Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikon D90 or Canon 50D

• Nikon D90

Votes: 57 67.9%
  • Canon 50D

Votes: 27 32.1%

• Total voters

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
I know there are dozens of polls on the internet asking the same question, but they're somewhat dated and I'd rather get current/live feedback, in case there have been any major developments, before I pick up one or the other tonight.

FYI: I don't care for the video feature of the Nikon, but the geo-tagging will be handy.

Do you prefer one brand over the other?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
We Nikon folks will probably all say "D90", and the Canon folks will all say "50D" - so really all this poll will accomplish is counting the relative number of Canon and Nikon shooters on the forum. :D

They're both fine cameras. I'm sure this will eventually degrade into a fanboy argument though - they always do.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
We Nikon folks will probably all say "D90", and the Canon folks will all say "50D" - so really all this poll will accomplish is counting the relative number of Canon and Nikon shooters on the forum. :D

They're both fine cameras. I'm sure this will eventually degrade into a fanboy argument though - they always do.

Haha well I'm a Canon guy, but I say D90. Why? Because the 50D isn't as good as the D90 at high ISO performance, but not by much. :p

Of course, if you already have a lens lineup for a particular brand, you should stick with that. But since you're asking between two brands, it sounds like you're just starting off. So really, go play with the cameras in-store, and see which feels better to you. In the end, it's all about ergonomics, functionality, etc. It's what you're comfortable with.

If you can hold off, it sounds like both Canon and Nikon are prepping the successors to those cameras, so a D90x or whatever it's gonna be called and a 60D should be due in the next couple months. ;)

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Nikon man here , had the D90 and it was a great camera.. 11 AF points and very great handling...

You cannot go wrong with either. It all depends if you already have lens collection or you are just starting. If you already have lens collection go with that brand because glass is what makes your camera system. Body can be replaced easily but glass is your investment. I've choosen Canon and I'm pretty happy with mine.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I use Canon but won't vote because there is no "Both" option. I wound up with a used XSi out of finances. If I had more cash at the time I would have gone with the Pentax K7. Take that!

Dale

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I picked the d90 because the canon felt weird in my hand and it wasn't comfortable...
Also look at the difference lens you might want to purchase

MorganK

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
Texas
I voted D90. I'm a Nikon girl though. From my first DSLR, Nikons just felt better in my hand. So many of the features are the same it is hard to pick based on that. I'd suggest going to a store and handling both then making a decision.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
Go to the store and handle each body. Comfort matters a lot. Both will give you great photos but being able to handle the camera for extended periods of time is important. I was in the same position as you, went to the camera store, used both bodies and quickly found out I'm a Nikon guy. Everyone is different.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
I went with Minolta back when everyone else was going with Nikon. Years ago. Then bought another (Minolta XD11). Great camera.
Then with a Nikon 35mm.
Now, with a Nikon D90. I wanted what had been considered 'The Best' for years. I love my D90. I know Canon owners seem to love their Canons.

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
I went the D90 because I liked the way it felt in my hands, spec wise they are about the same. I just felt more comfortable holding the d90

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Go to the store and handle each body. Comfort matters a lot. Both will give you great photos but being able to handle the camera for extended periods of time is important.
QFT. Both are fine cameras and both sport some very nice lenses within their ecosystems. Go hold them, figure out which fits you best, and enjoy taking some wonderful shots!

The Mad Kiwi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
In Hell
Buy the Canon because all Nikon cameras are crap.

Just joking people just joking. Still buy the Canon, because Canon owners are sexier. That's not a joke everyone knows that's the truth, Ruth.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I say Canon 50D (because I'm a Canon guy and own one)

But then again, you really need to look at what you want to shoot. I shoot a lot of my son's little league/soccer/karate and looking to take more action shoots. The FPS from the 50D is superior to that of the D90. I'm not concerned about ISO. I know people give Canon a hard time about ISO, but it doesn't bother me (and I don't shoot much high ISO photos). Especially after learning my system and exposing to the right 1 notch. Plus Nik Dfine is one hell of a noise reduction program and highly recommend it for any photographer.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I have a D90 and before that a D50. I went in thinking and wanting a Canon at the time but as most have mentioned, the feel in the hands is what mattered more than the name on the camera. I left with a Nikon and have remained with Nikon for the same reason.
I think the happiest photographer is the one that is able to get the picture they wanted and enjoys getting out there doing just that :D Enjoy!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I shot Nikon when the best SLRs were Film, and shoot Canon now in Digital. I would go with the 50D. Mainly because I have the accessories and have "bought in" already :) But, I did, and still do, prefer the Canon features and interface.

bornblind

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2008
Alabama
Canon 50D I have one. Canon has never let me down. I agree with the others get your hands on both and see which one you like the feel of better. Good Luck on you choice.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Whatever fits better in your hands. Ergonomics is a big thing if you have to hold your camera a long time. btw if money is an issue, get the 40D. Cheap AND good.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
For some reason I don't even think how it feels in my hands, perhaps because that's not important to me (?). Instead I like the layout of the camera's controls, specially the buttons on the back of the camera. I like the button layout of the Canon 40D, although I will upgrade to a 5D II within two years, and use the 40D as backup for another year or two. Eventually it will be a 5DII for landscapes, and a 7D or so for wildlife, regardless of how they feel in my hands.

Now, I do like the way some firearms, and not others, feel in my hands :)

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
For some reason I don't even think how it feels in my hands, perhaps because that's not important to me (?). Instead I like the layout of the camera's controls, specially the buttons on the back of the camera. I like the button layout of the Canon 40D, although I will upgrade to a 5D II within two years, and use the 40D as backup for another year or two. Eventually it will be a 5DII for landscapes, and a 7D or so for wildlife, regardless of how they feel in my hands.

Now, I do like the way some firearms, and not others, feel in my hands :)

That's what I meant, how it feels in your hand and that you're able to control the camera without straining yourself. I like my 30D and will dream for some more years about an upgrade. It still fits my needs.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
You might also want to consider a mint/excellent condition slightly used D300- no video, but another level above the D90 or 50D in AF performance and durability/build quality/customization. It's basically a D700 with a DX sensor. Mid $900s, maybe even less now. Just shop around some forums and check the pricing on eBay, if you're comfortable with that.

Just something to think about...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.