Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Man I wish I spoke German...

How about French?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ye9t_nikon-d700-presentation_tech

nikon-d700-3_4.jpg

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
As the rumored July 1 announcement of something(s) from Nikon approaches, there is more and more buzz about the D700. So, D700 -- July 1, or Photokina? 24 megapixel D3X? Three new lenses?

In the interest of stirring the pot, here's a photo from a Chinese web site, which in turn was apparently stolen from NikonRumors. I have no idea if it's fake or not - opinion is mixed on most of the sites.

Nikon_D700_11.jpg

This image has been dubbed a fake. Here is the original:

2613106469_8376111ba8.jpg

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Yeah, I saw that. Maybe we'll find out tomorrow what the thing really looks like. Assuming the French video above is a fake too...

I don't know, there are a lot of photos that are similar to the one that you posted. I think there is a good chance that it may look similar to the photo and video you posted.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I don't know, there are a lot of photos that are similar to the one that you posted. I think there is a good chance that it may look similar to the photo and video you posted.

Of course it will look similar, we are talking about a D3 without the grip/F6 digital. It's a very good chance that it will look like a D300 with a D3 viewfinder on it.

If it looks different, and different for good reason I mean, then I will be very surprised.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Assuming the specs are anything like what these rumors say - I'll be pre-ordering one as soon as I am given the chance by a reputable dealer. Unfortunately B&H rarely does pre-orders - hopefully Adorama will.

I'm gonna be really bummed if this rumor doesn't pan out. :D

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Nikon d700 has been released - up on the Nikon Europe Sites

It's up on the Nikon France and Nikon UK sites:

http://www.europe-nikon.com/home/en_...road/site.html

http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/.../overview.html

http://www.europe-nikon.com/product/...627/views.html

12.1 megapixel FX (full-frame) CMOS sensor with high signal-to-noise ratio, wide dynamic range, and built-in self-cleaning sensor unit that minimizes dust.
ISO 200 – 6400: extendable up to 25600 (equivalent) and down to ISO 100 (equivalent).
5fps continuous shooting (8fps with optional MB-D10 battery pack with lithium-ion battery EN-EL4a or 8 AA batteries).
EXPEED image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb detail and tonal gradation.
Advanced Scene Recognition System combines the camera’s metering and AF sensors for precise exposures and sharply defined images.
Multi-CAM3500FX 51-point AF system. Individually selectable or configurable in 9-point, 21-point and 51-point coverage settings.
Picture Controls streamline in-camera image processing by enabling the pre-set customization of image parameters such as sharpening, contrast, brightness, hue and saturation in various color modes.
920,000 dot 3-inch VGA LCD monitor with wide, 170-degree viewing angle.
Live View with Autofocus enables composition of images by use of the LCD monitor. Two modes are supported: Handheld or Tripod.
DX Crop Mode can be automatically enabled when a DX format lens is attached.
Quick response: approx. 40 ms shutter-lag.
Active D-Lighting enables superior high-contrast images by automatically applying tone compensation at the moment of capture.
HDMI video output interface enables connection to high-definition video systems.
Intuitive ergonomics with optimized button placement for fast and comfortable handling.
Durable Magnesium alloy body: moisture and dust resistant.
Wireless LAN and Ethernet support via optional Wireless Transmitter WT-4.

The new SB-900 strobe is also up on the France and UK sites.

g7fHyEl_E53qGWBCx3C7p.jpg

Pf8PSePIUK9Fth7Q40oPV.jpg

I started a thread on it over on POTN (Ocean Blue) earlier tonight - we've been waiting over there on the 5D MK II for awhile.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
This paves the way to what I really want: An 18 - 22 MP full frame camera that can switch to "DX mode" even when using a full-sized lens. I don't know if the D3 allows you to do that, but anyway, I really do like DX in many cases. The only time I want a full frame is when I want to shoot really wide (although my Tokina 12-24 mm is good for that), and when I take photos of people (which is rare). In fact, if I were allowed to take a D3, D700, or D300, I may still take the D300 over the others (if I wasn't allowed to sell the camera immediately afterwards).

