Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
Am I the only one thinking Pro iPhones colors are super boring ? I mean graphite is a weird sort of grey not dark enough to be black but not light enough to be silver, the silver is boring white and the gold looks almost the same as the silver one. At least for the past three years we’ve had very good looking shades of blue and green but if the 14 Pro’s fourth color is purple and the three other ones remain the same as today, to me, the lineup will really look bad. I’d really love to be able to buy an actually matte black iPhone 14 Pro instead of graphite. What do you think ?
I don’t care too much about the color. The iPhone goes in a case and only leaves the case for occasional cleaning.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
A burnt orange color would be nice. I used to get the saddle leather Apple case, but I don't like cases anymore.

But yeah the "Pro" connotation seems to evoke a conservative color approach by Apple. Muted for the Pro vs bold(er) for the non-pro.

Reactions: compwiz1202

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
I have the new blue (Sierra?) And like it, but the previous blue (Pacific I guess) looked awesome to be. I love purple so I can't wait to see if they actually come out with that.

I used to get gold every year since the xs, and silver before that, but these colors they're coming out with are pretty great to me... Classy, and they don't get tiring over time. Love the look of the polished metal sides with the color.
Pacific Blue what a great color Pleasing to the eyes , unique
And vibrant. Would be great to see that color again. It’s a proven winner

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Agreed. I was also disappointed with the previous sierra blue and midnight green. In most light, they just looked gray to me..
I like Sierra, but Midnight and Pacific always looked gray/black except for in the sun

Shh

Suspended
Jul 28, 2022
Scorched Earth, Arizona
Funny, I obsessed over the color of my phone , got EXACTLY what I wanted, then it wasn't long before realizing that unless I took it out of it's case, it doesn't make a darn bit of difference what color it is.
Outside the case though, I think the Graphite is VERY attractive.
I admire it weekly as I'm cleaning both the case & the phone.
:D
This is why I buy crystal clear cases so I can still admire the color and appearance of the phone without worrying about my klutz-like tendencies to destroy it.

Reactions: arkitect and Brad7

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Seattle, Washington
I have a Serria Blue 13 Pro but honestly I think the Aluminum standard models basically always look better. I even like the weird domino looking thing the base 13 has going on with the camera. Ditto for the base 12 having a purple option last year. I don't like the super reflective edges and dull colors of the pro, but the base models lack too many things I want.

RedGT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2014
London innit
9DFA7857-9ACB-4749-B669-0D5318FF511F.jpeg
You could always get a skin wrap…there are so many colour combinations and textures to chose from. I went for a silver one.

Reactions: 1557750 and Brad7

Miha_v

macrumors regular
May 18, 2018
Getting a dark / neutral colored iPhone (and then just adding whatever case you want) on top is the most pragmatic approach IMO; Phone is protected, and you can easily get a couple of (relatively inexpensive) different coloured cases you can change anytime you'd like.

From my experience, whenever I bought a product in a specific color (that was my favourite at the time), at some point I grew tired of it 😄.

Aibocyrus

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
Orlando, FL
I genuinely miss the dark blue option they had. It looked SO nice that I often used it out of the case. I truly wish this was a color they kept.

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
I personally really liked the gold color options ever since they started using the stainless steel frames on the iPhone Xs. But I do agree that it would be nice to get more variation on the Pro line. I didn't like Sierra Blue, but Pacific Blue and Alpine Green were great new additions. I just hope they don't continue to hold back the interesting color options until halfway through the year in the future.

Reactions: Brad7

mansplains

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2021
I think a reason for muted colors is the processing for coloring stainless steel with some semblance of scratch resistance. I work in metal for AM use and surface finish for steel is one thing already given inherent properties. Granted, Apple is machining these, not printing them.

I personally would take aluminum with frosted glass on a Pro to get colors like product red, matte black, matte white. Jet black would be a welcome return as well.

Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.