Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
For instance, that means right now I would get an M1 iPad Pro most likely. But I am really hoping my current one hangs on for a while longer.
Yeah I think this is a good option. I have the M1 iPad Pro and honestly it's good enough for me - I haven't noticed any slowdowns - it chugs along well and the miniLED HDR / Promotion / speakers are all great.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
@eltoslightfoot

You just encapsulated the conundrum Apple has with trying to get more people to buy an iPad Pro

They are bumping up against peoples desire to do more than iPadOS allows.

If people can’t do those things then the value proposition for the expensive iPad pros just isn’t there for most people.

They can literally stop adding better hardware specs for awhile
That simply is not the issue

I don’t know who inside Apple thinks that is why people aren’t buying iPad pros more (hardware)
It’s so odd
If any company could make a convertible work it’s Apple. I have an iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard. I’m touching the screen all the time. It feels totally normal. I don’t have gorilla arm, my hand/wrist doesn’t hurt. Apple should make the iPad Pro their convertible device. They should make it their experimental device where they try different things and see what works.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
Apple has multiple device categories with overlap. I bought an M1 iPad Pro to go along with my M1 Max MBP and my Linux workstation. I was comparing an M1 MBA and an iPad Pro, in the end iPad Pro was much more valuable for my workflow than MBA. I keep iPads 7-8 years, so not in a rush to upgrade any time soon. But, for me can AVP replace my iPad Pro on the road? Would i want to spend 2K on iPad Pro, or just get a possibly cheaper AVP 2.0 later for similar price.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2022
What I like about the iPad is the versatility. It can be a simple tablet for media consumption when lying on the couch or in bed. It can be a note taking device with the pencil and it can be a capable laptop with the keyboard

The Macbook Pro can run more powerful software yes, but it’s a lot less fun to use.

Agree 100%. The versatility of the iPad is why I bring it out with me a lot of times and why I prefer to use it over my laptop. The only downside really is no proper file management system in the iPad. But it’s so much more versatile than any laptop.

Reactions: teralpar

Nekronos

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2024
People complaining that the 13” iPad Pro is more expensive than the MacBook Air are not making a true comparison. First of all, a more accurate compare would be the base model M3 MacBook Pro which starts at $1599 as these two devices have in common advanced technology displays (miniLED for the Mac and OLED for the iPad), 120hz ProMotion and multi-speaker stereo. The iPad Pro’s base price is $300 less than the MacBook Pro, and even if you pay an additional $200 to bring the iPad’s storage up to an equivalent 512gb it’s still $100 less than the Mac.

It’s only when you add Apples exorbitantly priced Magic Keyboard ($349) that you blow past the price of the MacBook. But despite Apple’s marketing and people’s belief to the contrary, the Magic Keyboard is not required to use the iPad Pro. So many treat the iPad as a MacBook that had its keyboard torn off, but that just isn’t so. A tablet computer by definition has a built-in onscreen keyboard, and the one in a 13” iPad (Pro or Air) is large enough to type comfortably on, and includes a number row above the alphabet keys.

True, it’s not so easy to jump and start typing away as a physical keyboard, but with daily practice you can get pretty proficient at it within a few weeks. There are people who are typing 80, 90 and even 100 wpm (tech blogger Jason Snell) just on the iPad screen. From Apple’s perspective, they’ve already provided everything you need in this flat, lightweight slate to do your computing, but if you desire to turn your iPad into a “laptop“ by using a physical keyboard and mouse instead of what’s already there, then Apple is happy to provide that for you as well. But it will cost you a pretty penny for this convenience. “Magic” Keyboard, indeed!
In order to compare any macbook vs an ipad, including the price of the magic keyboard is required, as any macbook includes said keyboard. The only reason you would compare an ipad to a macbook in the first place is the intention of you using an ipad in a similar fashion, which necessitates the accompanying trackpad/keyboard.

