Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Should I wait till iPhone 14 pro for the notch to go away or should I buy 13 pro now?

Yes. Notches are butt ugly. All kinds of denial going on these days by people who bought these phones with the ugly notch. But once the notchless iPhones come out, you'll see people dropping notched phones faster than a turd in a bowl of soup.

But the notch is just one reason to pass on the 13. The square sides are uncomfortable. The phones are too fat and heavy. The cameras are a disaster. It's just really a horrible, horrible experience to use these phones. And to find all of this badness after forking out way too much money...it's just a slap in the face that you (probably) don't deserve.

Steve Jobs has definitely left the building.

Last edited:
Reactions: bryanc28

Kataran

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2015
RI
The Notch has matured into a hood ornament and is so familiar to anyone looking to buy a smartphone that I can see the trend continuing and expanding to more products

I’m the very few that liked the Notch when I bought my iPhone X

Reactions: riczon81

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Do you need a new phone? If no then wait. I think punch hole may happen as it would be nice to see the notch gone but it’s not a big deal for most people

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
May 26, 2019
I want to buy the iphone 13 pro but I have read a lot of rumours telling the notch will go away in 14 Pro. I’m confused now. Should I wait till iPhone 14 pro for the notch to go away or should I buy 13 pro now?

How credible are these rumours? There are so many stating the notch will go away. Is it a sure thing then? All websites list 14 pro versions as the ones without the notch. I don’t mind waiting if it is sure that the 14 pro versions won’t have the notch.
You have your answer, looks like u can survive with your old iphone so why not wait for it, If u are frequent upgrader i wouldn't request you to wait but if you are someone who waits for right model then yes 14 pros are worth the wait as per rumours.

Reactions: quirky

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
There won't be a punch hole for the iphone 14. That's my educated guess. In any case I don't care for either. The punch hole can get distracting also at times. Especially when areas above it are lit and active. Which for me makes it more intrusive. View attachment 1911770
I don't see how that can be distracting.

You're not going to be reading lines of text up there anyway - you centre what you read & scroll through the page so what you read remains near centre of screen.

In saying that, the notch also doesn't bother me, but if the TrueDepth camera system can be shrunk down & used as a punch hole, i'd take that over the notch.

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
I don't understand the hate for the notch. The area up there has signal, connections, battery etc and the camera. If you put a punch hole up there you have to black out that bar anyway otherwise it looks like ****. You might as well use that space for more than a few icons and stick the FaceID cameras there. What else are you going to use it for? You can't go full screen because the hole will be even more noticeable with text / graphics around it.

Until they can get a selfie camera under the screen this is what we are stuck with. Unless they decide to put a selfie screen on the back...

riczon81

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2021
I don't see the notch disappearing any time soon and the reason why I say this is to look at the new MacBook Pro's, this punch-hole crap is definitely not Apple-like to me just saying. I really don't care about the notch at all I have never been bothered by it.

They are going to be wrong on this prediction just like how they said the Apple watch series 7 was going to have squared edges lmao!!

riczon81

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2021
There won't be a punch hole for the iphone 14. That's my educated guess. In any case I don't care for either. The punch hole can get distracting also at times. Especially when areas above it are lit and active. Which for me makes it more intrusive. View attachment 1911770
It's like a big ass pimple on your face that you wish you could get rid of asap lol! That's what those punch-holes remind me of.

Reactions: Fred Zed

riczon81

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2021
Yes. Notches are butt ugly. All kinds of denial going on these days by people who bought these phones with the ugly notch. But once the notchless iPhones come out, you'll see people dropping notched phones faster than a turd in a bowl of soup.

But the notch is just one reason to pass on the 13. The square sides are uncomfortable. The phones are too fat and heavy. The cameras are a disaster. It's just really a horrible, horrible experience to use these phones. And to find all of this badness after forking out way too much money...it's just a slap in the face that you (probably) don't deserve.

Steve Jobs has definitely left the building.
Umm no unless you like spending $1200+ every year. Big Baller; Also suggest you leave Apple and go buy an Android you sound like a crybaby just saying.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
The notch could sort of disappear on the pro line as either finger print only under screen or power button with hole punch. This would allow a full screen as a proper high resolution monitor for the 8K video. 48mp sensor needed for 8K, 2 terabyte storage needed for 8K file sizes and USB C needed to extract those huge files.

All that makes sense together and all leaks so far as I know. Video is the iPhone’s pride and I see 8K happening soon like next year. If this is important to you wait. If not the redesigned notch and lightening port will still be there for the iPhone 14 regular models, so you can buy now if you wish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.