Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
I got my first DSLR (XSi) back in December of 08. My parents use Nikon (Both are still using film, dad doesn't think digital is close enough to film). Not sure what model my mom has but my dad has an old, very old, Nikkormat. I went with a Canon simply because of the glass. You can always swap out bodies but the glass really holds their value and can sometimes make/break a picture.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I got my first DSLR (XSi) back in December of 08. My parents use Nikon (Both are still using film, dad doesn't think digital is close enough to film). Not sure what model my mom has but my dad has an old, very old, Nikkormat. I went with a Canon simply because of the glass. You can always swap out bodies but the glass really holds their value and can sometimes make/break a picture.

You have a point about the glass. That is how I made the switch from Canon to Nikon about four years ago. Nikon had come out with their excellent 18-200VR at the time. And had the 10.5 fisheye lens. Decided on buying both along with the D50 for my "perfect" travel kit.

bobert83

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
I just purchased 2 D90's for my photo business and love them. Just remember that you are marrying into a format, so make sure that you look at your future needs as well as your current ones.

bobert83

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
You have a point about the glass. That is how I made the switch from Canon to Nikon about four years ago. Nikon had come out with their excellent 18-200VR at the time. And had the 10.5 fisheye lens. Decided on buying both along with the D50 for my "perfect" travel kit.

Dear Lord I LOVE my 18-200 VR. Freaking does everything. Pair that with my 1.4/f 50mm and the 10.5 fisheye and there is absolutly nothing you cannot shoot.

GrassHoppa10

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
Listen to me - from experience

I have the D40, D40x, D90 and D300 - each for specific uses.

I have a good assortment of mostly Nikon glass.

The D90 is extremely capable - for most uses - landscape/portrait/sport/macro etc. paired with right glass. The kit 18-105 (which I did not get) is supposed to be very sharp, though build Q - soso. This should not be a limitation for your suggestes uses.

The 18-55VR from nikon with the D90 is a very good multipurpose combo.

The Nikon 16-85VR (my goto lens for many opportunities) or the 18-200VR paired with the D90 is excellent - though more $.

The D90 image quality is extremely good. Absoloutely NO regrets.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Dear Lord I LOVE my 18-200 VR. Freaking does everything. Pair that with my 1.4/f 50mm and the 10.5 fisheye and there is absolutly nothing you cannot shoot.

A perfect travel kit IMO :)

Many think the 10.5 only as a fish-eye lens - until they use Capture NX...

Add another bonus to the D90 - the GP-1 GPS add on....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.