Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I agree that the video function that Nikon's and Canon's new dslrs feature is way overrated. Even if my dslr had it, I wouldn't use it. I'd much rather use a cheap P&S (with obvious limitations).

I second the others that you should invest into good glass. Getting a D80 instead of a D90 or a 400D instead of a 450D would be a good way to save money that you can invest towards nice lenses. From your description, it seems that you're not very experience yet. Hence, I would start with a decent bread and butter zoom (e. g. Tamron's 2.8/17-50 mm if you're strapped for cash or Tokina's 16-50 mm lens if you have some money to spare). Then I would add a flash, even a small one such as Nikon's SB-400 or Canon's Speedlite 270 EX. Put everything in a decent bag and then take some pictures. After one or two thousand pictures, you should have an idea what you're lacking.

Whether you pick Nikon or Canon will make preciously little difference at this stage. As a matter of fact, you should have a look at other manufacturers as well and not just those two.

convert09

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
Chi-town area
I have a Nikon D40 which I've have for nearly two years and have the kit lenses with it. I recently bought the Nikon D90 mainly because the image sensor is better than the D40 - which does NOT mean the 40 takes bad pics. The sensor in the 90, as I understand it, is supposed to be the same as the one in the D300, which is supposed to be a great camera. In my limited testing so far the 90 takes great pics without doing any +/- adjusting like one must do for the 40.

If you NEED video you may want to consider another camera, though. The D90 does NOT autofocus so be aware of this. I read about this before I made my purchase and it doesn't matter to me 'cause I'm not big into taking vids.

For my lens I chose the 18-200 VR. What I want is a fast long lens because I shoot a lot of low light photos. However, I discovered that with my new monopod I can shoot in low light very effectively with the 18-200. I shot a couple hundred photos the other night of our church Easter program and the majority of shots turned out well.

convert09

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2009
Chi-town area
Oh, and I have to agree with the others here in that the last thing you should worry about is the MegaPixels. Get a DSLR that has the features you want and learn how to use it. Also, take LOTS of pics. Don't be afraid to delete pics, either. Getting the great photo is all about taking lots of photos, especially when shooting a moving target. I shoot the birds in my yard and I have to wait patiently and take a lot to get the good one. Hope this helps.

Aqueus

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2009
Firstly, why is having the ability to record video is a must? You can't really use it like a walkaround video camera cause how a dSLR is design, the ergonomics is not really useful for walkaround video recording and it's hard to zoom in by turning the lens cause we can't get the very smooth zooming found in a proper handycam.

I'll go with what other says, get a dSLR and a video cam, dSLR video feature is more of a specific purpose rather then a all purpose use. And then now I bet in the future some people will request dSLR to have power zooming. Zzzzz

I suggest you to wait, D5000 just announced and Canon is bound to lower the price of the T1i.

What sort of price bracket are we looking at comparing the two? D5000 and Canon's T1i?

Anyone heard any good/bad experiences with the Canon T1i?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well right now, according to Japanese price (Nikon 5000D) and US price (Canon T1i : Amazon), Canon is more expensive then Nikon but knowing Canon, they will likely reduce the price of T1i to ensure the entry level consumer market sales do not end up to Nikon but you this to me isn't the greatest news, the best news is the price of XS or XSi (which is considered as a great entry level body) will drop considerably and the money you save on buying these will mean you can get another glass or flash gun which will definitely improve your photography beyond owning a camera with video recording feature.

Seriously, which is more important to you? video or photography? having both will just slows down your learning process in my opinion that is. Cause learning how to shoot proper video with dSLR will take time and it won't work like normal PnS video recording capabilities, and the time wasted on learning how to use the video properly could be put into better use in learning to take better photos :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.