So yes, the macbook air AND macbook pro is cheaper than an ipad pro.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
People complaining that the 13” iPad Pro is more expensive than the MacBook Air are not making a true comparison. First of all, a more accurate compare would be the base model M3 MacBook Pro which starts at $1599 as these two devices have in common advanced technology displays (miniLED for the Mac and OLED for the iPad), 120hz ProMotion and multi-speaker stereo. The iPad Pro’s base price is $300 less than the MacBook Pro, and even if you pay an additional $200 to bring the iPad’s storage up to an equivalent 512gb it’s still $100 less than the Mac.

It’s only when you add Apples exorbitantly priced Magic Keyboard ($349) that you blow past the price of the MacBook. But despite Apple’s marketing and people’s belief to the contrary, the Magic Keyboard is not required to use the iPad Pro. So many treat the iPad as a MacBook that had its keyboard torn off, but that just isn’t so. A tablet computer by definition has a built-in onscreen keyboard, and the one in a 13” iPad (Pro or Air) is large enough to type comfortably on, and includes a number row above the alphabet keys.

True, it’s not so easy to jump and start typing away as a physical keyboard, but with daily practice you can get pretty proficient at it within a few weeks. There are people who are typing 80, 90 and even 100 wpm (tech blogger Jason Snell) just on the iPad screen. From Apple’s perspective, they’ve already provided everything you need in this flat, lightweight slate to do your computing, but if you desire to turn your iPad into a “laptop“ by using a physical keyboard and mouse instead of what’s already there, then Apple is happy to provide that for you as well. But it will cost you a pretty penny for this convenience. “Magic” Keyboard, indeed!

This is clearly a discussion about mac users thinking about switching to iPad so you have to default to including the price of the keyboard. You cannot comfortably type for a long time on an iPad screen.

iPad Pro 13" base and keyboard is $1648

Macbook Pro 14" base $1599

For all the advantages you listed going for the iPad there are also a lot of advantages of the Macbook Pro. I would never dream of paying more than a Macbook Pro for a device where you can't see your files and can't download programs from the web.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
In order to compare any macbook vs an ipad, including the price of the magic keyboard is required, as any macbook includes said keyboard. The only reason you would compare an ipad to a macbook in the first place is the intention of you using an ipad in a similar fashion, which necessitates the accompanying trackpad/keyboard.

So yes, the macbook air AND macbook pro is cheaper than an ipad pro.

Firstly, people who type fast normally do not look at the keyboard, which is why many like a good feeling keyboard. Which is why computer makers, even Apple, consider key action an important part of the technology. That leaves typing on the iPad's screen a far inferior experience and capability.

Just wondering though, does an iPad work with any old bluetooth keyboard? I am just wondering ...

Obviously if Apple allowed mac OS to work on an iPad, no one would be worrying. And people would likely buy the 1TB version to so they could format the drive into mac OS and IOS partitions. And then they'd also get the 16 GB or RAM which would assist mac OS.

OK then get the keyboard, 1 TB of drive, a pencil, anti reflexion screen and the cell version. $2,677.
MacBook Pro 16" with 18/1TB costs $22 dollars more.
MacBook Pro 14" 16/1TB, for $1,999 we're $678 in front.
MacBook Air with 16/1TB is $1,699 - $1,022 in front. Sheesh - add an iPad Pro one is still in front.

So really, Apple would still make a lot of money selling an iPad with a keyboard that could run both macOS and IOS. They get sales from Windows users who like a touch panel convertible computer, they could run a virtual Windows in macOS for those special Win apps. Apple would make probably more money from Mac users who decided not to buy a MacBook and instead bought the top spec iPads.

The thing that hurts this analysis is the cheaper 13" iPad Air. If people bought that instead then Apple might make less money. But then shouldn't Apple be customer focused? Lots of us want to be able to run macOS on a tablet.

Last edited:

SpotOnT

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2016
For most people, an iPad is just a waste of money. They have their phone, they have their laptop, they don’t really need a third devices.

Are there special use cases - sure, but in general, why have three devices?

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
For most people, an iPad is just a waste of money. They have their phone, they have their laptop, they don’t really need a third devices.

