Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikon D90 or Canon 50D

• Nikon D90

Votes: 57 67.9%
  • Canon 50D

Votes: 27 32.1%

• Total voters

jb60606

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Chicago
I wound up going for the D90, but may actually upgrade to the D700 within the next few months, for FX. I liked both the D90 and 50D, but enjoyed the slightly more ergonomic & intuitive design/menu of the Nikon. The substantial discount on the D90 made it a bit more attractive as well ($799 compared to $999).

I'm actually not new to photography, but recently made the leap from film to digital after some heartless tool stole my Nikon camera and lenses. Somewhat of a blessing, because much of the hardware was 10yrs+ old.

Picked up the following lenses with the body:

Nikon 85mm f/1.4
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
eyeing the 70-200mm f/2.8

Thanks for your input, folks.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I wound up going for the D90, but may actually upgrade to the D700 within the next few months, for FX.

I have the D700 and really like it. Having said that, you should really go to a camera store (or find someone who owns one) and try holding it for a few minutes. Compared to a lot of "consumer" dSLRs, it's a tank - heavy and rather large. I suspect not everyone will be happy lugging it around.

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
I am a proud owner of a Nikon D90 and it is superb but in no way am I a fanboy. I just happened to use a friend's Nikon D60 and liked it so I went out to buy a Nikon D60 as my first DSLR. Back then, I never really considered the 'future' as in DSLR opens a new financial drain... lenses cost a bomb, filters to protect, bags to protect, accessories, etc.

I think Canon lenses are generally cheaper than Nikons and are superior in video but Nikons are superior in ISO and image quality.

I think its best to try them both out. I tried a friend's Canon a few weeks ago and thought it was weird, lol.

One thing I have never though is migrating because I am happy with what nikon has to offer me :)

trjwv

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
kentucky...Go Cats

Picked up the following lenses with the body:

Nikon 85mm f/1.4
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
eyeing the 70-200mm f/2.8

Thanks for your input, folks.[/QUOTE]

Where and how much did you pay for your Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 glass.
How do you like it?

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
I have the D700 and really like it. Having said that, you should really go to a camera store (or find someone who owns one) and try holding it for a few minutes. Compared to a lot of "consumer" dSLRs, it's a tank - heavy and rather large. I suspect not everyone will be happy lugging it around.

After using a gripped D700 for several months now, the ungripped D700 seems almost small. But there's not much bigger than a gripped D700 in the DSLR world. Even a D3 isn't as big.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I've owned the Canon 1000D, and a few months back I now own the D90 and I love it, reading into the spec difference between the D90 and 50D I think the D90 is the winner.

But saying that I'm also a videographer and am currently selling my Canon HV20 and D90 and buying a Canon 7D for its 1080p shooting capability.

blackwind

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
If you dont mine waitting, There's a rumor of Canon 60D is due to release in early JULY

I'd wait, but i got my 550D is perfect for what i need.

Cheers

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
The only place other than my local store that I'd ever rent from is lensrentals. Nothing else is worth bothering with. They're too good, big and trustworthy for anything else.

Eaton Photos

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
KY
OP:

Go out and shoot the D90, and learn all its strengths & weaknesses. All in all its a great body, that has many features. I currently shoot Canon, but also have extensive experience with Noinks. :) Features are ever changing, and the only way to keep your knowledge current, is to integrate those features, into your shooting style.

As has been suggested, if you decide to go with the D700, then try & find somebody, that owns one, and will let you shoot with it a few times, so you can get a feel for its ergonomics, outside of an electronics store.

Everyone else talking FPS.

