Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Wonder if they'll make a Nothing Phone 3 Pro next year, a high-end flagship caliber phone, and then still have a budget option too.
My biggest complaint about the NP2 was the cheap haptics. If they could improve them, it would be the perfect phone. I think they would knock it out-of-the-park if they made a high-end flagship.

Carl knows what he's doing. I know people like to dunk on him, but his vision for Nothing reminds me of Steve's approach to OS in general. Clean but thoughtful.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Looks like Nothing is getting an iMessage app?

Just partnered with Sunbird to include their app. Very similar to Beepers implementation, basically signing in with your Apple ID credentials to a remote mac mini server farm somewhere.

i don’t need iMessage that badly to blindly give access to my Apple account on a third party controlled Mac.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
Just partnered with Sunbird to include their app. Very similar to Beepers implementation, basically signing in with your Apple ID credentials to a remote mac mini server farm somewhere.

i don’t need iMessage that badly to blindly give access to my Apple account on a third party controlled Mac.
Yikes. I've also read that Sunbird is super sketchy.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
My biggest complaint about the NP2 was the cheap haptics. If they could improve them, it would be the perfect phone. I think they would knock it out-of-the-park if they made a high-end flagship.

Carl knows what he's doing. I know people like to dunk on him, but his vision for Nothing reminds me of Steve's approach to OS in general. Clean but thoughtful.
whats wrong with the haptics

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Bit of a thread bump, but specifically about the Nothing phone 2a.
I picked one of these up a week ago and have been using it since.
The phone costs £319 in the UK.

I am absolutely blown away by this device. Like seriously struck at the value for money this phone offers.
If someone told me to use this for a week and then asked me to tell them the price I'd guess at around double what it RRP's for.

This company truly deserves a whole lot of credit for managing to come up with a phone of this calibre for the price.
Performance is absolutely rock solid, haptics are akin to what you'd find on a flagship, screen (120hz) is great, battery life is absolutely phenomenal.
The camera is the only element where you can sense it is not top tier, but even then it takes pretty admirable shots in even tricky lighting conditions.

To top it all off, the Nothing OS is actually a joy to use. Easily my favourite 'flavour' of android I have experienced so far.
I love the wallpaper setting options to add a "glass" effect to any image. It just looks great and for it to be baked into the OS is so super nice.

I can't say anything but good things about this phone. Truly incredible they have knocked it out the park and to be honest, it makes me just want them to succeed. We need more competition in the Android space and these guys have the ability to do it.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Great review, thanks. I have also heard great things about the Nothing Phone's.

The owner of Nothing is the same guy that originally started OnePlus Phones.

I'm really looking forward to the Nothing Phone 3 being announced in July.

Reactions: Aneres11 and dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Bit of a thread bump, but specifically about the Nothing phone 2a.
I picked one of these up a week ago and have been using it since.
The phone costs £319 in the UK.

I am absolutely blown away by this device. Like seriously struck at the value for money this phone offers.
If someone told me to use this for a week and then asked me to tell them the price I'd guess at around double what it RRP's for.

This company truly deserves a whole lot of credit for managing to come up with a phone of this calibre for the price.
Performance is absolutely rock solid, haptics are akin to what you'd find on a flagship, screen (120hz) is great, battery life is absolutely phenomenal.
The camera is the only element where you can sense it is not top tier, but even then it takes pretty admirable shots in even tricky lighting conditions.

To top it all off, the Nothing OS is actually a joy to use. Easily my favourite 'flavour' of android I have experienced so far.
I love the wallpaper setting options to add a "glass" effect to any image. It just looks great and for it to be baked into the OS is so super nice.

I can't say anything but good things about this phone. Truly incredible they have knocked it out the park and to be honest, it makes me just want them to succeed. We need more competition in the Android space and these guys have the ability to do it.

Get a pair of Nothing Ear (a). The seriously rock solid on any Android and more so on the 2.

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
The one thing I haven't mentioned actually is the glyphs. I mean, I haven't ever once even turned my phone over to look at them so as far as I know they may not even work 🤣. I'm totally not interested in that at all really, huge gimmick. I think they'd be better just keeping the glass transparent back and showing some cool internals rather than putting lights in which no one ever sees. Id rather have my phone face up and let the AOD tell me when a notification comes in rather than some random flashing LEDs.

