Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
holy crap ISO 1000? the max i ever use on my dslr was maybe 800. and that was once in a new moon.

yeah i don't think apple is gonna compromise shutter speed here for a lower ISO. unlike my friend's samsung s10 where night mode takes a bit longer but comes out not so grainy. maybe they will keep working that deep fusion magic to solve this.

Reactions: ApplePieAlaMode

zokstar

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2016
Sydney
I am definitely getting noisey pics in not so well lit up rooms. And this is on standard normal photos not .5/2x

Noticed this on day 1 of getting the phone

Half thinking of going to get a replacement

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
I am definitely getting noisey pics in not so well lit up rooms. And this is on standard normal photos not .5/2x

Noticed this on day 1 of getting the phone

Half thinking of going to get a replacement
the fact that this many folks reporting noisy photos, i doubt replacement is the answer.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
iPhone 7
View attachment 863224
iPhone 11 pro
View attachment 863225
[automerge]1569361118[/automerge]
iPhone 11 pro night mode
View attachment 863228
The 11 Pro blows the 7 image away. It’s not even close. Yes, a bit too high exposure & lifting of shadows but look at the stains? on the wood grain (right drawer) and Sonos text. 7 is hiding lack of detail in shadows. I saved both of these to look at. The detail from the 11P, even with the brightened image, is much higher IMO.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Here are some of my noisy examples: Both are taken under a patio in daylight along with stage lighting. One is taken with the ultra wide lens and the other with the telephoto lens. After looking up the stats on each picture it looks like the ultra wide shot had an ISO of 1000!!! And the telephoto pic has an iso of 800. Those are very high ISOs and of course they will create that kind of noise. Even my DSLR will produce noise at those ISOs. My question is, why is Apple bumping it that high for a scene that isn’t low light. I can understand if it was a dark room with no flash but these are bright scenes. You can see the color and brightness is great! But the noise is unacceptable. Zoom in to the singers skin, hat, and background to really see how bad the noise is. If you can’t see the noise or don’t think it’s bad, I envy you. My photographer-eyes can’t unsee this. And again, I know our phones should not replace a pro camera, I’m just commenting on the fact that these pics are much noisier than my XS and for all the hype surrounding this camera upgrade I expected more.
No EXIF data on one image. The closer image is at 1/30 and looks to be not focused on the face. Add some noise reduction IMO. Few cameras would produce a great image here without significant stabilization. Can’t help the focus point looks to be closer to the mic and at f2 its very unlikely her face is also in focus. The SS alone isn’t fast enough to capture detail and limit motion blur IMO.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
the fact that this many folks reporting noisy photos, i doubt replacement is the answer.
More likely some, not all, need to google how to take an image and what reasonable limitations of a camera are. I have Fuji and Nikon gear that will make a singer look blurry at 1/30 SS, f2, ISO 800 with the face not being in focus.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Here are some images in moderate light. Depth of field can be seen, especially with the close up of the 18-55 and the 18 is naturally out of focus. Great sharpness. Can even see dust on the lens that I didn’t know was there. Also good sharpness in wood grain in the in-focus area of first image.

DE95C45F-3643-4B36-8F49-C71DB481DE7E.jpeg

0061E167-5670-4A03-8899-330FC14E9A19.jpeg

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
No EXIF data on one image. The closer image is at 1/30 and looks to be not focused on the face. Add some noise reduction IMO. Few cameras would produce a great image here without significant stabilization. Can’t help the focus point looks to be closer to the mic and at f2 its very unlikely her face is also in focus. The SS alone isn’t fast enough to capture detail and limit motion blur IMO.

