Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
im an amateur. i have little experience with slrs other than using my sisters 400d. i have decided to go with canon because of their range and prices. ill be shooting landscapes,people and alot of buildings. im thinking of getting a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 as my first lens or Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.8.

when i upgrade lens i will get the Canon 24-105 EF f/4L IS USM

i dont plan on getting a full frame for a few years. by then i should have some L lens and some experience....

For you indented subjects 28mm and 50mm are not nearly wide enough. The 17-50mm range is much more suited to landscapes and buildings.

As for people 50mm to 70mm is a good range.

The above all assumes a "crop sensor"

Most of us started with "full frame" and still tend to think in those terms so that is why you hear about the 50mm lens being "normal" but it's only normal with a 36x24mm sensor. The most common definition of "normal" is a focal length about equal to the diagonal of the sensor." So by this definition 28mm is not wide at all.

BTW you can get into full frame for cheap. Buy a film body for about $80. Use that for some of your landscape work, use that for those few shots when you want a little extra quality for large prints.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.