Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
for some reason, this just struck me as very funny...

I just can see the Mac Geeks yelling "Take it off! Wohooo!"

:)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by BrittasMac
I think it's official that IBM employees have a strange sense of humor.

Ah, I don't think I'd call it humor - more like a feather fetish. This is just weird.

Most likely done intentionally for S&Gs, but I still don't get it. Doesn't fit, marketing wise....:confused:

D

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Big files!

Could they make the images any larger in file size? It is not like we are looking at new pictures from Mars! If anyone has downloaded these pictures can you please post them here in a decent file size? That is, if MacRumours does not have anything in its rules about suggestive pictures with feathers...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
best in context...

Attachments

• picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 916

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
How do we know its a 970?

They just show the underside :D

But ... the pictures show what looks like a interstitial pin grid array. This can be socketed.
In another picture (search IBM pictures for 970) they have a top picture of a CBGA or ceramic ball grid array. CBGAs are for directly mounting to a board.

The CBGA version would likely go into something like a module or laptop motherboard.
The Interstitial PGA would likely go into a motherboard like a PowerMac. A Intel P4 in a typical motherboard is a IPGA.

And to start a rumor, this a rumor site :p , perhaps they don't show the top side with the text because it has the letters 'A' 'P' 'P' 'L' 'E' on it. :D

macdong

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by vniow
Well..if this doesn't confirm that the 970s will make their way into Macs in the future I don't know what does..

Macs = sexy computers
970 = sexy chip

Seems obvious...

I still think they should've put a california red apple in the picture... :D

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
looking at the high resolution up close the pin positions certainly look interesting. :p

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
That's just sick y'all. The 970 should be shone adorned in a mink stole.

Those feathers look like crap left over on Bourbon Street on any given night.

cheers!
-John

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa

wsteineker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2001
Montgomery, AL
Ok, so the jokes have been great, but I feel the need to point out the greater issue here. Am I the only one who is a little disturbed by this? I mean if a friend was to just start behaving like this after years of VERY uptight behavior I'd probably attribute it to a nervous breakdown or some other serious emotional/psychological problem. It's kind of bugging me, really. Like I'm afraid that IBM is going to come to my house and slash my tires and then overdose on barbituates and end up in ICU or something.

Protean Son

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
Rochester, NY
Well...Duh

Everybody outside of the mac world, and that includes IBM as they make PCs, thinks that Macs are the "colorful" computers. Peacock feathers are colorful too. I think its supposed to be a visual cue for us, because no other explanation of the pictures makes sense to me. It would not make sense to me to brag about being feather-like. I also think the sexy-peacock feather hooker thing is ... a really strange conclusion to draw.

Yeah, I think we're supposed to see those colors and think first rev iMacs...hey didn't apple make those.... oh ... clever.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
How about some G4 on G4 action?

Can you make it with dual G4s in the bed? That would be more realistic I think. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.