Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
I had an OLED Asus Zenbook I got from Fingerhut, but I unfortunately had to send it back because of the high price. I loved it, however. But my question to you is this: Is OLED a necessity? I’ve kinda got it stuck in my mind that it’s OLED or nothing, but would FHD be an option? I see lots of good deals on FHD laptops and I don’t really plan on watching much content on whatever I get.

So, do you think I should get something now or save to get an OLED laptop? Ideally I’d like to make payments on it on Amazon.

Thank you! 😊

Reactions: Technerd108

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Not to be rude but if you are sending things back because they are too expensive or you’re making payments on Amazon then maybe get whatever your budget allows.

Reactions: robvalentine

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I had an OLED Asus Zenbook I got from Fingerhut, but I unfortunately had to send it back because of the high price. I loved it, however. But my question to you is this: Is OLED a necessity? I’ve kinda got it stuck in my mind that it’s OLED or nothing, but would FHD be an option? I see lots of good deals on FHD laptops and I don’t really plan on watching much content on whatever I get.

So, do you think I should get something now or save to get an OLED laptop? Ideally I’d like to make payments on it on Amazon.

Thank you! 😊
OLED and FHD are different descriptions of different things. OLED is a type of screen and FHD is the resolution. You have HD 720p, Full HD 180p, QHD or 1440p as common resolutions. The higher the better. FHD is fine on 14" screen but any bigger and you can see pixels and looks a little fuzzy. 2K or higher is best for anything above 14". HD is not recommended.

Screen tech comes in TN panel, IPS, OLED, mini-led. Tn is worst in viewing angles but has deep blacks. Generally old tech that is no longer used but for the cheapest devices and some old gaming monitors. IPS has very good viewing angles and color accuracy depending but suffers from poor contrast ration and grey looking blacks. OLED has infinite contrast ratio because individual pixels are lighted but has poor white balance compared to IPS, Oled has lower brightness compared to IPS. Mini led is IPS with higher number of lighting zones to create a much higher contrast ratio much like OLED-has higher brightness but suffers from blooming. No image retention in any IPS but can be an issue with older OLED screens.

IPS displays are most common with OLEDS becoming more popular due to the price dropping. Some IPS displays can be very good and rival OLED. If I were you I would not restrict myself to OLED. There are great IPS panels on laptops. I think contrast ration, color accuracy, brightness, and resolution are more important than OLED or IPS. If you can save a couple hundred and get a 90%% or better NTSC color accuracy with at least 2k resolution or better and decent contrast ration with at least 400 nits SDR you are good.

If budget is an issue the i13700h Asus zenbook 14 OLED can be had for around $699 on sale at bestbuy. If you finance through bestbuy credit you can get no interest on 12 months! I think now it is around $799. I don't know of a better laptop for the cost.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Thank you! 😊
Your simple preference is fine and there are many good reasons that most, even Apple are transitioning to OLED

A 2k 120hz OLED panel with 550nits is a good place to be on a 14" laptop monitor without dedicated graphics

If your a serious gamer then obviously OLED is not a consideration

You will read endless threads on colour accuracy and peak brightness but these are really from the perspective of would be semi pro photographers harping on about proofing on the go and use so called OLED burn in as a defence in choosing IPS

For all round usage the shear pop, true blacks, high contrast and vibrancy of OLED in day to day use is great choice

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is OLED a necessity?
No, and personally I prefer IPS panels

but would FHD be an option?
I think you're confusing display panel technology and resolutions. FHD is the resolution a given display panel can run at natively. It doesn't matter if we're talking OLED or IPS. FHD imo, is a little low (1920x1080) even for laptops in this day and age and I would avoid it. If I were buying a laptop with a QHD (2560 x 1440) or maybe 4k

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

This might be a better option? More Memory and decent processor. Should be more efficient than the 13500h.

Here is another,

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
This is exactly what I’ve been looking for. Thank you so much! But I have one question. I was going through the pictures and it says it has Dynamic AMOLED 2X just like the Samsung Tab S9 series. Is this correct because I don’t see it listed anywhere else?
if you click on the see more product detail and scroll right down you will get a side by side listing of all of them :)

sammy.jpg

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

If you can afford it and I know it may be a stretch this seems like a much better value. The full hd screen on a large screen may be an issue? This one also has a better processor and I think it will make a difference in the long run.

But you can't go wrong with either. The GalaxyBook's are fantastic with one flaw on the third gen. The speakers are a bit low. otherwise it is a incredible laptop for the cost. Either one. Full HD on OLED is much better than IPS. Although I would prefer 2k or higher the fullhd OLED is very nice. Maybe buy the lowest cost model and try it out?

I think the Galaxy Book is a nicer laptop overall to the Asus. The build quality and materials and design of the GalaxyBooks is a ouple steps up! I have the Asus I am selling now with i7 13700h and Oled screen and it is probably a tougher device. I think it would survive a fall without internal or other damage whereas the Galaxybooks are more fragile and have to handle them with more care but they are much lighter while still feeling solid. So this find by Steve is a pretty sweet deal I think considering.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

If you can afford it and I know it may be a stretch this seems like a much better value. The full hd screen on a large screen may be an issue? This one also has a better processor and I think it will make a difference in the long run.

