. You'll need to sign up for a free Garmin Connect account.
2d. From within the NikeRunClub app on the iPhone, you'l have to link your new GarminConnect account to NRC.
3. When you transfer your data from iPhone to GarminConnect, it'll automatically transfer it to NRC.

Or alternatively, you could just record your run using the NRC app, but I personally don't recommend it due to the many many many many bugs that litter the app. (note - I haven't used NRC in a long time, so they may have fixed the bugs ... but I doubt it)

Alternate #2 - I use iSmoothRun to record my runs. iSR can export directly to GarminConnect, so you can bypass the cost of RunGap or HealthFit. iSR does cost $4. I use RunGap and pay the $2 for a 3-month subscription if I need it, otherwise I let it lapse.
First of all thank you very much for the detail information.
Actually what I want to do is very simple. I just run with my watch by using NRC app on the watch when I finished I just want to check it out on NRC app on the phone but it doesn't sync the data to the NRC app.
I have done it before but today it doesn't work anymore.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
First of all thank you very much for the detail information.
Actually what I want to do is very simple. I just run with my watch by using NRC app on the watch when I finished I just check it out on NRC app on the phone but it doesn't sync the data to the NRC app.
I have done it before but today it doesn't work anymore.
It could be that Nike's servers are down, or slow. I recall that happening a lot and I'd have to keep refreshing the list on NRC.

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA

I found that if I went into that session and answered how I felt and such in the Nike app on the phone, it seemed to sync. Also are you cellular or wifi? The Bluetooth only update is like molasses.

Magnificent

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2018
It could be that Nike's servers are down, or slow. I recall that happening a lot and I'd have to keep refreshing the list on NRC.
Yes, I think this problem is because of Nike's itself. today I tried another two apps (Runkeeper and Endomondo) Both of them sync the data to their app on iphone. Tomorrow I will try it again with a new workout. Maybe it syncs.
[doublepost=1547750601][/doublepost]
I found that if I went into that session and answered how I felt and such in the Nike app on the phone, it seemed to sync. Also are you cellular or wifi? The Bluetooth only update is like molasses.
My workout on apple watch is sync with the phone. I can see it on native activity app. the problem is it does not sync to NRC app on the iphone.

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland

Ah, I misunderstood - sorry about that.

I agree with the others that it may be a Nike issue. It is a shame - I love the style of the Nike app, but I wish it synced with other apps properly.

Magnificent

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2018
Ah, I misunderstood - sorry about that.

I agree with the others that it may be a Nike issue. It is a shame - I love the style of the Nike app, but I wish it synced with other apps properly.
Me too, I love the style of the app but Nike doesn't stand by its own app. It used to have had a website. Now there is no website. I think it is really a shame both for Apple and Nike. I also love to use runkeeper, but it also has some other troubles.
I wonder if there is the perfect third party app?

Reactions: Akrapovic

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
Me too, I love the style of the app but Nike doesn't stand by its own app. It used to have had a website. Now there is no website. I think it is really a shame both for Apple and Nike. I also love to use runkeeper, but it also has some other troubles.

It may not be what you're after, but I use the Apple Workout app (default one) and HealthFit app, which exports it to Strava so I can get my stats there. I too love the Nike style and graphics (and their T-shirts...and shoes! :D ), but the app needs proper support and updates.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
While it's not perfect, I use iSmoothRun to record my run. The AppleWatch app is very light and simple and works very well. The app has lots of export options to a variety of 3rd party services. I export my data to SmashRun.com and Nike (via GarminConnect).

It works great for me.

Magnificent

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2018
Today's workout sync automatically when I open the NRC app on my iphone new workout appeared But still yesterday's workout is missing. I don't know how does it happen but it seems it is working now.
The odd thing is today NRC sync to phone's app but the other Runkeeper and Endomondo don't sync to their apps on the phone.
I don't understand, what is going on?

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
The NRC app on the Apple watch is simply garbage. Do yourself a favor and follow the excellent advice of @Akrpovic and @ftaok, using either the Apple Workout app and HealthFit or iSmoothRun. You'll free yourself of the daily frustration that comes with using NRC, but still be able to log your miles into Nike+ if you wish to continue to keep track of them there.

Reactions: ftaok

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
Today's workout sync automatically when I open the NRC app on my iphone new workout appeared But still yesterday's workout is missing. I don't know how does it happen but it seems it is working now.
The odd thing is today NRC sync to phone's app but the other Runkeeper and Endomondo don't sync to their apps on the phone.

That's odd because i t usually does catch up with itself. However like I have already said along with many others, the Nike app continues to bomb and get worse after each update. I was using Runkeeper but just continued forward with Apple Workouts and used the Health app. If you are doing running outside, WorkOutdoors is a great app with exciting UI

Reactions: cfc

lasniko

macrumors member
May 24, 2015
Hi there,

Using Nike Run Club app with apple watch and airpods, I noticed that the volume was extremely low and I couldn't listen the Guided Runs audio. I didn't find any way to raise the volume up.

Any ideas?

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
So I just tried the NRC app, because I always like to give things a second chance.

It's still crap. It's so horrendously slow and buggy. I stopped my run and it vibrated, which suggested it had stopped the run as requested, but the screen didn't change for 10+ seconds. The sync time to the phone was also unacceptably long. And of course, still no ability to use it with HealthFit, and therefore Strava.

I *love* the Nike app style. The colours, fonts and the text it uses. But the app itself is crap. I love it when you finish a run and that Nike font pops up and says "See you again tomorrow?" or something along those lines. So much personality, but loaded on top of a terrible app.

I wonder if the makers of brilliant coded apps like WorkOutDoors by @cfc would be interested in sticking a Nike interface over their smooth and well-made app. People like this should be getting job offers from Nike!

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
So I just tried the NRC app, because I always like to give things a second chance.

It's still crap. It's so horrendously slow and buggy. I stopped my run and it vibrated, which suggested it had stopped the run as requested, but the screen didn't change for 10+ seconds. The sync time to the phone was also unacceptably long. And of course, still no ability to use it with HealthFit, and therefore Strava.

I *love* the Nike app style. The colours, fonts and the text it uses. But the app itself is crap. I love it when you finish a run and that Nike font pops up and says "See you again tomorrow?" or something along those lines. So much personality, but loaded on top of a terrible app.

I wonder if the makers of brilliant coded apps like WorkOutDoors by @cfc would be interested in sticking a Nike interface over their smooth and well-made app. People like this should be getting job offers from Nike!
Sorry to hear it. Every once in a while, I think to myself, "Maybe I should give the Nike app another go on my Nike+ Apple Watch." Then I read a post like yours, and am glad I didn't put myself through all that frustration again.

I totally agree — Nike should hire a proven third-party developer to do a total overhaul of its app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.