Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Really old == Pre-AI?

Are your autofocus lenses F3 AF or newer AF (but no need to reach AF-D)?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well to me, those AI lenses are VERY old. Anything that's AF-D is already fairly old school. :p It's all perspective.

If your lenses are ancient, it may be time to start again. See what you can get for your Nikons and lenses. After that, start thinking about the dSLR. There's no point deciding on which DSLR you want if you don't even know how much money you can spend.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Really old == Pre-AI?

Are your autofocus lenses F3 AF or newer AF (but no need to reach AF-D)?

Thanks for your concerns.

My Nikon equipment is:

N70 Body
FM Body
35-80 AF
80-200 AF
24-50 AF

This are Nikon's first generation AF lenses.

So what to do? Are these good glass? Get rid of everything and start over? Just get a basic Nikon D40? (I see those for about $500 with a basic lens).

I forgot, I do also have a Mamiya 645 to add to the trade-in.

Thanks!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Assuming all these are slow lenses (none f/2.8) it seems this set of glass goes for around $200 in good condition from a photo store.

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
I have the G9. It is absolutely everything I want in a camera right now. Next purchase will be a good flash for it.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Thanks for your concerns.

My Nikon equipment is:

N70 Body
FM Body
35-80 AF
80-200 AF
24-50 AF

This are Nikon's first generation AF lenses.

So what to do? Are these good glass? Get rid of everything and start over? Just get a basic Nikon D40? (I see those for about $500 with a basic lens).

I forgot, I do also have a Mamiya 645 to add to the trade-in.

Thanks!

Assuming all these are slow lenses (none f/2.8) it seems this set of glass goes for around $200 in good condition from a photo store.

So are my lenses worth keeping? Just get a Nikon DSLR (the D40) and use them in manual focus mode?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Those lenses are not very exciting, and you'll lack wide range.
If you decide to keep them, I'd rather go for a used D50 or D70 ($400 in excellent condition with the accessories), to be able to autofocus. The D70s costs a bit more.

If you decide to sell them, a new D50 with 18-55 and 55-200 AFS will cost you around $600 (no VR).

Personally, I prefer a used D50, D70 or D70s to a D40 (and maybe even to D40x and D60). You can always sell your lenses later and maybe spend a bit more on a Sigma 18-200 OS, if the Nikon 18-200 VR is too expensive for you.

I think it's mainly a question of wanting a camera with more than a couple months of warranty. If this is the case, your cheapest option would be the D40 and I would get rid of those lenses.

The D70 can die with BGLOD, but Nikon would fix this even when out of warranty (at least in some countries and when official import).

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
I would highly recommend the S5 IS Canon camera, although I have little experience with the competing brands. I've recommended the S3 IS and the S5 IS over time to about 10 buyers; all of them are satisfied as of this date.

Going into SLR-land in the digital sphere is quite expensive. I really didn't have the money, but I got a 40D and a 24-70 anyways, and it has been absolutely awesome. Now, I just need more time to actually play with it!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Most, though, are the original Nikon Auto-Focus Lenses.

Those will work fine with a Nikon D50, D70, D80 and higher numbered models. They will not autofocus with a D40 or D60.

You best option if you are on a tight budget is to buy a used D50 or D70. These can be had for about $400 now and would allow you to use every older AF Nikon Lens.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If you wear glasses the D100 might be a better choice than newer Nikon DSLRs. It goes for about the same price as the D70.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
If you sell them all, Pentax had the K100D super that should be going down considerably in price now! I highly recommend their products and you don't have to worry about whether or not any old lenses you find will work on the body. Pentax hasn't changed a thing since the M42 screw mount!

And all Pentax DSLR's come with Shake Reduction built in to the camera body instead of the lens, so that will save you a stack of cash compared to buying VR Nikon lenses or IS canon ones.

SLC

npederse

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2007
I'd look at a used canon s3 as it is almost the same with the new s5

If you're interested, I think I saw an S3 on fredmiranda.com for around $200.

But if you're going to go with an SLR, you may want to save the $$ for that.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Those will work fine with a Nikon D50, D70, D80 and higher numbered models. They will not autofocus with a D40 or D60.

You best option if you are on a tight budget is to buy a used D50 or D70. These can be had for about $400 now and would allow you to use every older AF Nikon Lens.

I heard you need to stay away from used digital cameras. You don't know how well they've been treated (like dropped, etc.).

Any good experiences out there?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I bought a used D70 at a shop over a year ago and it still works. They gave me only one month of warranty, but I think they had sent it to Nikon for a checkup.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
Thanks everyone so much for your help.

Looks like, as far as a "nicer" regular camera, and based on dpreview.com, I'm going with the Panasonic Lumix.

Now, as far as DSLRs, leaning towards the Nikon, as I don't think my equipment is really worth anything anymore, and I can at least use the lenses in manual focus mode...

I mean, does anyone actually use film anymore? That would be the only reason for trading everything in - to get rid of my film camera equipment.

Any more thoughts are welcomed.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
To practically manual focus your lenses, you will really need a focusing screen (around $40, $70, or $105, depending on the model). The prisms will affect autoexposure a bit, so you will need to adjust compensation.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The viewfinder screens on Nikon DSLRs are plain, they don't have any split image or microprisms to help focusing. There is the green dot, but it's very hard to hunt for it without any visual help.

The D60 has a better rangefinder that shows you how far you are on either side, but I don't know how practical that is compared to an old school screen.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
If you've got Nikon lenses, go with the D40.

Get an SLR.

Yes, I spoke with a really knowledgeable salesman at a camera shop and he says it's a great camera at that price.

Thanks all for your help!

I have just ordered the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8K. He also recommended that one for an all-in-one camera and has a really nice lens (Leica).

I will use that for now, and eventually sell off my film SLR cameras and get the D40 (I may keep a lens or two).

HooHar

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I have the S5 and G9 and I only use the G9 - it does everything you could wish for and does it better.

If you want to take portraits though - where split second timing matters - you'd be better off going down the SLR route. I find that the lag you get with compacts just ends up being frustrating.

Cheers
Hoohar :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.