Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
Can we agree to agree on something...? You really, really like image stabilization, regardless of focal length.
How exactly did you come to that conclusion?

Explaining the benefits of something doesn't automatically make you "really, really like" something.

I can enjoy image stabilization if it's available. I don't complain when it's not.
I've managed to live without it.
And so have everyone else for the past 27 years.

Doesn't change that it's a new, welcome feature to have, should you need it.
And I think the thread topic refers to Nikon mount options... of which image stabilization is only one of the considerations, not the only consideration, even though it is very important to you, obviously.
Again with an implied message? I really hope that is only a jab and not intended because that would be really of poor taste.

The simple fact of explaining something doesn't automatically make you an advocate of it.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
How exactly did you come to that conclusion?

Explaining the benefits of something doesn't automatically make you "really, really like" something.

I can enjoy image stabilization if it's available. I don't complain when it's not.And so have everyone else for the past 27 years.

Doesn't change that it's a new, welcome feature to have, should you need it.Again with an implied message? I really hope that is only a jab and not intended because that would be really of poor taste.

The simple fact of explaining something doesn't automatically make you an advocate of it.

No, your right! Explaining something doesn't automatically make you anything at all, but maybe the following quotes from just one of your posts might give a reasonable person the idea that you really, really like image stabilization (and that is not an insult... fer crying out loud.)

TWLreal said:
For a static scene, image stabilization affords you the luxury of stopping down your aperture in order to increase depth-of-field or using a lower ISO in order to avoid noise, at the expense of a slower shutter speed that will theoretically be handled by said image stabilization.

Image stabilization isn't simply for long lenses. It's a feature that can be used for static scenes, even on wide lenses. It's there when you need it, with a minimal impact on image quality. It's an invisible monopod that you can take everywhere and anywhere. Just because some people have no need for it doesn't make a feature useless.

Image stabilization lets you go as low as almost a full second, mostly reliably, on static scenes. No amount of hand holding and steadying will let you do that on a reliable basis.

The beauty of image stabilization is that you don't have to carry those with you and can benefit from stabilization in places where tripods and monopods are forbidden.

It won't be as rock solid as a tripod but it's always there when you need it.

So forgive me if I somehow made the mistake of thinking you actually really liked image stabilization very much. I stand corrected... you don't really, really like it that much, and can live without it if need be... The interesting thing is, somehow that sounds a lot like me...:D Maybe we're really on the same page after all? That's okay with me. Sometimes it just takes a while to figure that out... ;)

And from your quote above: what's the deal with all the "implied messages" stuff you're going on about? You can't possible be that sensitive...can you?

Here's what I said which seems to have got you feeling a bit testy:

pdxflint said:
...I think the thread topic refers to Nikon mount options... of which image stabilization is only one of the considerations, not the only consideration, even though it is very important to you, obviously.

There are no hidden meanings, I promise. Nothing implied. It is what it is, straight up. Just read your own posts and words in defense of IS, and Canon (which wasn't even an option) while not tackling the question posed in the first place. If I want to say something to you, I'll just say it, don't worry about that. In this case, I was simply trying to bring the conversation back to the topic of the thread, which was in danger of getting seriously hijacked into a ridiculous argument about image stabilization, which you were an adamant proponent in favor of... period. Read your own posts. The implication appeared very clear to me, but if it was not true it's at least partly your fault for making such a strong case for IS, when I think most of us already understand how it works. If image stabilization is not very important to you, and I misspoke when I said you really, really liked it, and you felt that to somehow to be a jab, or worse... then I apologize for any hurt feeling you may have. I'm sorry. Honest. I'm just trying to keep it real.

And, seriously TWL, I think you've made your point. Thank you. Now, can we get back to the original topic? Please...:)

PS: And I'd appreciate it if the next time I offer my own real-world experiences with equipment I use, such as the performance I get out of my Nikkor 17-55, or anything else for that matter, that you either choose to take me at my word, or keep your smug, amusement to yourself, and don't bother trying to "set the record straight" when it's my record, not yours. I don't really care what optical charts or reviews or you want to drag into this--it doesn't change my first hand experience. By dismissing my own personal experiences, told honestly, as nothing more than implied slams on Canon or IS or whatever, you're the one showing really insulting, and trollish behavior. And you know exactly what I mean. I just gotta call em like I see 'em. And again... if you read the topic, the original question was very clear. What would be the "Nikon equivalent" to the Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8? If you don't have an opinion to this simple question, I think you're just trying to make waves. You know what you're up to, and I think I've seen it before on this forum.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
To return to the OP's question ... :eek: ;)

