Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quirky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I want to buy the iphone 13 pro but I have read a lot of rumours telling the notch will go away in 14 Pro. I’m confused now. Should I wait till iPhone 14 pro for the notch to go away or should I buy 13 pro now?

How credible are these rumours? There are so many stating the notch will go away. Is it a sure thing then? All websites list 14 pro versions as the ones without the notch. I don’t mind waiting if it is sure that the 14 pro versions won’t have the notch.

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
There is nothing confirmed yet, but I’d say chances about a punch hole design are good, Ross Young is a very accurate leaker when it comes to iPhone displays, and he predicted a punch hole display for the 2022 Pro lineup. This is also supported by reputable leakers like Gurman (he didn’t talk specifically about a punch hole design but predict a drastic redesign) and less reputable like Ming Chi Kuo or Jon Prosser.

But… the promised boxy design of Apple Watch S7 is a clear example of rumors that aren’t true despite being shared by all those leakers, so it’s not a 100% confirmed rumor

JCCL

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2010
I don't see the notch going away anytime soon - they're adding it to previously notch-less devices. That's just a rumor which will soon be proven false.

They just made it smaller - that's the way I think it will remain for the next couple of iterations.

quirky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I don’t think the notch will disappear and I don’t think Apple will use a punch hole, it’s too Android. I reckon the notch is here to stay.
I read they might use a pill shaped cut-out instead of an android like punch hole.

Reactions: veena3

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
There is nothing confirmed yet, but I’d say chances about a punch hole design are good, Ross Young is a very accurate leaker when it comes to iPhone displays, and he predicted a punch hole display for the 2022 Pro lineup. This is also supported by reputable leakers like Gurman (he didn’t talk specifically about a punch hole design but predict a drastic redesign) and less reputable like Ming Chi Kuo or Jon Prosser.

But… the promised boxy design of Apple Watch S7 is a clear example of rumors that aren’t true despite being shared by all those leakers, so it’s not a 100% confirmed rumor
I really don’t know what to think about the hole punch rumor. On one hand it seems reasonable, but Prosser paired it with flush rear cameras. Aesthetically that sounds great, but it doesn’t make sense to me: The phone would be very thick and heavy, or the cameras would get much thinner, which I don’t believe is physically possible at the moment. It would also mean that Apple spent the resources to make the notch smaller for a single generation. I like the hole punch as an interim solution to under display components, but I don’t know if we’ll see it on next year’s iPhone.

John981

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
There‘s no way Apple redesigned the notch on the iPhone 13 only for it to be used for a single year. And they‘ve just doubled down on the notch branding by integrating one on the MacBooks as well.

Besides, using the cut-outs instead of the notch would mean they‘re ditching Face ID, since those sensors would have to be integrated somewhere as well. Is that really a realistic prospect? I‘d be surprised.

I‘m sure they‘re researching stuff like the circular cut-outs all the time, but I don‘t see this happening. I think it‘s more likely they stick to the notch as a brand identifier and then go to under display solutions once the tech is ready.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
This slightly smaller iteration of the notch is going to be around for another 3-5 years. I doubt Apple will update the notch again until the point that they're able to get rid of it entirely (either hiding it under the display or miniaturising the parts enough to hide in the bezel).

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I think the 14 Pros could either be a modest change or major change. The 13 Pro feels like the culmination of years of perfecting the X design, and everything about the 13 Pro just feels very polished. So even with a change in the 14 Pro (no notch) it won’t do much of anything that much better. We got ProMotion this year, smaller notch this year, and significant camera upgrades. Other than removing the notch and some camera changes next year, I can’t imagine what an iPhone 14 Pro will have over the 13 Pro.

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
All those leaking rumors are just giving you a SWAG. There may be a few that know someone in Apple who is willing to violate their non-disclosure agreement. But for the most part, it’s just click bait If someone does know, they would be under a non-disclosure agreement and they would not have it plastered all over their website.

