Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
After buying and using a D300, the D40 feels more like a toy than a real camera.

:confused:

Yeah, and after driving a BMW for a few years I just couldn't stand my wife's Chevy Malibu either.

Those two cameras are in totally different classes. Of course they feel different.

For the record, I really like my D40, and it's taught me what is important to me in a DSLR so I know what to look for in the next one. I wish it had more AF points, auto exposure bracketing, and an in-body focus motor, but most of the time I'm quite happy with it. It's a great camera to learn on. I see a D90 in my future to address those three issues I have.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004

Yeah, and after driving a BMW for a few years I just couldn't stand my wife's Chevy Malibu either.

Those two cameras are in totally different classes. Of course they feel different.

For the record, I really like my D40, and it's taught me what is important to me in a DSLR so I know what to look for in the next one. I wish it had more AF points, auto exposure bracketing, and an in-body focus motor, but most of the time I'm quite happy with it. It's a great camera to learn on. I see a D90 in my future to address those three issues I have.
I agree on the exposure bracketing, added AF points would be NICE, but not a deal breaker for me. Given the choise between a camera the size of the D40 and the D90 with in-body focus being the only distinction, I'll take the D40-sized/weighted body any day.

I want a "D45" - a camera with the D90 feature set, minus the in-body focus motor, in the D40 casing, with D40-esque pricing! :p For now though the D40 is great. Really, I just want AEB and HD video in my next camera, but I really, really like the size/weight of the D40.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona

I like my D40 as well. It's a great camera that just happens to have a major weakness (the lack of native autofocusing). I've taken a number of great pictures with mine.

I'm already thinking the 50mm 1.8f lens would be a good addition though...

Speaking as someone who has that lens and got it for the D40, manual focusing gets tedious.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I've been playing with the setting on our D40, and I think I hit something that I can't change back. In all of my pictures I get on the screen what appears to be a graph. The spike is highest on the portion of the photo where the subject is, but I can't figure out how to take that graph off so I can see the whole picture on the viewfinder. Does anyone know what I did, and can anyone tell me how to get it off?

Thanks much!

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
That's the histogram. Just hit up or down where it says "OK" in the center (when you're viewing a picture, that is).

binh514

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
Is it better to buy :

(From futureshop.com )

D40 (469$) + 55-200 mm AF-S DX VR ( 299$ )

or

D60 (649$)

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Is it better to buy :

(From futureshop.com )

D40 (469$) + 55-200 mm AF-S DX VR ( 299$ )

or

D60 (649$)

$299 is waaaaay too much for the 55-200mm VR. I got mine for about $180.

Are the extra 4 MP worth $200 to you? Personally, for the same money I'd rather have the D40 kit + the 55-200mm VR than just the D60 kit. I don't make huge prints, so I don't care much about MP, and with a longer lens you don't have to worry as much about cropping down to "zoom".

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I thought Nikon stop producing the D40 for years? Yet its still very popular compared to the D60 :D

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Its sad though, to see each Nikon revision to replace the D40 doesn't really fully replace it, each time Nikon introduce some new model to replace the D40, they took out some features in the D40, its like a give and take. And it seems most people prefer the old features on the D40, and the new features found on the new D40 replacements does little to change their judgement.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.