But you can't go wrong with either. The GalaxyBook's are fantastic with one flaw on the third gen. The speakers are a bit low. otherwise it is a incredible laptop for the cost. Either one. Full HD on OLED is much better than IPS. Although I would prefer 2k or higher the fullhd OLED is very nice. Maybe buy the lowest cost model and try it out?
There is a 14" in Graphite that is also similar :)

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Nice find!!!
Thanks, I did not want to upsell the OP, but yes the ~$900 are sweeter and have AMOLED

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021

Thanks, I did not want to upsell the OP, but yes the ~$900 are sweeter and have AMOLED
Yes I saw that too! Same price and you can pick your size. Resolution should be a little higher on the 14" and battery life should be a bit better on the larger model.

I would be happy with either one for the price. I honestly don't think there is a better windows laptop for the price unless you can find an LG Gram with similar specs for the same price then it is just what brand you prefer LG is generally a little lighter but not and solid feeling. It is a good find.

I have always loved GalaxyBooks if I could afford them. I had the Blue model with the stylus in the garage a long time ago and have had several since. It was a Fingerprint magnet but a beauty!!

Reactions: SteveJUAE

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yes I saw that too! Same price and you can pick your size. Resolution should be a little higher on the 14" and battery life should be a bit better on the larger model.

I would be happy with either one for the price. I honestly don't think there is a better windows laptop for the price unless you can find an LG Gram with similar specs for the same price then it is just what brand you prefer LG is generally a little lighter but not and solid feeling. It is a good find.

I have always loved GalaxyBooks if I could afford them. I had the Blue model with the stylus in the garage a long time ago and have had several since. It was a Fingerprint magnet but a beauty!!
You also get Win 11 Pro, that is not much to most other than you should also get Copilot Preview

• Love

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
You also get Win 11 Pro, that is not much to most other than you should also get Copilot Preview
Yep, but copilot preview is available to everyone on 23h2 and on the upcoming 24h2! But Pro is a pretty nice free addition! It is $99 if you want to upgrade through Windows so that is a good savings added in the laptop!

Also nice to have Pro installed instead of having to upgrade!!

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2021
So, is the one Steve showed me good? I don’t want a screen that isn’t sharp and crisp and I still don’t understand if it comes with an AMOLED screen or not. The $999 one is out of the question for now, but never say never. Thing is, I want a laptop now and not latter. Sorry for being a bum. Lol. 😊

EDIT: I see that it’s just a FHD resolution. The other ones have AMOLED panels.

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
So, is the one Steve showed me good? I don’t want a screen that isn’t sharp and crisp and I still don’t understand if it comes with an AMOLED screen or not. The $999 one is out of the question for now, but never say never. Thing is, I want a laptop now and not latter. Sorry for being a bum. Lol. 😊

Really IPS vs OLED is not an issue in that particular laptop as Samsung IPS panels are pretty good. The problem is the full hd resolution is a bit lacking. Again Samsung panels are pretty good and may not even be noticeable.

I think the original model should be very nice. I really recommend trying it out and seeing for yourself. You might say, you know what I want to spend the extra money to get the OLED. You have used the Asus Oled so you sort of know what to expect. Resolution on the Asus is 2.8k vs 1080 or almost 3 x higher resolution than the Samsung. The Oled panels on the GalaxyBook are at 3k or 3 x times full hd.

Basically around 2-3k is sort of similar to a retina screen.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Both the LG Gram and the Samsung circa $700 models are just
  • (1920 x 1200) Anti-Glare IPS Non Touch Matt Displays

LG Summary

1920 x 1200 Aspect Ratio display with full DCI P3 coverage,

16:10 Pixel Density

161 PPI

No Touch Screen

Screen-To-Body Ratio 90%

The LG gram 14 is only available with a 60Hz display. Its slow response time causes noticeable ghosting, which isn't ideal for viewing fast-moving content or gaming. If you want a productivity laptop with a higher refresh display, check out the ASUS Zenbook 14 Flip OLED (2023).

The LG gram 14's FHD+ display looks very sharp and provides just enough space for split-screen multitasking. Its 16:10 aspect ratio is better suited for productivity than a standard 16:9 screen, as the increased vertical space allows you to see more information when reading a document or website, reducing the need to scroll. If you want a similar productivity laptop with a sharper display, check out the ASUS Zenbook 14 OLED (2024).
F(rom Rting review)

The Samsung is very similar spec but 16:9, maybe a little duller at only 300nits (325 on the Gram) and not so good colour coverage, The Gram display seems marginally better.

Both of these laptops are more business orientated work horses, but given the Samsung's are coming with 16GB of ram and windows pro makes up other short falls

The bottom line is the AMOLED is where you want to be and with the Samsung you can choose the 14 or 15.6 models both have bigger batteries too so get more for your $200 extra and in Graphite :)

IMO you wont be happy with the cheaper screens in matt on the base models LG or Samsung and you really need to see these IRL and if you stick the AMOLED next to it then well I told ya so lol

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
OLED on laptops is pointless IMO. They are a huge battery drain and I'd rather have a brighter IPS display than an OLED screen that has a chance of burn in just to get those deep blacks. I don't watch movies on my laptop so I couldn't care less about the "high school crush" deep blacks. OLED is the new high school crush for laptops.

However, OLED as a TV, that's another story.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
OLED on laptops is pointless IMO. They are a huge battery drain and I'd rather have a brighter IPS display than an OLED screen that has a chance of burn in just to get those deep blacks. I don't watch movies on my laptop so I couldn't care less about the "high school crush" deep blacks. OLED is the new high school crush for laptops.

Funny how many OEM's seem to disagree with you, even Apple will be fully transitioned to OLED by 2027 because to the advantages, including power consumption.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

Well, I am not sure. Some OLED screens are getting very bright. I suppose my next laptop may have an OLED screen. But I am still waiting to see how the technology develops. This year we will probably get a few more OLED laptops to check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.