Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Now I know there seems to be lots of questions asked about how to make good HDR photos, but I would like to try something different.

This kind of thread has been done before, however, it never really took off.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/634070/

So here goes.

If anyone can post their photos of different exposures for us to download, create an HDR and then upload for feed back. I ask you for these images because I do not have my DSLR camera with me, I'm at Uni, and not everyone who might like to get a better understanding of HDR has cameras (or good ones anyway).

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
OK so this one isn't really taking off either, :p. Please if anyone has there exposure shots that they don't mind up loading for us to use and do HDR images with.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think your problem is that you're asking people to basically give you something of theirs and you're not really all that clear as to why you want it. So you want people to upload three images so you can make an HDR photo yourself? Why? I have to really ask that. Second who is "us"; you refer to "us" in your second posting.

I think your best bet is to a) understand an HDR image can be created using a JPEG, a very common image output on most cameras both DSLR and P&S, and b) to really explain the point of your request because frankly, to me it is unclear.

Personally, I am not going out to take a photo using three different exposures so I can come back and someone else can use the images to create an HDR photo. I will do that myself and post it for viewing.

The only thing I think I get is that you want a better understanding of HDR. You can have a great understanding of HDR if you would read up on a few sites. I mean, it's not like we don't have a really good understanding of history because we weren't there (well some of us that is).

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I think your problem is that you're asking people to basically give you something of theirs and you're not really all that clear as to why you want it. So you want people to upload three images so you can make an HDR photo yourself? Why? I have to really ask that. Second who is "us"; you refer to "us" in your second posting.

I think your best bet is to a) understand an HDR image can be created using a JPEG, a very common image output on most cameras both DSLR and P&S, and b) to really explain the point of your request because frankly, to me it is unclear.

Personally, I am not going out to take a photo using three different exposures so I can come back and someone else can use the images to create an HDR photo. I will do that myself and post it for viewing.

The only thing I think I get is that you want a better understanding of HDR. You can have a great understanding of HDR if you would read up on a few sites. I mean, it's not like we don't have a really good understanding of history because we weren't there (well some of us that is).

The "us" he is referring to are the people who are learning how to create good HDR images. That's what this thread is for----for those people learning how to make HDR images.

The purpose of this thread is not to acquire images from others to make HDRs for personal use. It is to get a better understanding on the processes used to make them. I have seen plenty of HDR images from others in the HDR thread, and some look dramatically "overcooked" while others look exceptional. The question I would like to ask is if this is a result of the quality of the original images or the method used to achieve these HDR images. This question could get answered in this thread. And if crappy HDRs are in fact a result of the method used then hopefully others would get a better understanding of how to produce nicer images.

The photos are just to get everyone started on a common ground. And no one is asking for someone to post their best images. That's not the purpose of this thread.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
The "us" he is referring to are the people who are learning how to create good HDR images. That's what this thread is for----for those people learning how to make HDR images.

The purpose of this thread is not to acquire images from others to make HDRs for personal use. It is to get a better understanding on the processes used to make them. I have seen plenty of HDR images from others in the HDR thread, and some look dramatically "overcooked" while others look exceptional. The question I would like to ask is if this is a result of the quality of the original images or the method used to achieve these HDR images. This question could get answered in this thread. And if crappy HDRs are in fact a result of the method used then hopefully others would get a better understanding of how to produce nicer images.

The photos are just to get everyone started on a common ground. And no one is asking for someone to post their best images. That's not the purpose of this thread.

Yes thats exactly the purpose of this, I don't want people to post their favorite exposures, just simple ones they don't mind people use. For example, someone could quickly take one of a not so good scene and it does have to have a good composition, just something for people to play around with.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I would, but I'm between computers and Apple is taking there sweet time sending mine.
How would you attach the RAW files? Arent they too big for macrumors?

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I would, but I'm between computers and Apple is taking there sweet time sending mine.
How would you attach the RAW files? Arent they too big for macrumors?

