Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neil74

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
Asked similar question on the bigger thread but from what I am seeing it looks like no changes this year to the home screen?

Can you still turn a 747 in that gap between the dock and first icon row? Do icons still wrap from the top etc.?

The lock screen changes are nice but given the ratio of time I spend on the home screen vs. the lock screen is no comparison.

Reactions: pacorob

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Asked similar question on the bigger thread but from what I am seeing it looks like no changes this year to the home screen?

Can you still turn a 747 in that gap between the dock and first icon row? Do icons still wrap from the top etc.?

The lock screen changes are nice but given the ratio of time I spend on the home screen vs. the lock screen is no comparison.
It’s baby steps with Apple. They sorted out the Lock Screen, now we just need to slowly encourage them to change the Home Screen.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
It’s baby steps with Apple. They sorted out the Lock Screen, now we just need to slowly encourage them to change the Home Screen.

Perhaps they could reintroduce the layout from iPadOS 13 & 14 and the today view. I won’t hold my breath though!

neil74

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2017
It was dull before widgets and now it is slightly less dull but the lack of any symetry just bugs the hell out of me. It has become a cliche but I cannot imagine that home screen getting past SJ or JI.

Also with the size of phones surely any dead space would be better at the top anyway?

Reactions: dustin_

biracialfamily91

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2015
Queens, NY
To be honest, I agree. I was looking for more customization options for the Homescreen as well. I’m just getting tired with the way IOS looks. It hasn’t change since IOS 7. Hopefully, the options for the lockscreen comes to the Homescreen next year.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I'm not a designer or engineer, not sure what else can improve the Home Screen experience. Frankly speaking, my Home Screen is still full of app icons and folders, no widget/stacks.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I'm not a designer or engineer, not sure what else can improve the Home Screen experience. Frankly speaking, my Home Screen is still full of app icons and folders, no widget/stacks.

A lot can be improved on the Home Screen the widgets was a small step but we do still need:

- have Apple and third party, user created themes for apps/layout without having to use workaround with the Apple Shortcuts app and adjust the app icons one by one and background
- have empty spaces without workarounds (like transparent widgets like ClearSpaces or invisible icons (blank icon slot)
- place app icons and widgets where ever you want on your home screen not fixed rows

Reactions: redbeard331
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.