Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Notch - Do You Approve?

• Yes

Votes: 167 73.2%
  • No

Votes: 61 26.8%

• Total voters

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
This is ridiculous, what on Earth were they thinking?

I have a Macbook Pro and I definitely won’t be ‘upgrading’ to this awful looking thing. There is no need for any fancy cameras or even face id on a pro macbook.

Regardless if the notch area goes black in fullscreen mode, it will still cause massive problems. People often have 2/3 windows open at the same time and that huge notch will massively interfere.

Has Apple forgotten why people buy the Macbook Pro? It’s like the Mac Pro all over again, Apple started screwing with bin designs until they realised all Pro users wanted was a powerful computer so they could do their work.

I can’t be the only one feeling this way, as someone who owns multiple apple products.

virulent

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2014
They can't use the area enclosed by the notch by default. https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/19/macos-app-compatibility-mode-notch/

The workspace below the notch is still 16:10. The bezel with the camera housing is brand new space that did not exist before.

I think the above lines are repeated every other post in every notch thread :eek:

I can't wait to see apps that use the full screen in full screen mode, notch included.

dogegg

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
No need for fancy cameras? More people working remotely than ever before using webcams to stay in touch. Hopefully centre stage is to come too.

I think it looks fine and I'm sure if the only bad thing to say about these amazing machines is the notch, it is has been a success.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
It's clearly spaced out for a future face ID module and perhaps even better facetime cameras. It's not so much about this 2021 model but rather going forward it will allow for future webacam upgrades and consistency in the OS for this space allocation. The extra width is necessary because the screen doesn't have the depth for the current Face ID modules etc.

I'd much rather have a notch than stay stagnant on the same 720p webcam that we've had for years.

Spanther

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2020
Yo, mods, can we get a sticky explaining why the notch is there and how it doesn't interfere with workflow?

The amount of threads based on people not understanding how it works is getting ridiculous. Then everyone has to dive in and explain it again to prevent misinformation from spreading.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
Yo, mods, can we get a sticky explaining why the notch is there and how it doesn't interfere with workflow?

The amount of threads based on people not understanding how it works is getting ridiculous. Then everyone has to dive in and explain it again to prevent misinformation from spreading.
Agreed. I'm not a fan of the notch & believe it could be mitigated by Apple: Hide it on the login window & make the menu bar black.

• Angry
Reactions: NC12 and Saturn007

SicTransitGloriaMundi

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2016
I’ve been oblivious to the notch in my iPhone X, Xs, 11 Pro, 12 Pro and now 13 Pro as well. It’s a complete non-issue.
the notch on the iphone is not a problem, because *drummroll* it's just a phone. it's not like i have all my pro-apps/adobe-cc running on it and work on it couple of hours a day.

also: if they needed to include a notch on the macbook-pro, why is it faceid-less? and my ipad-pro houses a faceid-sensor inside the bezel instead of including a fugly notch. why is it possible on this product, but not on the mbpro?

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
also: if they needed to include a notch on the macbook-pro, why is it faceid-less? and my ipad-pro houses a faceid-sensor inside the bezel instead of including a fugly notch. why is it possible on this product, but not on the mbpro?
The MacBook Pro lid is less than 4mm thick, too thin for the components required for the Face ID system. They're likely thinking about the future when they are able to eventually put Face ID in MacBooks. Incorporate the notch now so we can get used to it.

Reactions: Sowelu and NC12

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
This is ridiculous, what on Earth were they thinking?

I have a Macbook Pro and I definitely won’t be ‘upgrading’ to this awful looking thing. There is no need for any fancy cameras or even face id on a pro macbook.

Regardless if the notch area goes black in fullscreen mode, it will still cause massive problems. People often have 2/3 windows open at the same time and that huge notch will massively interfere.

Has Apple forgotten why people buy the Macbook Pro? It’s like the Mac Pro all over again, Apple started screwing with bin designs until they realised all Pro users wanted was a powerful computer so they could do their work.

I can’t be the only one feeling this way, as someone who owns multiple apple products.
(Formatting these to match what I'm replying to:)

Did you sleep through the last 19 months?

No it won't - if you have 2/3 windows open at the same time, only the MacOS menubar will feature in the "horns" either side of the notch.

No, they finally remembered why people buy it.

And finally, for the 27th time - the notch has not "cut into" previously available screen space. It has opened up more screen space by adding pixels which the menubar has now been moved up into, freeing up more screen real estate for work.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I know I’m in the minority, but I like the look of the notch. It shows the exact location of the camera (easy to find/look at) and almost gives a retro look. The screens increased by .2” so nothing is being taken away. Just really wish it included FaceID!

Reactions: NC12

Bandaman

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2019
Mmm … delicious subjectivity.

I know I’m in the minority, but I like the look of the notch. It shows the exact location of the camera (easy to find/look at) and almost gives a retro look. The screens increased by .2” so nothing is being taken away. Just really wish it included FaceID!
According to the poll, you are in the overwhelming majority.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
They did their best to slap an all black keyboard, which is the ugliest thing ever in a MacBook, into a silver top case and you still noticed the notch? :p

I hate the keyboard much more than the notch at this point. But overall, this is the ugliest Apple design in history so far.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I genuinely don't understand why this is such a big fuss.

It's occupying space that's never or rarely used. And we get a larger screen with thinner bezels for it.

Since when is screen being a perfect rectangle a sacred thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.