FYI, not being hypocritical, just pointing out a perspective. To everyone talking FPS, FPS isn't everything. One thing I suggest is, go back to basics & fundamentals. Learn to time your shots. Timing is everything. I have several 1D Bodies, and while they do achieve 8 FPS, I rarely ever set my bodies to "H" Continuous, unless I'm shooting something specific for an assignment. With Timing, one can capture the images your looking for in a 1 or 2 shot burst'. ;) Then your not deleting 10+ shots of the same exact image, with incremental movements. :D

Amasashi

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
I got the Canon 50D back when it first came out in 2008. I was outgrowing my Rebel and buying another Canon just seemed like a logical choice, not because I was heavily invested in Canon (in fact, all I had was a Rebel and the 18-55 kit lens), but because I wanted to stick with a familiar brand. Aside from the old Rebel, I've been a Canon point and shoot user for years. No reason really, just personal preference.

Last year at a company Christmas party, I was lucky enough to win a Nikon D90 with the 18-105 kit lens. All I've been using so far are the camera bodies with their respective kit lenses, nothing else. Here are my experiences with each system:

The hardware specs are meaningless, especially since you don't care about video.

The D90 has a more comfortable fit for me (I have medium hands). It produces clean images at ISO 3200. It also uses SD cards, which is more convenient for me and my iMac. Nikon's Auto ISO feature is much better than Canon's.

The 50D is bulkier but more rugged. Also heavier. It has a faster frame rate, which is only important for sports and wildlife. A lot of people prefer Nikon ergonomics and button layout, but I actually prefer Canon's, probably because I'm a long time user, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Yup, that's about it! Forget everything you hear about Nikons having more contrast or Canons being sharper. It's all the same. You'll get equally beautiful pictures with either brand.

BUT, picking a brand is about the its entire ecosystem, and here's where the differences are bigger.

In my opinion, Nikon has more lenses geared towards beginner's and general purposes users, whereas Canon focuses more on their pro-series L lenses, which are shockingly expensive. While worth every penny, they're definitely overkill for your average DSLR user.

Nikon also includes a lens bag and lens hood with every lens they sell, whereas Canon only includes these things with their L lenses.

Nikon hardware has a reinforced rugged plastic feel, whereas Canon has a Toy R Us plastic quality. Non-plastic hardware is the same for both brands.

In the end, I sold my 50D and stuck with the D90 for the above reasons. My reasons aren't very technical or professional, but as a amateur photographer who has no intention of turning pro, these are the trivial issues that matter.

Hope this helps!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I don't necessarily agree with you that Nikon has more consumer-oriented lenses, and Canon focuses more on their L-series "Pro" lenses... it seems to me that there are a fair number of consumer-oriented lenses from both companies being marketed to buyers of their consumer dSLRs. As far as the "pro" lenses go, Nikon's are often more expensive than their Canon equivalent, and equal (or better) optically (24f/1.4, 17-55 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 14-24f/2.8, 70-200f/2.8, 300f/2.8, 400f/2.8 as examples.) Nikon has for the last 2 or 3 years had the better camera body AF performance also, especially in their "pro" level products, and has also had more advanced flash technology (CLS) over the last several years.

Most of the rest of your personal observations I kind of agree with, although Canon has, IMHO, focused more on their consumer point and shoot market than anything else over the last 5 or 6 years. During that time, Nikon caught up in dSLR performance and leaped ahead. I'm sure this will go back and forth over the next several generations, but that's how I see it at the current time.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
50D. I'm a Canon shooter and prefer their ergonomics, and I use D90s (amongst many other Nikon dSLRs) at work...and they're crap. If you were talking about a D300s, then I may have a different opinion, but the D90s just...ugh.

Amasashi

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
I don't necessarily agree with you that Nikon has more consumer-oriented lenses, and Canon focuses more on their L-series "Pro" lenses... it seems to me that there are a fair number of consumer-oriented lenses from both companies being marketed to buyers of their consumer dSLRs. As far as the "pro" lenses go, Nikon's are often more expensive than their Canon equivalent, and equal (or better) optically (24f/1.4, 17-55 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 14-24f/2.8, 70-200f/2.8, 300f/2.8, 400f/2.8 as examples.) Nikon has for the last 2 or 3 years had the better camera body AF performance also, especially in their "pro" level products, and has also had more advanced flash technology (CLS) over the last several years.