But yeah, what an amazing device this is. It really has blown me away at how capable it is and how enjoyable it is to use day to day.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
The one thing I haven't mentioned actually is the glyphs. I mean, I haven't ever once even turned my phone over to look at them so as far as I know they may not even work 🤣. I'm totally not interested in that at all really, huge gimmick. I think they'd be better just keeping the glass transparent back and showing some cool internals rather than putting lights in which no one ever sees. Id rather have my phone face up and let the AOD tell me when a notification comes in rather than some random flashing LEDs.

But yeah, what an amazing device this is. It really has blown me away at how capable it is and how enjoyable it is to use day to day.

I got a Pitaka Slim knock off for mine and while I don’t program the glyphs at the moment, it is cool to see a couple of them (calls, charging) that do pop up.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

Goes to show how great stock vanilla Android can be on good [H]ardware.

Nothing Phone 3 rumored to use SD8 gen3 so it will have darn near flagship spec/s

Reactions: Aneres11 and dk001

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Goes to show how great stock vanilla Android can be on good [H]ardware.

Nothing Phone 3 rumored to use SD8 gen3 so it will have darn near flagship spec/s
Honestly, this Mediatek or whatever it is in the 2a is easily on par with the Pixel Fold. I know the Pixel doesn't have bleeding edge internals with Tensor, but this hasn't skipped a beat for me. Unreal performance.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Honestly, this Mediatek or whatever it is in the 2a is easily on par with the Pixel Fold. I know the Pixel doesn't have bleeding edge internals with Tensor, but this hasn't skipped a beat for me. Unreal performance.
Right there you've just highlighted what I feel, Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 or A17 Pro chips are just not needed for most people in a smartphone, no matter what they tell you!

Optimisation is where it's at and it seems from experience and reading that of others, yourself included, Nothing have done a stellar job in the 2a. Sure the camera isn't the best but again, it's more than acceptable for most. The only thing I wish they'd added is Ufs 3.1 instead of 2.2 as I have noticed that shortcoming on a few occasions. Other than that though the 2a is awesome for what you pay.

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Right there you've just highlighted what I feel, Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 or A17 Pro chips are just not needed for most people in a smartphone, no matter what they tell you!

Optimisation is where it's at and it seems from experience and reading that of others, yourself included, Nothing have done a stellar job in the 2a. Sure the camera isn't the best but again, it's more than acceptable for most. The only thing I wish they'd added is Ufs 3.1 instead of 2.2 as I have noticed that shortcoming on a few occasions. Other than that though the 2a is awesome for what you pay.
Yup it's just unreal. I am so shocked at the performance of it. I haven't had one single slow down or hiccup which Pixels are basically renowned for.

Even the recent Xperia 5 V which I think has a SD chip in (flagship) was stuttery. This is absolutely rock solid. I NEVER in a million years thought I'd say it but this is quickly turning into one of my favourite ever devices! It's incredible. And I'm very much a premium flagship kinda guy. I have little time for budget / midrange as there's always issues. This feels like a true flagship device through and through.

Reactions: MarkX

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Must resist… must resist…

I’m kinda taken with the white one.

@Aneres11 - Can we get expect one of your reviews soon?
Ooo I can try!
I feel like I've said a lot of what I need to about the device but I could elaborate more I guess with camera samples. Leave it with me.

The colour... I went black which is very unlike me. Something about the white didn't sit so well with me and I never really look at the back of my device haha but I think I'd have been happy with either colour.

Reactions: andy2141

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Curious how is the battery life?

And it seems the Nothing Phone's are now what the old school early OnePlus phones were, a budget friendly, but high performing Android phone running a tweaked stock Vanilla Android OS. Which in my mind is great.

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Curious how is the battery life?

And it seems the Nothing Phone's are now what the old school early OnePlus phones were, a budget friendly, but high performing Android phone running a tweaked stock Vanilla Android OS. Which in my mind is great.

Battery on my NP2 was good. Not the best but close.
I would suspect the new one should be in similar company.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max introduced ultrawide angle camera
Galaxy S10 series introduced ultrawide angle camera
Both from 2019

Will Nothing Phone (3) include a telephoto to compete with other flagships?

Nothing should only use Qualcomm Snapdragon chips whether flagship or midrange phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.