Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yeldarbly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2022
I'd like to get notifications when my elderly father, who lives next door to me, wanders. We have Airtags and extra iOS devices: a couple old iPhones, a couple iPads, a MacBook Pro we could deploy for the purpose. What I'd like to do is set up a device in the center of his apartment, and have it send me a text if the Airtag moves out of range.

Is this doable with the existing app?

Is there any ITTT solution?

saltcityman11

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2023
Salt Lake City
I'd like to get notifications when my elderly father, who lives next door to me, wanders. We have Airtags and extra iOS devices: a couple old iPhones, a couple iPads, a MacBook Pro we could deploy for the purpose. What I'd like to do is set up a device in the center of his apartment, and have it send me a text if the Airtag moves out of range.

Is this doable with the existing app?

Is there any ITTT solution?
Utilizing Apple’s Find My network, an AirTag can work offline and track your father as long as they are within proximity of any Apple device.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
if your father is having memory issues and wandering. In all likelihood he will remove or forget to bring whatever you try to use. You’re probably better off with a door camera and a door opening sensor. To give you alerts.

From there you can try giving him an iPhone to track and add a tracking device to his keychain. That way you at least know when the door opens and can see if he leaves. While also having some chance of tracking him.

Reactions: tgara and shinemoon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.