Well I was thinking just jpegs because the size of the raw files, I suppose u could just submit one raw file that has a midrange exposure.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
ahh, well I'll play along.
since i'm interested what you everyone comes up with here's a link to 5 exposures from a d40 with a sigma 30mm.
of course they're test exposures, simple, etc...
just don't go around and create high profile art/whatever out of it without mentioning me ;)

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/380634/thr33face.zip

my try, as posted in the "post your hdr":
hdrtestrd0.jpg

now, start fiddling around people! :)

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
ahh, well I'll play along.
since i'm interested what you everyone comes up with here's a link to 5 exposures from a d40 with a sigma 30mm.
of course they're test exposures, simple, etc...
just don't go around and create high profile art/whatever out of it without mentioning me ;)

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/380634/thr33face.zip

my try, as posted in the "post your hdr":

now, start fiddling around people! :)

Thanks for the pics.

Here is my first attempt.

DSC_0042_41_39_43_40_tonemapped.jpg

The exposure/highlights is a bit high I think.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
If anyone would like to post anymore or give feed back to others, I would really like this thread to take off. Mainly due to the number of people who have started doing HDR photography and I feel there is a lot some of us can learn.

I have CS4 and when I create an HDR image it seems washed out, photomatix is definitely better but I don't want to buy it considering CS4 can do HDR images. I know I can search the internet for tutorials (and I have) but if someone would like to write a tutorial and post here it'll let others see as well.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I just thought. It might be helpful if someone can post comparison HDR shot e.g. A single RAW vs multiple RAW vs JPeg vs multiple JPeg. This could help people see how far they have to go to get the desired quality for their photos. Obviously multiple exposures of RAW images will be better that a single edited JPeg, however if we can see a difference then someone might realize they do not need to go to great lengths for the kind of image they are looking for.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
I have CS4 and when I create an HDR image it seems washed out, photomatix is definitely better but I don't want to buy it considering CS4 can do HDR images.

process the HDR in Photomatix then tonemap it, once done, open in CS4 and alter contrast, shadows and highlights to your liking, + or - saturation to your taste, the HDR's produced in PS are too smooth, too flat, use PS to tweak the finished HDR's, myself i use CS3. Check out Valdore's HDR thread it's getting a wee bit long now but plenty of advice in there :)

Attachments

• mapped.jpg
    mapped.jpg
    644 KB · Views: 147

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Thanks I know Valdor's thread is getting a bit long that is why I kinda wanted to start a new thread with the purpose of helping people rather than just people submitting their HDR images

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Hey just to remind everyone to give each other feed back so that it is not just another thread with loads HDR images, we aim to help people improve, including me I am far from creating the perfect HDR image.

Also if anyone else would like to upload some images for us to use. Thanks thr33face for ur contribution.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I suppose this is my last attempt to get this thread going and put out there again. If it doesn't take off then I know this thread was just not meant to be :eek:.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
This is a great shot! I wish I had the RAW's to make it look better.
Also, it looks like you might have A LOT of dust on your sensor. I 'repaired' most of it but you can still see a lot of little ones.
Nice shot tho!

Edited using Photomatix & Aperture2

macrumors21.jpg

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Also, it looks like you might have A LOT of dust on your sensor. I 'repaired' most of it but you can still see a lot of little ones.
Nice shot tho!

ah well, the original RAWs, not even I have them ;)

hmm, sensor dust. yeah I know it's a lot. but as I mostly shoot in the f/1.4 to f/2.8 region i don't notice it.
last time i cleaned the sensor was, like end of octobre i think. :D
anyways, clonestamp: (and that's not even all of the visible ones)

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
Nice shot tho!

Edited using Photomatix & Aperture2

macrumors21.jpg

this kicks serious butt, congrats to both shady and thr33face
love the dramatic sorta industrial look, wonder how it would look in black and white. Even though having quite a bit of noise, it feels like it adds to the atmosphere, a more vintage/ damaged film pic

zoetropeuk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2002
Oxford UK
Tonemapped, NOT HDR

Please people, stop calling these images HDR when they're not. The final images posted in the this thread are tonemapped images NOT HDR.

Unless you're posting 32 bit images in an actual HDR format ie .exr or .hdr then please call them what they are, tonemapped images.

If you want to learn about HDR images you should grab a copy of this book:

http://www.hdrlabs.com/book/

Matt

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
Please people, stop calling these images HDR when they're not. The final images posted in the this thread are tonemapped images NOT HDR.

Unless you're posting 32 bit images in an actual HDR format ie .exr or .hdr then please call them what they are, tonemapped images.

If you want to learn about HDR images you should grab a copy of this book:

http://www.hdrlabs.com/book/

Matt

They might be tonemapped but they are HDR images that have been tonemapped. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.