Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Wow, been a while since I bought a nice digital camera (I've bought a few of those pocket ones).

I have a nice Olympus Digital from back in the day, but I think it needs to be upgraded.

I have an old Nikon SLR film system so a few bodies and lenses.

What is a good all in one camera with a nice lens and zoom?

A Panasonic with a Leica lens?

A Sony with a Zeiss lens?

What else is there?

On a tight budget - been buying too much stuff this year...

I'd like a compact SLR type of camera with a built-in lens with a large zoom.

Going to a Stargate Con in the Summer.... :D

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Bridges are not SLR. They have an electronic viewfinder.
Many are not really compact, but the size of an SLR.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Around $300.

I'm looking at these:

Sony with Zeiss Lens:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&productId=8198552921665087302&langId=-1

Panasonic with Leica Lens:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1206124823&sr=8-5

I know it's not just the lens, but the sensor in these things (back in the day it was the type of film you used).

My old Olympus 3 Megapix had a nice lens and sensor, but it's kinda old:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_product.asp?id=521

EDIT: I had to fix the info the camera I have - older than I thought...

Thanks!

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Around $300.

I'm looking at these:

Sony with Zeiss Lens:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&productId=8198552921665087302&langId=-1

Panasonic with Leica Lens:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC...5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1206124823&sr=8-5

I know it's not just the lens, but the sensor in these things (back in the day it was the type of film you used).

My old Olympus 3 Megapix had a nice lens and sensor, but it's kinda old:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_support_product.asp?id=521

EDIT: I had to fix the info the camera I have - older than I thought...

Thanks!

Cameras today can be helped by good lenses, but the good lenses can also be thwarted by bad software and bad sensors, like you said. I have experience with the pocket-sized cameras, and now also entry-level DSLRs, but not the format you are looking at. But, I would say you should check out this forum, but also camera review sites and their forums live Steve's Digicams (google for the site) and dpreview.com and I think also dcresource.com. There are also others.

I think Canon makes the S5 which is a format like the Pana and Sony. Some folks have had good things to say about that.

There's also the Canon G9, which has a larger sensor than most of these compacts, and full manual control including RAW capabilities. That's what I've just picked up and been playing with for a couple of weeks. Smaller than the format you are looking at, but bigger than a pocket camera. But the G9 is more like $440.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Cameras today can be helped by good lenses, but the good lenses can also be thwarted by bad software and bad sensors, like you said. I have experience with the pocket-sized cameras, and now also entry-level DSLRs, but not the format you are looking at. But, I would say you should check out this forum, but also camera review sites and their forums live Steve's Digicams (google for the site) and dpreview.com and I think also dcresource.com. There are also others.

I think Canon makes the S5 which is a format like the Pana and Sony. Some folks have had good things to say about that.

There's also the Canon G9, which has a larger sensor than most of these compacts, and full manual control including RAW capabilities. That's what I've just picked up and been playing with for a couple of weeks. Smaller than the format you are looking at, but bigger than a pocket camera. But the G9 is more like $440.

That's it! I couldn't remember the website you can go to that has a comprehensive database and review of cameras.

Thanks!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The dpreview database is still not up to date.
You might also find some errors in it.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
If you google "<cameraname> review" (for example "canon G9 review") you'll get lots of review site hits.

There can be factual errors, but what I like the sites for, is they use the same sample still lifes to take pics. So, if you open up two browsers with the two cameras you are considering, you can see sample shots side by side, check vignetting issues, etc. etc.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Many of the hits for "XXX review" are buyer comments or just camera descriptions.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Thanks to all for helping. Well it looks like the Panasonic if I was to get that type of camera.

Now, I don't think I'll be doing "film" anymore anyways, so if I was to trade in my Nikon 35mm SLR system (3 bodies, 5 lenses), which DSLR should I get?

Pentax
Canon
Nikon

?

(runs and hides...)

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Thanks to all for helping. Well it looks like the Panasonic if I was to get that type of camera.

Now, I don't think I'll be doing "film" anymore anyways, so if I was to trade in my Nikon 35mm SLR system (3 bodies, 5 lenses), which DSLR should I get?

Pentax
Canon
Nikon

?

(runs and hides...)

Umm... how about sell the film bodies, and get a Nikon DSLR- all your lenses, flashes, etc. will still work on it. Careful with the D40/40x/60, as they don't have a focus motor, and thus you might have to manually focus. The D80, on the other hand will be a nice addition to your arsenal.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Many of the hits for "XXX review" are buyer comments or just camera descriptions.

True, but I just typed in "G9 review" and got, in order;

digitalcamerareview.com
dpreview.com
cnet.com
theonlinephotographer.com
photographyreview.com
popphoto.com
cameralabs.com

All are reviews of the product, none of them are garbage sites. My experience is that within the first page are usually links to some good review sites. Quicker than posting a message that says "hey, can someone tell me which camera is better" then reading the responses for 3 days :D (kidding, kidding)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What is a good all in one camera with a nice lens and zoom?

We'd all like a digital SLR that fits in a shirt pocket and sells for under $200.

What's your budget? $250, $500, $750? How will you use the images? On screen, small prints, on the web? Wall size prints?

What camera do you have now and why don't you like it.

THe more info you give the more relevant the advice can be

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada

Pentax
Canon
Nikon

?

(runs and hides...)

I would keep the Nikon lenses and trade your bodies and get a D80 really nice camera.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
if I was to trade in my Nikon 35mm SLR system (3 bodies, 5 lenses), which DSLR should I get?

If yu already have Nikon why not stay with it. Yu can find a digital body that will work with what other equipment you already have. Which digital body depends on what you already have. You can spend anything you want. Used DSLR bodies are good deals too.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
S5 IS from Canon is a good camera. I've heard (and seen) great things about these cameras. Not your average point-and-shoot.

npederse

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2007
As a Canon guy, I recommend either the S5 or the G9 -- different styles, but both are good. You may be able to pick up a used S3 for a very reasonable price. I'd check fredmiranda.com for used canon/nikon gear.

If you go the SLR route, then you should definitely look at the Nikons, like a D80. Should allow you to use all of your old lenses. Really depends if you like how the camera feels and the control locations. A lot of the film Nikonians easily transition to digital.

But any of the major names produce a decent slr nowadays. The differentiator for me is lens availability, particularly used lens, which is why I recommend Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Minolta.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
How old are your old lenses?

I'm going to say Nikon D40X unless we get more info about your old gear.

My lenses are really old, and won't work with a 40x, some are not even compatible (something with the mount?).

Most, though, are the original Nikon Auto-Focus Lenses.

I'm on a tight budget, so I'd have to trade everything in to get a DSLR.

Thanks.

iJordo

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
well the best SLR-type cameras....

are all Canon as far as I have seen I would look at the
Canon Powershot S5 IS... it is only running a little under 300$ but has an amazing zoom on it and does alot of SLR type manual features! The Powershot G9 is also fantastic....and finally the PowerShot SX100 IS they are all good......
It would probably be a good idea to look your options up on the sight
http://www.dpreview.com before you buy....it has alot of info...!
Take Care and good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.