Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I wouldn't be so sure:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/DxOMark-Sensor

Note that the D300 ranks #25 in Low-Light ISO, behind such cameras as the Pentax K200D, K20D, Canon 20D, 30D, 40D, and XSi. They don't seem to have tested the A700, but these sensor tests suggest that the stellar high-ISO performance of the D300 is something of an urban myth.

When the D300 was released, reviewers were comparing it against the previous generation of DX cameras and it offered substantial improvements over those. I rarely shot my D2X beyond ISO 400 and my preference was to keep ISO at the base setting of 100.

Well, despite the D90 being newer, I would think that the D90, being a slightly lower-end model, would be about the same as the D300 in performance. *shrugs*.

They're both based on the same Sony sensor, but the D90 being a year newer benefits from further development. FWIW, rumor has a D300 successor being announced sometime this year. It will undoubtedly leapfrog past the D90.

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
When the D300 was released, reviewers were comparing it against the previous generation of DX cameras and it offered substantial improvements over those. I rarely shot my D2X beyond ISO 400 and my preference was to keep ISO at the base setting of 100.

They're both based on the same Sony sensor, but the D90 being a year newer benefits from further development. FWIW, rumor has a D300 successor being announced sometime this year. It will undoubtedly leapfrog past the D90.

I read at dpreview.com that the D90 doesn't share the sensor with the D300, they concluded it based on image characteristics.

Do you know for sure the D90 shares the same sony sensor with the D300 ? My impression was that the D90 indeed uses a sony sensor, but not the exact same one as the d300.

I have a D90, and would be great if it is the same sensor.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
As has been stated, they're practically the same camera as part of a larger Nikon or Canon system. Decide if you're going to buy more glass (lenses) and look at what each system offers you in that dept, and make your decision from there. Nikon and Canon leapfrong each other in the entry-mid level dSLR department. I bought the XSi just before the D90 came out, now I have a D90, and the 5D Mark II comes out. I've decided to move to the 5DMII and stick with Canon for good this time because I prefer their lenses. Aside from that, it's personal preference as far as features, feel, grip, price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.