Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chatran

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2013
I hope you’re not implying that Apple uses the same logic boards in both products. I’m sure there is processor similarity (and BTW would be similar to the Air, NOT the MacBook which uses “Y” ULV CPUs) but I would have to believe Apple doesn’t carry such inventory that they have to make other products to ship them.

I just typed macbook casually for the whole notebook category since I thought it is well known. That's really out of my expectation. Ok, Macbook Air and Macbook Pro (Retina).

By the way, the boards cost nearly nothing. Only the stuffs on the board cost something.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Not so rare in the beginning. The PowerPC Minis had ATI GPUs, and the 2011 had one as an option. Also, the 2009 and 2010 models had some very nice Nvidia integrated GPUs; I was always surprised just how much performance I could squeeze out of my GeForce 320m. It was at least as powerful as the HD4000 on the 2012 models.

I had those! Good times. Well, actually I remember that the G4 was actually quite slow even when new, dedicated GPU or not. And it ran really loud and hot.

But I have liked all of my other Minis since then.

Reactions: jpietrzak8

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
I just typed macbook casually for the whole notebook category since I thought it is well known. That's really out of my expectation. Ok, Macbook Air and Macbook Pro (Retina).

By the way, the boards cost nearly nothing. Only the stuffs on the board cost something.
Fair enough, probably a few dollars in the board. But it would still require a production line - even with Chinese slave labor at Foxconn I’m sure there is some minimum commitment attached.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.