Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klspahr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
After the last batch of updates from Apple (Mac, iPhone, iPad, HomePods in my case) I have decided not to install anymore updates.

Everything is just more screwed up than before. I spend hours trying to get things to work and it only leads to frustration.

I have always kept things up to date but no more. I’ll take my chances…

I have really lost faith in Apple.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Not discounting your experience but I have tons of Apple stuff and have not had any update issues of late. Perhaps you could share a bit more detail?

klspahr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
Here is a quick list, I could expand it if I thought anyone important at Apple was listening:

My Safari bookmarks syncing has not worked for months. Tried everything including multiple calls to apple support. Each device can see open tabs on the other device, so they are connected. Bought a new iPhone 15PM, removed the old iPhone, manually added the 15PM, updated the 2020 M1 MBA to the latest OS - no change. Took the old iPhone and added to a different Apple ID on the same MBA and bookmarks sync instantly. Back on the main Apple ID the MBA or the 15PM will not let me edit bookmarks from time to time because it says it is syncing. This could last hours or even days! But nothing changes on either device.

I have two homes, summer and winter, both with HomeKit setups, which acts the same but on different Apple IDs. HomeKit used to be reliable and quick when it first came out, now it is hit or miss. Sometimes it takes minutes for the front door to unlock, other times, right away. Sometimes HomeKit doesn’t respond at all for days, but I can use the app the manufacturer has and connect to those device that can’t be found by HomeKit.

I can’t let the automatic update happen on the homedud minis because it crashes or locks one or more of them up. I updated the homeduds here and I have been trying to get them to act normal ever since. A stereo pair on either side of a bed and the wireless router is just 20’ away on the other side of the wall. One will play and the other will not, or I can’t control them from the HomeKit app sometimes, or they will play different stuff on either unit. After trying everything suggest on the web, I ungrouped them, removed them from HomeKit, reset them, left them unplugged for hours, then tried to add them to HomeKit. Started with the right side. It lite up, put the camera overtop the homedud, and the left side one put out the connected tones, I WAS DOING THE RIGHT SIDE ONE. Great, started over but only plugged in the one I was currently adding. REMEMBER I’M DOING THIS JUST BECAUSE OF AN UPDATE! That was yesterday, I will see if they are still working today.

A couple weeks ago the $400+ dollars in my Apple Cash Card disappeared - no transactions on the card, just no cash. After two calls with Apple support and three calls with the company that manages Apple Cash my account was restored.

I can go on but this should give you a quick taste. Yummy!

I started with an Apple IIe and upgraded to a Mac II when it first came out. I have done programming in various languages, web development, and I have repaired and modified a fair amount of hardware over the years. Remember when you would clip a faster crystal over top of an existing chip on a motherboard to eek a little faster speed out of the CPU? So I kinda’ know a little bit about computin’ machines. Yeah, I don’t mess with my machines any more, I only use software from the Apple Store.

I do have other things that I like to do in my remaining years, so I wouldn’t be surprised if I go more old school and get out my old power amps and run wires to some old speakers and throw the homeduds in the trash. I just want to listen to some music before I go to bed. It just isn’t worth the hassle anymore.

End of chapter one in my bitch book.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.