Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
The new list price is still roughly an 9-10% increase over the current one, which will take the new lens over the $2000 mark at retail. That is a substantial investment for a non-exotic lens.

That's why my guess is $1999.99- the mental hurdle of $2000 is probably worth the loss of a few bucks.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
When Amazon runs out of stock on photography equipment, they often use listings from one of their 3rd party merchant partners. Some of their "partners" use this relationship to jack up the price like a ticket scalper on the Amazon site. Go check Amazon for the 5Dmk2 (both body only and with the 24-105mm kit lens) to see what I mean. Currently, Pavilion is even worse than DBROTH; though it changes over time. Most people don't look any farther than the logo in the top/left corner and blame Amazon (esp. in Google search results). In a way it isn't fair to Amazon, and in a way they have it coming.

Expect no different when some new Nikon glass or camera body starts showing up in short supply.

Personally, I buy camera gear from B&H. I *never* recommend Amazon.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
From Nikon's point of view they don't build cameras, they build assembly lines that turn out cameras.

Indeed, that's why Nikon's current strategy has some elegance to it- you build a D3 body line and make D3 and D3x's there- same body- no new line necessary. You build a 24MP sensor line and you make D3x and D700x sensors there- Same with D3/D700 sensors and components. Basically you end up with twice as many camera models with the same number of parts and you can run the component parts at full production and slap them in whichever body is selling the best at the moment giving you the ability to be relatively nimble in sales/stock terms.

I think this is one of the things people miss when they start to talk about things like the D700x "cannibalizing" D3x sales- the difference to Nikon is just scheduling which pentaprisms and bodies get made at what ratios- and volumes make up for margins enough that it's just not such a big deal to them, they're running the same lines and making/buying the same parts.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Indeed, that's why Nikon's current strategy has some elegance to it- you build a D3 body line and make D3 and D3x's there- same body- no new line necessary. You build a 24MP sensor line and you make D3x and D700x sensors there- Same with D3/D700 sensors and components. Basically you end up with twice as many camera models with the same number of parts and you can run the component parts at full production and slap them in whichever body is selling the best at the moment giving you the ability to be relatively nimble in sales/stock terms.

I think this is one of the things people miss when they start to talk about things like the D700x "cannibalizing" D3x sales- the difference to Nikon is just scheduling which pentaprisms and bodies get made at what ratios- and volumes make up for margins enough that it's just not such a big deal to them, they're running the same lines and making/buying the same parts.
I thought that Nikon didn't fab sensors or the surrounding microprocessing, only the body and component assembly.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I thought that Nikon didn't fab sensors or the surrounding microprocessing, only the body and component assembly.

I'm not talking about sensor fabrication, but the sensor assembly with the processing hardware, circuit boards, microlenses, AA filters, hot mirrors... The granularity of the process isn't the point, it's the modular re-use.

Modular common components is the design philosophy that underlies the products, which is why you'll see so many common sets of hardware in Nikon's product line.

The D3/D700 example shows how this works- same sensor components so "outselling" one or another becomes a pentaprism/flash/body choice more than it becomes a "which finished product?" choice. So does the D3/D3x, they're virtually identical outside of the sensor not for ergonomics, but for economics. Nikon only has to get and adjust the sensor component package and firmware and the machine that puts the camera name on to make one or the other- sell more D3 bodies, or more D3x bodies it essentially doesn't matter- the "cannibalizing sales" between models is only an issue if you don't have lots of common components. Nikon's built this strategy over the last several years and that's one reason why they can release "competing" cameras without so much worry about knocking their own sales.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
Personally, I buy camera gear from B&H. I *never* recommend Amazon.

I bought my 14-24 from Amazon and both the lens and the transaction was fine. I have also used the storefront they provide to Adorama on a couple of occasions. They're pretty clear about which vendor you're dealing with during the purchase process, but I could see where a person might feel deceived if they weren't paying much attention during the process.

I have given 10's of thousands of dollars to B&H over the years, so they are definitely my first choice of vendors.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I bought my 14-24 from Amazon and both the lens and the transaction was fine. I have also used the storefront they provide to Adorama on a couple of occasions. They're pretty clear about which vendor you're dealing with during the purchase process, but I could see where a person might feel deceived if they weren't paying much attention during the process.

I have given 10's of thousands of dollars to B&H over the years, so they are definitely my first choice of vendors.
Sure. I buy stuff from Amazon too, including my 50mm f/1.4. But with those types of price shenanigans going on, I can't just trust them enough to refer someone else there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.