my pics were only shared to showcase the noise that’s unnecessarily present. And to show those who were asking what noise even is. I wasn’t composing the shot as I would with my DSLR of course and I wasnt giving it the effort I would had it been a pro shoot. Just playing around with my new phone. It was a quick point and shoot as I would any day when I’m not focusing (pun intended) on getting the cleanest shot possible. That being said, while I realize that the sensors on these cameras are small and the limitations are high, My issue is that the amount of noise I’m getting is worse than my XS under similar shooting conditions. I’m not planning on using my iPhone as a pro tool but I was hoping for an improvement that was so heavily expressed at the keynote. After doing some test shots with my XS and pro11 using the same auto setting and reading the metadata, I’m showing a higher ISO with the 11pro for the exact same picture. So for me that proves why I’m seeing more noise. In brighter light, I’m not seeing as much of an ISO boost when comparing both cameras. Now is that a reason to return the phone? I’ve decided not. I think some of the other pros outweigh the cons and I’ll live with it. I’ll have to either manually edit the noise, or I’ll shoot with a 3rd party camera app where I can control the ISO if its looking really bad.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
More likely some, not all, need to google how to take an image and what reasonable limitations of a camera are. I have Fuji and Nikon gear that will make a singer look blurry at 1/30 SS, f2, ISO 800 with the face not being in focus.
not familiar with nikon or fuji, i shoot with a canon 5d mark 3, i do not go over ISO 800 unless the light is really bad and i don't have a tripod for long SS. i'm sure the sensor on the mark 3 can handle more than 1600 or even 3200, but its more chance i'm taking in post processing. again this is a full frame sensor in a dslr, for a phone point and shoot like the iphone, i can't imagine it takes too kindly to any high iso.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
my pics were only shared to showcase the noise that’s unnecessarily present. And to show those who were asking what noise even is. I wasn’t composing the shot as I would with my DSLR of course and I wasnt giving it the effort I would had it been a pro shoot. Just playing around with my new phone. It was a quick point and shoot as I would any day when I’m not focusing (pun intended) on getting the cleanest shot possible. That being said, while I realize that the sensors on these cameras are small and the limitations are high, My issue is that the amount of noise I’m getting is worse than my XS under similar shooting conditions. I’m not planning on using my iPhone as a pro tool but I was hoping for an improvement that was so heavily expressed at the keynote. After doing some test shots with my XS and pro11 using the same auto setting and reading the metadata, I’m showing a higher ISO with the 11pro for the exact same picture. So for me that proves why I’m seeing more noise. In brighter light, I’m not seeing as much of an ISO boost when comparing both cameras. Now is that a reason to return the phone? I’ve decided not. I think some of the other pros outweigh the cons and I’ll live with it. I’ll have to either manually edit the noise, or I’ll shoot with a 3rd party camera app where I can control the ISO if its looking really bad.
Makes sense. Some of the images seem brighter than necessary for a ‘real’ look. Maybe Apple can chill with the ISO. The HDR is pretty aggressive as well.
[automerge]1569379736[/automerge]
not familiar with nikon or fuji, i shoot with a canon 5d mark 3, i do not go over ISO 800 unless the light is really bad and i don't have a tripod for long SS. i'm sure the sensor on the mark 3 can handle more than 1600 or even 3200, but its more chance i'm taking in post processing. again this is a full frame sensor in a dslr, for a phone point and shoot like the iphone, i can't imagine it takes too kindly to any high iso.
Agree on ISO & iPhone. I used to run from ISO but recently was convinced to try up to 3200 and was impressed with what some enthusiast bodies could do.

OnTheVergeOnline

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2020
Hey - I design clothes and I shoot them indoors a white wall.
I just receive my 11 Pro and the light is terrible, my white wall is dark
My iPhone 5 and 7 take way better indoor shots :(
I rang Apple and asked for a replacement.
Meanwhile I tried my housemate phone - the same model 11 Pro and same issue
Did you get an exchange? Did you find a work around?
Thank you, Virg

Flappy Dunk

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
I have the iPhone 11 Pro, which has the exact same camera as the 11 Pro Max. No camera issues at all.

deivydas

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2014
Vilnius, Lithuania
11 Pro has really good camera, but still - not Pixel 4 good (I just sold Pixel and bought 11 Pro, so I know what I'm speaking about). Biggest 11 Pro advantages are wide angle lens and brilliant video capabilities. The most disappointing thing with iPhone camera (and where Pixel really shines) - Portrait mode. With iPhone it's so painful to use portrait mode, that I simply stop caring about it at all (come closer, no, make few steps back, no, one step forward, bla bla bla, really crappy solution) and even when it's working - results are average at best.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
11 Pro has really good camera, but still - not Pixel 4 good (I just sold Pixel and bought 11 Pro, so I know what I'm speaking about). Biggest 11 Pro advantages are wide angle lens and brilliant video capabilities. The most disappointing thing with iPhone camera (and where Pixel really shines) - Portrait mode. With iPhone it's so painful to use portrait mode, that I simply stop caring about it at all (come closer, no, make few steps back, no, one step forward, bla bla bla, really crappy solution) and even when it's working - results are average at best.

I would say pixel and iPhone are both in the same tier. iPhones video makes it a more complete camera.

Pixel is great at stills and portrait but feel iPhone has the edge in other areas. TOF on the 12 pro should improve ultra wide and portrait mode from the sounds

Reactions: deivydas

pascaladjaero

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2017
Have both 11 pro max and 4 XL, can confirm the Pixel is better even in low light.

iPhone takes better videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.