There are plenty of reason why DX is better for certain applications:

1(a) Macro: depth of field -- With depth of field being a problem as it is, do I want to get even less depth of field at the same FOV (or same equivalent focal length as DX)?

1(b) Macro: reach. I like the FOV my 105 mm macro gives me, and to get the same from full frame, I'd need to either move closer to the subject, or buy a Sigma 150 mm f/2.8 macro. Of course, a Sigma 150 mm would give me even less depth of field than my Nikon 105 mm despite giving me the same apparent reach (See 1(a)).

2. For landscapes, a longer lens is sometimes preferable over really wide lenses. Ultrawides like my Tokina 12-24 mm are nice in tight spaces, but for landscapes, the photos are quite boring. There's still a place for 28 and 35 mm primes in this world, and it may be for many landscape photographers. I don't need to shoot wider to get better landscapes. Wide shots can appear quite boring.

3. Birding. You can get the same reach using smaller lenses. For those people who can't afford a 600 mm lens, a 400 mm lens can do the same job.

4. General Photography --- I find the sweet spot of general photography to be around 45 - 90mm focal range in 35 mm equivalent (or 30-60 mm on my D300). Do I want to carry a larger lens to cover the same range? I guess some form of 2X - 10Y f/4 lens would offer better focal range without making the lens bigger, but then I lose 1 stop (f/2.8 to f/4) on the lens, which would require me to use a slower shutter speed or higher ISO to compensate. Sure, the D700 is cleaner at higher ISO, but its still something to think about.

Depending on the type of photography you do, I really do feel that a D300 is a good choice. D300 users don't need to kill themselves just yet. ;)

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Looks pretty awesome. Now I can't wait to see what Canon does with the 5D mark II. Nikon has really been leading some key advancements in the last year. The ability to use DX lenses on the FX cameras is really awesome. Canon needs to adopt that. Definitely best of both worlds.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
This is most excellent. My next camera will still probably end up being a D300/D400 rather than a D700/D800, but at least it shows that full-frame is beginning to filter down through the line. It also puts an end to the criticism that you have to pay $5,000 for a D3 when the 5D MkII will be around $3,000.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
This is most excellent. My next camera will still probably end up being a D300/D400 rather than a D700/D800, but at least it shows that full-frame is beginning to filter down through the line. It also puts an end to the criticism that you have to pay $5,000 for a D3 when the 5D MkII will be around $3,000.

In theory though Canon might choose not to compete directly and make a $2000 full-frame camera, like the 40D and D300 don't line up either. I kind of doubt that'd be their approach, but it's a possibility.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Oh dear, looks like my bank account is about to take a hit :D
I agree with others, this is the Nikon camera I have been waiting(hoping) for...

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Oh my goodness, I thought I was going to be satisfied with the D300 since the D3 is so out of my range ... and the D700 comes out. Lets see how Canon responds with the upgrade to the 5D =)

Abstract-From the press release:
• DX AF Nikkor: All functions supported
• When using DX lenses / DX mode 1.5x FOV crop

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
This paves the way to what I really want: An 18 - 22 MP full frame camera that can switch to "DX mode" even when using a full-sized lens. I don't know if the D3 allows you to do that, but anyway, I really do like DX in many cases.

The image area on the D3 can be either automatic (DX if DX lens is attached) or user-selectable for FX, DX, or 5x4 no matter what lens you're using.

I don't know for sure about the D700, but I'm pretty confident that you'd have the choice of FX, DX, or automatic. I don't see in the product info that 5x4 is an option.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
the SB-900 is huge...

from the leaked pictures i thought they had made it smaller, seems not.

Attachments

• sb900.jpg
    sb900.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 403

Naim135

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
St Helens UK
Think Canon has gone back to the Drawing Board

I have been speaking to a guy at my local Calumet store, he seems to think that thanks to the D300 Canon has had to go back to the drawing board with the 5D Mk11 so maybe Nikon has just got the D700 out just prior to Canon's release. at the price point i am hoping the D700 will be about £1200 -£1500 in a few months time

It's real folks. Looks nice too! Here's hoping for a competitive 5D Mark II soon!

sidebyside_nikon_600.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.