Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tidehunter3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2016
Can't edit title but it says "used to"

Hey

I've had my new regular iPhone 7 for about 10 days now and I'm still not getting used to the Taptic Engine home button.

I'm using setting 3 and I just can't get rid of that obnoxious feeling pressing my thumb/fingers against a solid state "button".

It's gotten to the point where I'm getting pain my hand due to this, almost like some kind of repetitive strain.

Tried my friends 6s again and it was such a relief to have a real button.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I really don't wanna give up the 7 because of this :(

Koobs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
Hey

I've had my new regular iPhone 7 for about 10 days now and I'm still not getting used to the Taptic Engine home button.

I'm using setting 3 and I just can't get rid of that obnoxious feeling pressing my thumb/fingers against a solid state "button".

It's gotten to the point where I'm getting pain my hand due to this, almost like some kind of repetitive strain.

Tried my friends 6s again and it was such a relief to have a real button.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Nope., I think the redesign has been great. I like it much better than the physical button.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have the opposite. I picked up my wife's iPhone 6s and it felt like a chore to press a physical button. It felt very dated, even after just a couple weeks on my iPhone 7 Plus.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
Had my 7 plus for 11 days now. Got use to the home button before I even had it. So much better than the hardware button. At first I pushed it too hard too. Try reminding yourself for a bit that it doesn't take a lot of force. Spend some time focusing on just pressing the home button. That's what I did when I was checking it out at Best Buy before I ever bought one.

jjayr41

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
Coming from Android the home button for me has been awesome as its pretty much the same as pressing on the onscreen buttons. Well hopefully you will get used to this as the next iphones will have either virtual onscreen buttons or the same taptic button that is on the 7/7+

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
I love the taptic home button. I keep it at the 2 setting (3 is way too strong for my taste), and I never even think about it anymore. It feels just fine.

Tidehunter3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2016
Had my 7 plus for 11 days now. Got use to the home button before I even had it. So much better than the hardware button. At first I pushed it too hard too. Try reminding yourself for a bit that it doesn't take a lot of force. Spend some time focusing on just pressing the home button. That's what I did when I was checking it out at Best Buy before I ever bought one.

I know, for some reason my phone doesn't register a rather light press, I have to press rather hard to make it work.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I got use to my home button/taptic engine within a few hours. I absolutely love it. I don't like my iPad Air 2 home button anymore. I really like the vibration feedback through iOS natively as well.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I've had my 7 Plus for a day now, and I love the new button / Taptic even better than the real one on my iPhone 6. Really feel it's a great addition.

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
I know, for some reason my phone doesn't register a rather light press, I have to press rather hard to make it work.
It shouldn't take anymore pressure than the 3D Touch takes. Mine does. If my 3D Touch is set to light. So I'd say if your home button is taking more pressure than the highest setting on 3D Touch take it to get looked at. Or if you know anyone else with a 7/7+, ask to see theirs to compare, or check out a display model if you have one near you and compare.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I have the opposite. I picked up my wife's iPhone 6s and it felt like a chore to press a physical button. It felt very dated, even after just a couple weeks on my iPhone 7 Plus.

Same here. I actually failed a double press on a 6 as it's so much easier to do on the 7.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
If you're getting a hand cramp, seriously stop pressing so hard. It's very responsive, no need to go to extreme. I have mine on setting 1 cause I don't like the pseudo pretend feeling that the entire screen is depressing with the tap of the home button. Also have all the "system haptic feedback" shut off.

Reactions: caligurl

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I really like mine, now when I pick up my 6S it feels a bit weird to be honest! Also, I find that for me I need to use less pressure than on my 6S so what you might want to try doing is resetting your settings/doing a restore to see if you notice a difference, because it sounds like yours is giving you some trouble.

I think it would feel very strange without the 'feedback' of the haptic engine for me personally.

Tidehunter3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2016
If you're getting a hand cramp, seriously stop pressing so hard. It's very responsive, no need to go to extreme. I have mine on setting 1 cause I don't like the pseudo pretend feeling that the entire screen is depressing with the tap of the home button. Also have all the "system haptic feedback" shut off.

I know I'm trying to press it lightly but it doesn't seem sensitive enough. I will try the 1st setting now though. I will also compare it to other sevens.

andrewduff415

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
I love the new home button. You might want to consider lowering it to level 2 if you have to press really hard to activate it. On a side note the only thing i don't like about the home button so far is that you cant press it while its in your pocket. It only senses a physical touch by bare skin. that is my only gripe with it. But other than that love it.

Mabus51

Suspended
Aug 16, 2007
Do you have the 7 or the 7+? I have the 7+ and I barely press on the home button. Also try going into Settings> General> Home Button, toggle Rest thumb on Home to unlock. This works best as the press home to unlock seems flakey. Maybe that's the issue you're having.

tommysm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2013
I actually turned on my 6s yesterday and was kind of annoyed with the home button click lol. I prefer this.

Tidehunter3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2016
Do you have the 7 or the 7+? I have the 7+ and I barely press on the home button. Also try going into Settings> General> Home Button, toggle Rest thumb on Home to unlock. This works best as the press home to unlock seems flakey. Maybe that's the issue you're having.

Already removed the "press to unlock", my issue is that it takes to much force to press the home button/or I personally press it too hard because of that.

Tidehunter3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2016
It shouldn't take anymore pressure than the 3D Touch takes. Mine does. If my 3D Touch is set to light. So I'd say if your home button is taking more pressure than the highest setting on 3D Touch take it to get looked at. Or if you know anyone else with a 7/7+, ask to see theirs to compare, or check out a display model if you have one near you and compare.

Yeah will do that, when I find units to compare it to.

I can't be the only one with this problem?

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Yeah will do that, when I find units to compare it to.

I can't be the only one with this problem?

If you live by an Apple Store or carrier store, you can go mess with their display units.

You shouldn't have to press that hard at all, and it definitely shouldn't be causing discomfort.

You might not be the only one with this issue, but if you have it, your phone is almost certainly defective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.