Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you upgrade your iPhone this year to get Apple Intelligence?

• Yes. But I planned on upgrading to the 16 series anyways, not for Apple Intelligence

Votes: 60 28.6%
  • Yes! Apple Intelligence is the future and will be very helpful / productive / time saving.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • No. I only upgrade after X # of years or when I need to, and my current phone still works.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • No! Apple Intelligence is a gimmick so far. Will upgrade at a later time when it’s more mature.

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • Not sure yet. Haven’t made up my mind 🤔

Votes: 33 15.7%

• Total voters

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I’m planning to upgrade my phone this year but not for AI, I doubt i’ll use it in its current form to be honest. Then again it’s not going to be available in Europe apparently so it’s an easy answer.

jackietreeh0rn

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2018
Usually upgrade after 5 years. This time i might try and squeeze in 1 more year depending on how good the battery replacement works out for me when i eventually replace it some time this year.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
I plan on getting a 16 Pro but has nothing to do with AI. In fact I want no part of AI on a phone.

Reactions: Iwavvns

Delarock

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2016
Ahaha at my country we dont have even siri at local languate , so i iwant want AI i have to go with samsung

Bungaree.Chubbins

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2024
I use an iPhone 14. My upgrade window will open when the iPhone 17 launches, but it’s not an automatic decision. Before my 14, I had been still using my 8 Plus, and wouldn’t have upgraded except that the speakers in my 8 were dying. So I guess it comes down to how long my 14 lasts. Maybe I’ll keep this one until the iPhone 19, and keep my 14 for five years as well?

I’m firmly in the AI hater camp. At least Apple’s AI addresses some of my concerns, but I know I have to learn to live with it since it’s being foisted on us whether we want it or not.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
I have a 15 Pro Max so I can’t really answer the question of this post

However what I can curious about are the new iPhone 16 models and if Apple will vastly improve the neural engine of the phone to provide new AI features that are not available to the 15 Pro models.

very curious about that one.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2010
Where is the category for “I have a 15 Pro/Pro Max, and so called Apple Intelligence had better have an Off switch”?

Yes, I saw it will theoretically be opt in rather than opt out. Personally I don’t want it, or anything like it, anywhere near my phone, and I can’t imagine finding it compelling enough to make a case for upgrading to get it.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Like every year, I just see if there are enough features to get me to upgrade. Right now have a 13PM that still had over 90% battery health and still does everything I need it to do without any issues.

Also I really don't care about the AI stuff. That's pretty far down on the list of things I am looking for in a new device.

ab2c4

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
My wife and I were talking today and decided we aren't going to get 16 Pro's this year. The main reason: don't think an 8gb iphone going forward is the best option for longevity. We will wait for the 17 Pro that is rumored to have 12GB.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Clamjuice65

Suspended
Feb 27, 2023
If I upgrade it'll be in spite of the 'AI' features - I'll see how much iOS 18 allows to be turned off first. My 14 Pro is 'fine' but I'm debating moving to a 16 Plus just for battery life + more RAM, assuming it likewise gets 8GB this year.
As an Apple shareholder please upgrade to the 16series you might as well treat yourself to the latest and greatest Apple IPhone yet . 😏😏

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
No. If someone „motivates“ me to do something I do the opposite. So I will keep it longer than planned.

Reactions: Pepsi123

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
Apple intelligence is definitely the future, the question is only how close the current state of Apple intelligence is to this future. As a happy 13 mini user, i am very reluctant to upgrade, but i will be testing this AI on my mac and I can see it convincing me to upgrade maybe next year. I wouldn't upgrade this year even if it's good because Apple is likely to release a new on device LLM next year to take advantage of the new iphone hardware (12GB RAM, 2nm node). Anyway, it's good to see how well everything works and wait for them to iron out any issues before jumping to upgrade.
Ditto on all points. Love my 13 mini, but my company is preparing a set of gen AI features for one of our apps — so I’ll likely get the smallest Apple Intelligence compatible iPhone model with embedded foundation model(s) as soon as it’s introduced. If this device is bigger than the mini, it will only be for development and testing and the mini will remain my daily driver until it is replaced by a comparable small form factor iPhone or my Apple Watch — as I refuse to use a phone that I cannot operate with one hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: M1956

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
I have the 13PM and will probably keep it a couple more years. It's a nice phone that does everything I need. Will probably replace the battery next year sometime, which is at 87% health right now.

What tempts me to upgrade: AI features, better cameras

What doesn't tempt me: Besides the AI and cameras, I can't think of anything else that moves me. I have an M1 iPad pro, so I will get the AI features there. The cameras on the 13PM do a great job already. I have kept a screen protector and case on it since day one, so it looks brand new. Probably just get a new case and screen protector for it, put a new wallpaper, new battery, complete reset and set up...and it will be like new again.

tivoman

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2013
I always have the temptation to upgrade, but I’m at the stage where “if it ain’t broken, why upgrade?”, just like in the 90s with computers. I used to upgrade every two years.

I’m currently using an iPhone 12 PM & iPhone 13 mini.

justmadeupname

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
I’m planning to upgrade my phone this year but not for AI, I doubt i’ll use it in its current form to be honest. Then again it’s not going to be available in Europe apparently so it’s an easy answer.

Can someone say the reason(s) why Apple Intelligence is not likely available in Europe (UK in my case) for iPhones (and Macs)?

bondr006

macrumors 68030
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Can someone say the reason(s) why Apple Intelligence is not likely available in Europe (UK in my case) for iPhones (and Macs)?
You don't have access to the developer beta in the UK? I think it's on the 3rd beta of 18.1, which has the AI features. You also have to be using an iPhone 15 Pro or an iPad with an M series chip to use the AI features.

Edit: Never mind. This article has your answer.

"Apple has delayed plans to deploy artificial intelligence features in Europe because the American giant is unhappy with the continent's privacy regulations."

Last edited:
Reactions: justmadeupname

justmadeupname

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2022
You don't have access to the developer beta in the UK? I think it's on the 3rd beta of 18.1, which has the AI features. You also have to be using an iPhone 15 Pro or an iPad with an M series chip to use the AI features.

"Apple has delayed plans to deploy artificial intelligence features in Europe because the American giant is unhappy with the continent's privacy regulations."
👍

Reactions: Neofox and bondr006

stingazg

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2022
Southern California
I'm not necessarily one for the AI features, I am looking to see how it would improve Siri but using the AI on a day-to-day basis, I probably won't. Now I don't know how much more I will use Siri going forward but it would be good to see some improvements

goldmac2006

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2019
Still have not found a great deal on iPhone 15 pro max yet… to upgrade from my iPhone XR which still runs on iOS 18 beta. If there isn’t anything good for iPhone 15 Pro deals I’d upgrade to an iPhone 14 Pro Max in purple or gold if my iPhone XR breaks or loses compatibility.

I do love the UI and added features of Apple intelligence but will not take it too lightly.

Bungaree.Chubbins

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2024

Wow. That is the most pejorative article I’ve read for a while! It has strong “Apple are big meanies having a sulk because they were told to clean their room” vibes.

I actually am generally in favour of the EU, but there is discussion to be had about the DMA. It does seem a bit flawed, from over here on the other side of the world, but that article is just insulting!

Reactions: bondr006

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I won't make up my mind until I actually see Apple's presentation. If they demonstrate features tied to hardware that I will use then I'll go for the Pro most likely. So far, the AI features on Android phones have been a lot of weak sauce. I don't really care about changing the composition and subjects in my photos so much that they aren't even photos anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.