In that focal length range and a constant f/2.8 aperture there are only a few options for the Nikon mount:

Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Nikkor - extremely sharp, no stabilization

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical IF SP AF - first version, extremely sharp lens, no stabilization

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical IF SP AF - has stabilization but (at least according to tests) not as sharp as the original version

Tokina 16-50mm f/2.8 AT-X 165 AF PRO DX - not the best reviews, no stabilization

Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC - not the best reviews, no stabilization
Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro - not the best reviews, no stabilization
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM - Brand new lens, features stabilization, Sigma just announced availability a couple of weeks ago, no reviews or tests yet

I have the Tamron, first version without stabilization (my camera has sensor-shift stabilization so I don't need stabilized lenses) and am constantly in awe at how sharp the photos made with it are. A truly amazing lens. As far as construction goes, it doesn't feel nearly as good as some of my old full metal lenses from 70s (especially the Vivitar S1 90mm f/2.5 macro, that lens is by far the best constructed lens I've ever even touched), but it does feel better constructed than the Canon.

My recommendation?
I'd go for image quality over convenience.
So depending on the budget I'd chose either the Nikon or non stabilized Tamron.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
VirtualRain... sorry this got sidetracked as it did. It might be a good idea to just ask the thread to be closed, and start a new one. Hopefully, you got some good ideas on what might work for your friend. I also think you could look into Tokina's 16-50f/2.8. I don't know anything about it, other than I really like Tokina's build qualities, and my 12-24 is a great lens for the money.

Edit: I see gnd sort of summed it up pretty well. From all I keep reading here and other photo forums, it's between the Nikkor and the Tamron (original edition) with strong proponents and arguments for each. The Tamron will save a chunk of change, if that's important, and yield similar image quality according to those who have used it, including gnd ^ ^ above. So, there's a couple of very viable choices, but without image stabilization, one likely to cost mid-$800s used, and the Tamron a fair bit less. Otherwise, maybe the newer Tamron would be better if your friend really liked the IS on your Canon...

whew! Bed time! ;)

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The list of lenses given by gnd is good and to my knowledge exhaustive.

I'd also suggest the Tamron (non-VC version, VC = IS = VR) if the OP wants to save money. The Tokina is also good, but I think its biggest drawback is that it isn't as good as people expected it to be.

If you have the money, I'd also go for the Nikkor. As mentioned before, these puppies were expensive when they came out new and since many Nikonians are moving to full frame, you can find a ton of these lenses on the used market for reasonable prices.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
This thread is fun. I liked the part where all of Photozone's sharpness charts for two lenses were posted instead of, say, two links. At least we were spared the vignetting/CA charts and those for the Tamron.

@pdxflint: Now, be reasonable; someone expounding the benefits of Image Stabilization for 4 paragraphs isn't at all a reliable indication that he, in any way, "likes" it. ;)

And, FWIW, Photozone wrote a somewhat lukewarm review of the Tokina 16-50mm. If I were in the market for this class of lens, I'd probably go for the (old) Tamron or the Nikkor.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I'll second the recommendation for the tamron. I recently purchased the image stabilized model for my girl friend's birthday and it's every bit as impressive as the reviews make it out to be.

I was torn between the tamron and the ef-s 17-55 so I took test shots at the store and compared them. As useful as online reviews and charts online may be I find actually shooting my own samples to be far more useful. The tamron was slightly sharper at center and roughly equal at the corners. I may have gotten an exceptionally sharp copy of the tamron or a subpar canon, but in any case I decided that given the price difference the tamron was preferable.

The build quality isn't quite as good as the canon's and the autofocus isn't USM and can be a little loud. I've also found the image stabilization to be a bit louder than I would expect from a brand new lens, though it's still effective. The tamron is a bit lighter though, which was a big plus for me, as was the longer warranty.

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
This thread is fun. I liked the part where all of Photozone's sharpness charts for two lenses were posted instead of, say, two links. At least we were spared the vignetting/CA charts and those for the Tamron.

@pdxflint: Now, be reasonable; someone expounding the benefits of Image Stabilization for 4 paragraphs isn't at all a reliable indication that he, in any way, "likes" it. ;)

Yeah... I know. I sometimes tend to jump to silly conclusions and open my big mouth.:eek: ;) And I'll also be more careful when I talk about my own personal experiences with equipment so I can avoid amusing, or hurting anyone's feelings. :cool:
Thanks for the reminder. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.