Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I might get one pack of Blend to give the other SX-70 a run, but at $2/shot (plus shipping), I don't see much reason to use it. Will look nice on the shelf though.

I sold the 110a (a Four Designs mod) hoping I'd run into a 110b converted to packfilm or 4x5 cheap, but it hasn't happened yet.

Dont waste your money on the blend crap.

Stick with normal 600/779 and either modify the SX-70 electronics (replace 1 single capacitor) or use an ND filter (google for the mods, there are lots)

Ive got 2 converted 110As to packfilm, (see my avatar) both are custom and unique, I couldnt just convert, I had to change them.

Ive got a 110B, that I am going to convert eventually. Truthfully, the cost/labor or a 110A/B conversions is worth $400+ at least. Less than that, id argue the seller got gyped (if they did the work themselves). What is cheap to you?

I know of a certain 4x5 110B conversion you can get for, oh, about $4000.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Thought Id resurrect my thread and see if anyone has any Polaroids sitting around?

Someone earlier mentioned a 95b, if they still want to sell it, Id buy. :D

ive gotten into so many more different Polaroid projects id probably buy anything you got.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I know of a certain 4x5 110B conversion you can get for, oh, about $4000.

I'm curious- why wouldn't you just get a 545 or similar back and shoot Type 55 in any cheap 4x5? Cost per shot is higher (around $4.50 these days,) but you'd have to do a heck of a lot of shooting to ROI $4k.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
The thousands of dollar 4x5 cameras are much lighter and easier to transport than most cameras that accept 4x5 backs. They are billed as "hand held Speed Graphics" and the like.

Personally, i cant see myself using 4x5, $2 a shot is too much for me. But, i do like the prospect of using 120 film in a 4x5 camera...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
almost all polaroids take crap images because the glass (in most cases, plastic) is hideous.

this is why im sticking to early models, they had 3-4 element glass lenses.

I just sold this equipment but I used to have a Mamyia medium format camera system that inclued one polaroid film back. The mamiya glass was "world class". Studio photographers would use the pol. film to "proof" the studio lighting, make sure they have all the strobe heads dialin in "right" before they would commit to using "real" film.

The prints made this way were so sharp they held up well under high magnification. They looked sharp even under an 8X glass.

So if anyone is still seriously looking to use polaroid film and wants to make quality images, you can buy a medium format film camera for cheap now

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
I was about to post this in the picture of a day thread, but then I saw the polaroid thread so I thought I'd share some ways to use polaroids...

Nice shot.

Request permission to steal?

For some reason, I was inspired to do a mashup of Transparent Desktops and Accidental Tourist....and thus, a few minutes later:

polaroid2j.jpg

-hh

yeakar

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Pennsylvania
Old cameras...

I don't know very much about old cameras, but I do have a few and even different accessories that go with them.
I have:
(2) Polaroid Wink Light Model 25 with cords

Polaroid Land camera Model 95

Polaroid Capacitor SP? Flash gun 201

Polaroid Model J66

Electric Eye Land Kit

Also a Cine Kodak Eight Model 90.

They are for the most part in their boxes, with some manuals, and straps, and bags and all sorts of gadgets. Anyone have any interest in any of them? I used them to decorate with my own b&w photography, but have been sitting in my attic for awhile. Thanks

robynred

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2009
Polaroid 335 Land Camera

I just recently acquired a 335 Land Camera from the thrift store, looks like it's in excellent condition. I want to try it out, but I can't seem to find info on what type of film it takes. If anyone knows if and where I can still get the film I would really appreciate it.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
I used to take naked pictures of my girlfriends with one of those.:D My wife made me get rid of the pictures and the camera.:( I have to admit, sometimes I miss those pictures.;)

Max Archer

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
This thread makes me miss my days with Polaroids. (Ugh, sounds like a personal problem...)

I spent a lot of time peering through a big Cambo 4x5 camera, went through quite a few Polaroid test shots for every "real" picture I took. That monster took some beautiful photos, it's just too bad that after processing, film, Polaroids, and all that, it was between 6 and 10 bucks per shot!

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
I haven't had time to read this whole thread, but had to jump in anyway.

I still carry a Polaroid I took of my wife 16 years ago. I used a Bronica ETRS 645 with a Polaroid back. Made a nice black & white wallet size image.

I still have the camera and the wife.

I'll take offers on the camera.

firewife828

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2009
Sdashiki

I think I have that camera you have in your picture. Its the fold out kind. I got it when my grandmother passed away last year. If your interested let me know.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
You can find 600 (integral) film at Walmart, CVS etc.

$12-20 for 10 shots.

But it will fit the SX70.

Youd have to tweak the exposure, as the SX70 is built for 150ISO film and the 600 film is 640ISO. But, it works.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I was going to buy a polaroid last year but when the announcement came out about them stopping production of the film I had to think again. :( I ended up buying a Fujifilm instax 100 instead. Flickr tells me it's nowhere near the same quality but they're still making the film and it's cheaper than even the basic polaroid film was before it became an endangered species.

I only bought it because I have ALWAYS wanted an instant camera, just for fun, silly shots. :) It's massive, and it gets a lot of laughs when I bring it out in bars etc

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
I thought Polaroid is going to release a digital version of their camera that uses a special paper to print the images, I heard something about that the camera does not need ink cause the ink comes from the special paper :cool:

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
http://option8.110mb.com/polaroid/FAQ/faqfilm.pack.html

has all the info you need for the films available now, AND for the future.

Fuji makes and plans to continue making the peel apart type pack film. (this is not to be at all confused with Instax which is a smaller version of the other type of Polaroid instant film) At about $0.80-$1 a shot.

No one makes cameras that take peel apart film anymore (except very few handmade or brand names that are $$$), but with the 10s of millions out there from the 1960-1980s in attics and yard sales, theres no need.

If you want to shoot instant film, the Polaroid packfilm cameras are still, and will be, useful.

The Zink paper technology is something, but meh when compared to real film. Theres alot of cons to the printers and the new camera w/printer attached...alot.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I may have some film in the fridg. I used to use it with a medium format camera. Yes you can get some nice quality if you have a $2,000 lens in front of the instant film. I woud use the pol. shots to verify the lighting was corect before shooting with "real film".

Send me a PM with the kind of film you can use and I'll look. I think I have 3 or 4 boxes left

dreamersgal

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2009
Checked my closets

I have a list of polaroid related items , if anyone is interested there all for sale:
polaroid land camera model 80 all steel

polaroid swinger model 20 plastic

polaroid capacitor flash#201

all in case : lenses w/ built in measuring tape
close-up lens#3- max field7 X 9 1/4 inches
lens #2 - field 10 1/2" x 14"
lens #1- field 22" x 28"

model #268 flash attachments
filters half step 1/2 step
yellow filter #1
polariring filter#2 with original instructions # case

polaroid #101 camera

:rolleyes: thanks for looking dreamersgal

Suspended
Jun 16, 2008
Both still work great since I last used them last year.... Film for them is getting very expensive though :mad:
too bad, it still is a great concept.

Attachments

• DSC_0921.JPG
    DSC_0921.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_0927.JPG
    DSC_0927.JPG
    291.3 KB · Views: 121
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.