Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Well we don't how long version 1.x will be updated as the main channel OS.
You expect Apple to break their track record of updating their platforms every WWDC? 2.0 will be announced, that will be the focus for the next year. What makes you think otherwise?

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
You expect Apple to break their track record of updating their platforms every WWDC? 2.0 will be announced, that will be the focus for the next year. What makes you think otherwise?

We don't know until we know. I'm unaware visionOS 2 is definitely being announced at WWDC next week, but if you are certain it is then I am very excited to learn about what's new.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
We don't know until we know. I'm unaware visionOS 2 is definitely being announced at WWDC next week, but if you are certain it is then I am very excited to learn about what's new.
I’m 1000% certain. No idea what it’s going to include, but I’ll be eagerly awaiting the Platform State of the Union to get some non-headline making details.

Once WWDC starts, and the schedule for the sessions start you can get a really good overview of what Apple has been working on over the last year.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I’m 1000% certain. No idea what it’s going to include, but I’ll be eagerly awaiting the Platform State of the Union to get some non-headline making details.

Once WWDC starts, and the schedule for the sessions start you can get a really good overview of what Apple has been working on over the last year.

I'm even more excited about next week now, then. 👍 Thanks for this. Yeah the SOTU is where a lot of very interesting stuff gets revealed. I can't wait!

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
If you're thinking visionOS 2.0 will require new hardware, neither will be announced at WWDC next week. I suppose Apple could show a major update and call it visionOS 1.5 or even 1.3, but that would be odd. TBH, I'm more interested in the update's content than its release number, though the latter will affect perception of Apple's commitment to the platform.

Reactions: fatTribble

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
If you're thinking visionOS 2.0 will require new hardware, neither will be announced at WWDC next week. I suppose Apple could show a major update and call it visionOS 1.5 or even 1.3, but that would be odd. TBH, I'm more interested in the update's content than its release number, though the latter will affect perception of Apple's commitment to the platform.

I didn’t know visionOS 2.0 was being announced next week. Obviously there won’t be new hardware or requirements now that we learn we are getting that major software update next week.

1.x would imply it’s a relatively modest update with fixes, refinements, and few new features. 2.x is going to be a much more substantial update.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I didn’t know visionOS 2.0 was being announced next week. Obviously there won’t be new hardware or requirements now that we learn we are getting that major software update next week.

1.x would imply it’s a relatively modest update with fixes, refinements, and few new features. 2.x is going to be a much more substantial update.
According to Appleinsider, visionOS 2.0 will be announced at WWDC but won't contain as many upgrades as some would prefer. Even if that's true, though, I'm expecting some much-needed improvements and am looking forward to WWDC. It'll also be interesting to see if Apple makes the first beta(s) available to non-developers, which usually isn't the case with iOS, macOS, or iPadOS.

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
According to Appleinsider, visionOS 2.0 will be announced at WWDC but won't contain as many upgrades as some would prefer. Even if that's true, though, I'm expecting some much-needed improvements and am looking forward to WWDC. It'll also be interesting to see if Apple makes the first beta(s) available to non-developers, which usually isn't the case with iOS, macOS, or iPadOS.
Hasn’t that changed in recent years regarding Betas?

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
The first couple of betas after WWDC are usually quite sketchy. There’s a reason Apple waits until July before allowing wider adoption of their new betas. One reason is keeping “normies” from having to DFU reset their devices due to OS issues.

It’s less of an issue on a Mac as you can install the beta to your dev partition and leave your production OS unaffected.

Macaholic868

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2017
The first couple of betas after WWDC are usually quite sketchy. There’s a reason Apple waits until July before allowing wider adoption of their new betas. One reason is keeping “normies” from having to DFU reset their devices due to OS issues.

It’s less of an issue on a Mac as you can install the beta to your dev partition and leave your production OS unaffected.

Agreed. I’m pretty adventurous when it comes to beta’s but I’m not installing the first, second or third developer beta of a major OS update from Apple on any of my devices. Once beta 4 rolls around I’ll look long and hard at iOS and iPad OS as I back then up regularly and have no problem doing a wipe and restore if necessary but considering what it takes to roll back a visionOS beta, namely a $300 developer trap or a 35 minute trip the closest Apple Store (one way) beta 4 is when I’ll start considering it but will need to hear plenty of feedback from users who aren’t reporting any show stoppers before I actually do anything.

I’ve been lucky so far. I haven’t jumped on any iOS betas so early that I’ve had to roll them back but I’m 100% comfortable having to wipe a device and do a restore from helping out friends who’ve had devices with serious issues that needed it i the past for whatever reason. I’m not going to push my luck in that department. I’ll do the developer betas when I’m comfortable that it’s highly likely there won’t be any show stoppers making the device unusable. I’ll chance it with my iPhone and iPad before I’d ever consider it on my MacBook Pro or now my AVP. Even through restoring a MacBook Pro isn’t tough either my enthusiasm to get an early peak at Mac OS isn’t nearly as enthralling to me as being able to do so on iOS, iPadOS and even visionOS through I know with visionOS having to restore it will be such a pain that I’ll take my sweet time with the developer betas. I don’t need a 1.5 to to 2 hour or more trip (if my wife is with me and what’s to go shopping at the mall during and potentially after I’m at the Apple Store) or to drop $300+ to be able to restore it.

iToph

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I’m pretty adventurous when it comes to beta’s but I’m not installing the first, second or third developer beta of a major OS update from Apple on any of my devices.
So what you are saying is that you’re not adventurous at all 😃 cheers mate

Harvey Zoltan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2018
Brisbane
Well most of the world hasn't had the chance to try version 1 of the software yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an incremental update at WWDC.

Reactions: iToph

Le0M

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2020
Apple should adapt all current native mac and iOS apps for visionOS.

MinimeJer05

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2020
Minnesota
Anyone else going to be downloading the beta once it drops? I for one am excited for the larger screen when using a Mac with it.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Anyone else going to be downloading the beta once it drops? I for one am excited for the larger screen when using a Mac with it.
I’m not sure that’ll be in today’s beta as the larger screen functionality was described as “available later this year”.

Would definitely wait for confirmation before installing today’s beta and being disappointed.

Also, something tells me you’ll need to be running Sequoia as well to get this feature.

geauxmac

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
Seemed like a decent update. I like the new gesture for getting the control center. I feel like I’m having to roll my eyes in back of my head to get it in its current form. lol

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Seemed like a decent update. I like the new gesture for getting the control center. I feel like I’m having to roll my eyes in back of my head to get it in its current form. lol
Go into settings, and edit the position of the Control Panel. You can bring it MUCH lower than the default position.

Reactions: geauxmac

Disher

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2024
Being one that got in on the first sell date in Feb, I have been on the fence waiting for big improvements. Waited for the WWDC and have to admit, disappointed. I may be listing mine soon, not much to look forward to in my book. First Apple product I have given up on. I'll take the lose and move on.

Reactions: iToph

iToph

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
I’ll try the VisionOS Beta tomorrow but im pretty sure that’s it for me. Mine is hitting the market.

The already dropped the ball. No ai, no iPhone mirroring but one new environment. Nah thanks. That’s not enough for me personally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.