Button line, take what you hear with a ‘shaker’ of salt.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate NY . Was FL.
There won't be a punch hole for the iphone 14. That's my educated guess. In any case I don't care for either. The punch hole can get distracting also at times. Especially when areas above it are lit and active. Which for me makes it more intrusive.
35820F91-1BCA-43B8-ADDC-67BFC0A82EB6.jpeg

shinigamii

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
I want to buy the iphone 13 pro but I have read a lot of rumours telling the notch will go away in 14 Pro. I’m confused now. Should I wait till iPhone 14 pro for the notch to go away or should I buy 13 pro now?

How credible are these rumours? There are so many stating the notch will go away. Is it a sure thing then? All websites list 14 pro versions as the ones without the notch. I don’t mind waiting if it is sure that the 14 pro versions won’t have the notch.
I would love to see the new iPhone without a notch to experience a full display but do Apple produce new phone notch-less because they would feel like they are copying other brands.?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021

I played with the 13 Pro and liked it, I plan to upgrade next year as my XR is getting a bit long in the tooth, but, I saw the 14 Pro renders from Proser and fell in love! But then all the guarantees it will happen square side Apple Watch rumours proved utterly false and I don't believe this rumoured redesigned iPhone anymore.
They all also completely failed at the launch date of the new iPad Mini even in the day it was launched! So we really can no longer accept what these leakers, both reputable and not, say is gospel anymore.

The only interesting rumours are if they ditch stainless steel for titanium as that means lighter phones. If they did redesign it to not have any camera bumps then that means a noticeably thicker phone too.

Last edited:
Reactions: quirky

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
I don't see the notch going away anytime soon - they're adding it to previously notch-less devices. That's just a rumor which will soon be proven false.

They just made it smaller - that's the way I think it will remain for the next couple of iterations.
Yet they didn’t add a notch to the iPad mini 6. I’m sick of the notch. Tried the iPhone 11 and couldn’t help but not see it. apple knows how to get rid of the notch but how can they change the iPhone design after that? They’re stalling with the notch and then pin hole. By 2035 we’ll have a completely notchless phone.

JCCL

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2010
Yet they didn’t add a notch to the iPad mini 6. I’m sick of the notch. Tried the iPhone 11 and couldn’t help but not see it. apple knows how to get rid of the notch but how can they change the iPhone design after that? They’re stalling with the notch and then pin hole. By 2035 we’ll have a completely notchless phone.
The mini doesn’t even have Face ID tough, and iPads in general they just have fatter bezels. Not a solution they could push to iPhones.

Reactions: alpi123 and ericwn

Crosshatch

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2021
Each year since the iPhone X was released leakers always said next years iPhone would have a smaller notch and it never happened until 4 years later with the iPhone 13, so take these rumors with a massive grain of salt

Reactions: alpi123 and rambo47

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Each year since the iPhone X was released leakers always said next years iPhone would have a smaller notch and it never happened until 4 years later with the iPhone 13, so take these rumors with a massive grain of salt
Exactly! I'll believe the notchless iPhone jazz when I actually can touch one. Until then its smoke and mirrors.

Reactions: Crosshatch

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
They won’t be doing notchless next year. Apple are doing 3 year cycles for design and the 13 is the second year in this cycle so I would imagine the phone next year will br the 3rd instalment of this current design

I do hope they never use a punch hole - it’s awfully Xiamoi circa 2018 and should never be used on something high quality such as the iPhone. The iconic notch is much nicer, especially now it’s smaller on the 13 and IMO they should go with this until they can work out how to eliminate it completely

Reactions: tedley

shinigamii

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
They won’t be doing notchless next year. Apple are doing 3 year cycles for design and the 13 is the second year in this cycle so I would imagine the phone next year will br the 3rd instalment of this current design

I do hope they never use a punch hole - it’s awfully Xiamoi circa 2018 and should never be used on something high quality such as the iPhone. The iconic notch is much nicer, especially now it’s smaller on the 13 and IMO they should go with this until they can work out how to eliminate it completely
That is the worst way they follow to change the design of the phone. Why don't they change according to the trend?? This is bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.