In 2022, smartphone vendors sold around 1.39 billion smartphones were sold worldwide, with this number forecast to drop to 1.34 billion in 2023.

Quora
According to [1], in 2021, 277 million laptops are forecast to be shipped, with nearly 160 million tablet units shipped in the same year too. This suggests that laptops and tablets are both in demand, but laptops may have a slightly higher market share. However, it's important to note that these are just projections and actual sales numbers may vary.

So laptops and tablets are pretty equal. While smart phones sell three times as much as both those combined. I reckon the trends show tablets will have larger market share than notebooks. Due for one to children growing up and their most popular tech being their smart phone.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023

None of my daughters friends in the 21-24 age bracket have a iPad, all have iPhone/MacBook.
Even my son 26 in IT, iPhone and MacBook Pro.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
None of my daughters friends in the 21-24 age bracket have a iPad, all have iPhone/MacBook.
Whereas my daughters in the teens have gaming computers, iPad Pros, and iPhones...So they would ditch the laptop/macbook if they had to. They live on their iPads.

Reactions: Isengardtom

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I played around with the new 13 and the display is nice, the price though is a turn off . I personally wouldnt buy a tablet plus the keyboard, for me the tablet is consumption and playing a few games- email- shopping. I tried the whole ultra mobile do everything tablet setup before, nope.. laptop at minimum with at least 14 in display

Reactions: AlumaMac

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA

Whereas my daughters in the teens have gaming computers, iPad Pros, and iPhones...So they would ditch the laptop/macbook if they had to. They live on their iPads.

You sure they don’t live on their iPhones?

…. The moral of the story is….

* Buy whatever is in your budget.
* Respect the choices others make within their budget.

All these gadgets are personal choice decisions that don’t affect anyone else (unless you intend to brain someone with your brand new iPad… :rolleyes:) - take a chill pill and either buy (or not) your preferred device and do something else more interesting than hanging around iPad forums, trying to justify one personal point of view over another’s (whose personal and financial circumstances you really have no idea about)

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
teens are different that those in 20's, iPad is useless for uni
Not if you are an art major. Now it can't do serious stuff, that's true. But it is fantastic for note-taking and artistic endeavors with Procreate, etc.,

Last edited:

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
teens are different that those in 20's, iPad is useless for uni
I used an iPad LOTS when I was in getting my business degree in college ten years ago, it really depends on each student needs to take notes, etc. Saying it's useless is a bit of an over generalization. Pages and Numbers were great, and hooking up Keynote to the project for presentations and using my iPhone to control the presentations was awesome.

And then when I got home, synced those documents to my Mac to keep working.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
I used an iPad LOTS when I was in getting my business degree in college ten years ago, it really depends on each student needs to take notes, etc. Saying it's useless is a bit of an over generalization. Pages and Numbers were great, and hooking up Keynote to the project for presentations and using my iPhone to control the presentations was awesome.

And then when I got home, synced those documents to my Mac to keep working.
uni students I know couldn't afford both

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Okay? What does that have to do with it? You can get an M1 Macbook Air for $650 at every Walmart in the country. You can get a better deal than that if you go with Swappa.

So you can get any recent iPad Pro and pair it with the aforementioned MBA above. It is a decent deal that will work all the way through university.

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
For what it's worth, I had a very used MacBook that I used until I built a Hackintosh because I couldn't afford a proper desktop Mac at the time. And the iPad was the lowest budget model.

That said, you'd be surprised, at my community college a lot of students used the new-at-the-time friggin' expensive 12" MacBook and most had the last of the non-Retina MBPs. Only a handful used iPads though. But yes, not a lot of students would have rocked both, I was just blessed enough to be able to do both by leveraging good a good used Mac.

Surfsalot

Suspended
Mar 18, 2023
Okay? What does that have to do with it? You can get an M1 Macbook Air for $650 at every Walmart in the country. You can get a better deal than that if you go with Swappa.

So you can get any recent iPad Pro and pair it with the aforementioned MBA above. It is a decent deal that will work all the way through university.
not everyone lives In the great us of a

• Angry
Reactions: dominiongamma
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.