Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
no I was 100% certain this was a F/4 Zoom lens , its F/4 all the way though,

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=11924

its that one, I don't get the price... :eek:
Sorry, I misread 1:4 as 1.4.

That is actually a very nice lens, one I'd love to have (and will probably buy with my 5DMk3 when it comes out, or whatever other FF I eventually settle on).

The 24-70mm f/2.8 is obviously one stop better in low light (which shouldn't be underestimated, one stop is twice as much light). And they don't call that one "the brick" for nothin'... ;)

But the 24-105mm f/4 is extremely handhold-able with three actual real-world stops of IS; as long as you have some degree of sufficient light the 24-105mm is much more versatile as a walk-around lens with a FF camera.

Personally I don't think it would be wide enough for general use on my 50D (or pre-ordered 7D), but that mostly has to do with they type of pictures I "see"; I'm either shooting macro or at the wide end and tend not to shoot much in between. YMMV.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
no I was 100% certain this was a F/4 Zoom lens , its F/4 all the way though,

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=11924

its that one, I don't get the price... :eek:

As lenses get more expensive, they generally

a) are less likely to flare
b) have improved contrast
c) have improved ability to resolve fine details
d) maintain a constant aperture throughout the zoom range

All of these things require money (in either design or manufacturing or both). That makes lenses more expensive and also helps some pictures. Constant aperture on a zoom basically means you need larger glass (expensive) to allow the larger aperture at the long end of the zoom. The most expensive lens in the work cannot correct a blown composition, but it can help you shoot in poor lighting, or bring a special magic to a anotherwise great shot.

As as example, when looking at thumbnails of two images taken at 70mm, one with my 17-85 and one with my 70-200, it is ridiculously easy to tell which lens took each picture, there is just no comparison. That's not to say you have to spend a lot of money to take great pictures though. The kit lens stopped down to f8 or so will take sharp pictures, but you may have trouble getting enough light and your depth of field will be relatively large. If you take pictures in the daylight with large separation between your subject and background, you are fine. It can be cheaper to change your technique than to change your lenses.

leandroc76

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
WARNING: This has nothing to do with the OP...

but the girl in the blue outfit is gorgeous! Beautiful smile, and those pouty kissable lips... yummy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.