Most of the rest of your personal observations I kind of agree with, although Canon has, IMHO, focused more on their consumer point and shoot market than anything else over the last 5 or 6 years. During that time, Nikon caught up in dSLR performance and leaped ahead. I'm sure this will go back and forth over the next several generations, but that's how I see it at the current time.

The sales figures speak for themselves. Canon Rebels are the most popular consumer DSLR. I started out with a Rebel myself. Canon loads them with features that first-time DSLR users find really appealing.

The Rebels are great cameras, but they had a few critical issues I just couldn't get over. First and foremost, it felt like a plastic toy, when in fact it is a rather expensive toy. The camera made a creaky noise if I gripped it too hard with one hand and the shutter mechanism just sounded cheap. Also, the camera was too small and my pinky would just hang in the air below it. Superficial issues, I know, but they never stopped bothering me.

I suppose you're right about the lens issue though. I should clarify and say that Nikon carries more lenses that I'm interested in. A major factor is that a lot of the Canon EF-S lens have that cheap plastic quality that I couldn't stand with the Rebels, so that eliminated a few selections for me.

Interesting how you said Nikon has a superior AF system. I've always heard that Canon did. In my personal experience, both were the same :p

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
The sales figures speak for themselves. Canon Rebels are the most popular consumer DSLR. I started out with a Rebel myself. Canon loads them with features that first-time DSLR users find really appealing.

The Rebels are great cameras, but they had a few critical issues I just couldn't get over. First and foremost, it felt like a plastic toy, when in fact it is a rather expensive toy. The camera made a creaky noise if I gripped it too hard with one hand and the shutter mechanism just sounded cheap. Also, the camera was too small and my pinky would just hang in the air below it. Superficial issues, I know, but they never stopped bothering me.

I suppose you're right about the lens issue though. I should clarify and say that Nikon carries more lenses that I'm interested in. A major factor is that a lot of the Canon EF-S lens have that cheap plastic quality that I couldn't stand with the Rebels, so that eliminated a few selections for me.

Interesting how you said Nikon has a superior AF system. I've always heard that Canon did. In my personal experience, both were the same :p

I'm not disputing that Canon Rebels are the most popular dSLRs (although Nikon did pretty good with their D40/D60 series for a while and I know quite a few people who bought D90s because it was one of the very first dSLRs with HD video capability)... when I said Nikon had leaped ahead in dSLRs, it was in reference to the technology, not sales figures-- (AF performance, Low-noise/high ISO performance among other things.)

There is no doubt that Nikon's AF system for the last three years beginning with the D300/D3 series and including the D700, has been widely recognized as better than Canon's, even with their 1 series. Canon may be catching up there now, but Nikon did take a serious bite out of Canon with their AF performance. And the low noise issue was once the domain of Canon until about 3-4 years ago. Now they've been forced to catch up to Nikon.

I'm not saying one company is better than the other, but they're different.

Canon is much bigger, and has a huge, huge stake in the consumer market from their point and shoots to their Rebel dSLR series. They make plenty of consumer-oriented lenses and plastic feeling dSLRs (creaky squeaky camera bodies the make noise when you squeeze them.) I shot Canon for years, and really like their ergonomics for 35mm camera bodies, particularly the higher end ones. But, even my EOS A2 (not a beginner camera) had this flimsy, plasticy, creaky feel to it. That was my main complaint. It was durable and held up, but it just felt like I could crush it if I wanted to. Most of their non-L zoom lenses were similar feeling. Their EOS 1 series has always been rock solid-- night and day difference in build quality-- but huge and expensive, not geared to a typical enthusiast, amateur photographer.

Nikon won me over with the solid feel of their consumer dSLRs beginning with the D50. It just felt more sturdy, more expensive than the competing Rebel at the time. The kit lenses weren't any more substantial than the Canon kit lenses, I'll certainly acknowledge that. But, being a smaller company and one with a tradition in optics, I think Nikon has focused more on the professional cameras in their line-up due to necessity. They don't have as extensive a lens system, especially in AF, but what they do have is a heritage of making top notch professional level glass. Their pro body line-up (for still imaging) still sets the bar overall, and this is where I felt Nikon was perhaps, as a company, a little more focused on the "pro" side of their product offerings because they depend more on it than Canon does. Canon fell asleep for a while, because they had the 15 year advantage with USM lens technology, and many working pros had switched or started with Canon. Canon had the marketing and the white lenses... so their image as the pro camera was born. In order to survive, Nikon battled back over the years and where they stand right now I'm sure they got Canon's attention. So, generally, Canon can go whatever direction they want to and devote resources to it, but Nikon has to be a little more careful, and get it right to survive.

That's just how I see it...

PS: I really like both companies, and think they compliment each other quite well. It takes Nikon to make Canon get better, and Canon to make Nikon fight to survive. We need them both.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I got the Canon 50D back when it first came out in 2008. I was outgrowing my Rebel and buying another Canon just seemed like a logical choice, not because I was heavily invested in Canon (in fact, all I had was a Rebel and the 18-55 kit lens), but because I wanted to stick with a familiar brand. Aside from the old Rebel, I've been a Canon point and shoot user for years. No reason really, just personal preference.

Last year at a company Christmas party, I was lucky enough to win a Nikon D90 with the 18-105 kit lens. All I've been using so far are the camera bodies with their respective kit lenses, nothing else. Here are my experiences with each system:

The hardware specs are meaningless, especially since you don't care about video.

The D90 has a more comfortable fit for me (I have medium hands). It produces clean images at ISO 3200. It also uses SD cards, which is more convenient for me and my iMac. Nikon's Auto ISO feature is much better than Canon's.

The 50D is bulkier but more rugged. Also heavier. It has a faster frame rate, which is only important for sports and wildlife. A lot of people prefer Nikon ergonomics and button layout, but I actually prefer Canon's, probably because I'm a long time user, but it's not a deal-breaker.

Yup, that's about it! Forget everything you hear about Nikons having more contrast or Canons being sharper. It's all the same. You'll get equally beautiful pictures with either brand.

BUT, picking a brand is about the its entire ecosystem, and here's where the differences are bigger.

In my opinion, Nikon has more lenses geared towards beginner's and general purposes users, whereas Canon focuses more on their pro-series L lenses, which are shockingly expensive. While worth every penny, they're definitely overkill for your average DSLR user.

Nikon also includes a lens bag and lens hood with every lens they sell, whereas Canon only includes these things with their L lenses.

Nikon hardware has a reinforced rugged plastic feel, whereas Canon has a Toy R Us plastic quality. Non-plastic hardware is the same for both brands.

In the end, I sold my 50D and stuck with the D90 for the above reasons. My reasons aren't very technical or professional, but as a amateur photographer who has no intention of turning pro, these are the trivial issues that matter.

Hope this helps!
Well said!

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska

A professional sports photographer I know uses both Canon and Nikon, and has quite a lot of the best lenses for both. Both companies make cheap plastic lenses, and also high quality lenses.

In relation to EF-S lenses, the 10-20mm is supposed to have glass equal to the L lenses. That said, I don't buy EF-S lenses, except for two that are designed from cropped sensors (Tokina 12-24mm, and Tamron 17-50mm). What I do is to buy lenses I can use with both cropped and FF sensors:

EF 17-40L (around $700.00)
EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro (~$600.00)
EF 200mm f/2.8L USM II (~$700.00)
EF 400mm f/5.6L USM (~$1,100)

The idea is to continue using my 40D for wildlife for a period of three more years, and buying a 5D II in about a year or longer to use for landscapes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.